Derby County v QPR Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Kernow said:

Probably our best XI when all fit, Ibe will take someone's spot on the bench.

I think Bielik may drop between Davies and Clarke to allow Buchanan and Byrne to push forward as wing-backs. It would be nice if MTW could grow into the RCB role more and take Davies' place, then we've got the look of a good, long-term eleven there without needing another summer of mass overhaul.

Lawrence dies not do enough of 90 minutes for me. Give him 45 mm ins and bring on I've. See who is the.most effective.

It'll be really interesting to see what he does for this one as I imagine Jozwiak comes straight back into the side. But I just can't see him leaving Rooney out, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe he'll go to a back 4 and drop te Wierik.

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It'll be really interesting to see what he does for this one as I imagine Jozwiak comes straight back into the side. But I just can't see him leaving Rooney out, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe he'll go to a back 4 and drop te Wierik.

QPR is possibly a game to try the back 4 again, I’m just not comfortable with anyone as a partner for Clarke though. Think it might wait until Bielik is ready to start, and we can switch seamlessly between the 2 formations.

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Dropping Shinnie would be insane,  but I get the feeling people are always going to want him dropped.

I find Shinnie is something of a weird case of both playing well but also feels like he is limiting us or at least in how we are currently setting up.

Since the shift to a 343, the knight/shinnie midfield and moving away from playing out from the back results and performances have picked up however I can't help the reason we've not been converting some of these good starts into more points is we currently don't keep the ball particular well nor can we can control a game. The last 3 games have pretty much followed an overall pattern of initially playing a counter pressing game were we look to attack quickly, get a goal and then slowly but surely fall further back as we can't keep up the press nor can we reliably keep the ball to take the sting out of the game. Unlike earlier in the season we are essentially set up to play without the ball, to be attacking we have to counter press and look to attack quickly. That's energetically costly especially when you aren't keeping the ball really at all and when you have players coming back from injury and playing twice a week. 

Cardiff I feel is the perfect example. Cardiff are not really a "footballing" side they average less than 50% possession and hover around 70% pass completion, yet against us they have 56% possession and 79% pass completion. Why? Most people would answer something like "we've gone defensive after scoring". Personally though I think it overlooks that we weren't in control particularly or keeping the ball at all before then and after the goal we kept attacking when we could. But as time wore on we couldn't keep the press up with how frequently we were giving up possession. It's a game with the right personal we should have been able to comfortable at 1-0 because Cardiff never looked that dangerous and we should have been able to have large stretches were we starved them of the ball. But we didn't and because of that it's far more likely they get one chance.

Personally I think we need tweak to who is playing, the system or maybe both so we can keep the ball better and be able to control the game or else we are going to largely repeat this same play pattern. And with that the most obvious places to consider are changing the midfield and the defence. Shinnie has been stellar defensively but can be slow on the ball and all too often doesn't do enough to create passing angles for the defence/rest of midfield or look to get on the ball enough, making it more difficult to play into midfield. Whereas Knight has been comparable defensively whilst having the ability to break forward. I think that's why people are suggesting a different direction.  I also think the idea that we would be cut through without him is somewhat unfounded and untested, he certainly helps in that regard but I don't think it's a given.

Some what conservative approach:

Marshall

Te Wierik Davies Clarke

Byrne   Knight   Bird   Buchanan

Jozwiak  Waghorn  Lawrence   

More ambitious:

Marshall 

Byrne Te Wierik* Clarke Buchanan

Bielik/Shinnie/Bird

Knight         Sibley

Jozwiak     Waghorn        Lawrence

*Kinda depends on how Te Wierik has been training.

What I expect the team to be:

Marshall

Te Wierik Davies Clarke

Byrne   Knight   Shinnie Buchanan

Waghorn  Rooney Jozwiak 

Marshall, Byrne, te Wierik or Wisdom, Davies, Clarke, Buchanan, Shinnie, Knight, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn 

Pretty much picks itself at the moment with who’s fully fit and who’s playing relatively well. Trying to slot Bielik in is the next step.  Rooney on the bench at best, but anticipate he will be bed blocking up front or something again. 

49 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's a weird argument to make when he's consistently been first choice or first midfield option on the bench since his first league start.

I seem to remember him getting dropped a fair few times last season and not being back in for ages after he was injured. Maybe it's perception of mine rather than reality. 

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I seem to remember him getting dropped a fair few times last season and not being back in for ages after he was injured. Maybe it's perception of mine rather than reality. 

If I remember rightly he didn't start in the league till Wigan. Then played a few games on the spin before getting injured. By the time he we fit Rooney and Bird had cemented their places as first choice and Shinnie became first rotation. He then rotated with those two as fitness/availability/tactics called for.

This season he's started all but 1 game right ? 

On 31/10/2020 at 19:20, Anag Ram said:

I’m really not sure what Holmes offers this team.

Simple energy isn’t enough. His decision making is very poor.

He is in good company with the rest of the team then. Hardly world beaters on the decision making front.

What I'd like to see:

Marshall

Byrne   Te Wierik    Clarke    Buchanan

Shinnie

Knight                    Sibley

Jozwiak                                        Lawrence

Waghorn

This is what am ambitious manager would do, but we have Cocu and there are too many forward players on the pitch there!

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What I'd like to see:

Marshall

Byrne   Te Wierik    Clarke    Buchanan

Shinnie

Knight                    Sibley

Jozwiak                                        Lawrence

Waghorn

This is what am ambitious manager would do, but we have Cocu and there are too many forward players on the pitch there!

To be fair to Cocu, has there been a single game this season where all the highlighted players have been fit to start together?

Archived