Abu Derby County

tinman

4 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

A counter to this argument, is the history of the recent investment / takeover. Mel has repeatedly said that any potential takeover would only happen if it were in the best interests of the club. Mel is a smart guy and a brilliant businessman. He will be doing his due diligence and fit and proper persons checks etc. There is no way Mel would just blindly and knowingly sell the club he loves without ensuring the future is in good hands. 

Unless he sells , makes a few quid and buys it back for a song?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a great time for a takeover - there's a distinct possibility that FFP will be suspended (or at least significantly amended) due to the impact of Covid on club finances. If they loosen the rules on investment to help clubs survive, it could prove a huge boost to any club that suddently gets a new owner who wants to pump money in.....

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Can you still love your club if it's being run by people involved in the running of states in which human rights abuses regularly take place? 

Hmmm.. Thinks for 3 seconds. 

Yes. 

(PS are the Conservatives buying a football club?). 

This is my terrible investigation, and some of this has probably already been said...

Sheikh DJ Khalid is the half brother of Sheikh Mansour, the owner of Man City. Mansour has personal wealth of $22bn. I’ve been unable to find personal wealth for DJ Khalid, but he has $150bn in family wealth and is the head of a $875bn investment fund (biggest in the world), as well as being the current president of the UAE. He’s older than Mansour, who is the deputy Prime Minister, so this leads to me to believe he’s richer than Mansour. 

All that said... this is still Derby, so...

a) we will somehow have the richest guy going who won’t spend money

b) he will get denied and will buy someone else, who will go on to win the champions league within 10 years

c) he will be fawaz 2.0

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I'm not feeling seduced

I trust Mel. I don't fancy being a toy club even if it brought success like Fawaz did at Forest...

On a personal level I'd be happy to be seduced (and I'll be anyone's toy for the  right money....)

8 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

That would be how I’d describe some of my hormone driven activities on nights out when I was a teenager.

Ffs, you’re the third person to make sexual remarks back to my post.

Why do you all make it so hard? It makes me groan. 

Just now, TomTom92 said:

This is sort of takeover is bound to split the fans. Personally I couldn't care less where the money is coming from, just get us in to Europe Sheikhy baby. 

Disclaimer - I am aware that I'm a bit of a helmet so not saying my stance is great at all ?

Also wonder if a lot of the people saying no have been lucky enough to have already seen us win Division 1 and play in Europe. If that's the case I could see why they might be more sceptical of it all. For a young'un like me its the dream scenario. 

I'm 21 and still abit sceptical, I'd give it a chance but wouldn't want us to loose our identity and sell ourselves out to potentially dodgy owners. I'd love to see us build a team that could storm the league but it could also be a Hull situation where they try and change the name and end up screwing the club over. 

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'm 21 and still abit sceptical, I'd give it a chance but wouldn't want us to loose our identity and sell ourselves out to potentially dodgy owners. I'd love to see us build a team that could storm the league but it could also be a Hull situation where they try and change the name and end up screwing the club over. 

You’d hope being related to the Man City owner they might have a better idea of what to do. Wishful thinking maybe. 

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I wouldnt if we become plastic with a new stadium called God knows what, no local players, £80 tickets and a soulless club. 

At many times we have had very few local players. Sometimes none in our starting eleven or squad, it’s only recently that’s changed. And our stadium is great anyway.

Had Mel had the right people calling the shots when he took over I think we would be premier league by now. However when you look at the mess rich absentee owners have got so many clubs in ( Hello Hull Tigers) to have a wealthy local owner who is a fan has been great for the club. Would it be great  to have one of the richest people in the planet fund success - yeah - competing with the best in the world would be fun. Watching Louie Sibley out hustle Messi, sure, and Derby challenge in the Champions League. Oh wait, Steve Gibson’s EFL would never let it happen. I’m happy  with Mel anyway.

Archived