Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Where will the Sheikh pop up next ????????

From my calculations, based on his roaming across the country, perhaps staying a la Partridge, in Travelodge accommodation, London clubs should be on high alert.

8478F602-E516-4316-8057-23950896EC94.jpeg

I’m worried for Plymouth Argyle. After all, everyone else will be heading to Devon and Cornwall this summer with no overseas travel!

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

For a very long time I was very much of the opinion “these things take a long time”, “none of us know what the hold us all about”, “give it time” etc. but now accept they look like nothing more than tyre kickers. I can’t really think of anything they could say that would give me any comfort or confidence. 

Yes, it might be interesting to know the full story but we’ll probably have to wait for the Oprah Winfrey interview before we get that

You were quite right to be thinking along that, the fact that this looks like it's ultimately failed to materialise doesn't make up for some of the bedwetting that went on!! These things do take months to work through, usually in private but with a football club, privacy seems to be quite difficult so it gets played out in public and people, sometimes understandably, get rather impatient....

5 hours ago, rad1919 said:

Mel Morris did!

Good point ? but you would assume now no one would commit money untill they understand the financial implications of what league were in next year. Unless I guess they have so much money they don't care or think they could assist strip us ?

7 hours ago, RammingStone66 said:

Good point ? but you would assume now no one would commit money untill they understand the financial implications of what league were in next year. Unless I guess they have so much money they don't care or think they could assist strip us ?

To be fair it was a calculated risk by a wealthy man who had the opportunity to buy the club he supports. If we somehow managed to lose to QPR in the play off final, automatic promotion was almost guaranteed the following season. The odds were stacked in our (and his) favour and we all know the unhappy ending.

The scenario for any potential investor now is totally different.

Our club is a mess. There are investigations off the pitch that won't go away and the stuff played on the pitch is bad beyond comprehension.

It would take a brave person or group of people to take a punt on us again.

30 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

To be fair it was a calculated risk by a wealthy man who had the opportunity to buy the club he supports. If we somehow managed to lose to QPR in the play off final, automatic promotion was almost guaranteed the following season. The odds were stacked in our (and his) favour and we all know the unhappy ending.

The scenario for any potential investor now is totally different.

Our club is a mess. There are investigations off the pitch that won't go away and the stuff played on the pitch is bad beyond comprehension.

It would take a brave person or group of people to take a punt on us again.

Yeah exactly, Mel buying the club made business sense  with the trajectory everyone predicted. Ok everything that could go wrong for him pretty much has ?.  But like you say anyone buying us now would be taking a huge gamble, even if we stay up it's a gamble. I just can't see Alonso, the Americans or anyone else really getting serious untill we know what division we are in.

The club is yet to comment on whether this deal is dead so presumably it’s still on. The question is: when will we know. It was stated that it will be concluded by Christmas but that is 9 months away. I’m beginning to get a little restless. 

54 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

The club is yet to comment on whether this deal is dead so presumably it’s still on. The question is: when will we know. It was stated that it will be concluded by Christmas but that is 9 months away. I’m beginning to get a little restless. 

Yea defo still on I would think....any decade now ?

32 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Rather surprised the club hasn’t commented on the loan that has been handed to all championship clubs due to losing income revenue regarding ticket sales.

Only mentioning as most teams on Twitter have released/shared the statement provided by the EFL..

The loan is to the league, it's upto individual clubs to tap into it, maybe we haven't?

34 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Rather surprised the club hasn’t commented on the loan that has been handed to all championship clubs due to losing income revenue regarding ticket sales.

Only mentioning as most teams on Twitter have released/shared the statement provided by the EFL..

I don't think the Rams and Sheffield Wednesday are eligible due to the EFL charges, not 100% sure but I remember something from Kieran Maguire stated on his podcast "The Price of Football" when the government loan fell though in January.  

26 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Loans have to be repaid. If any business isn't making a profit then loan repayments just add to the costs.  We need grants not loans.

Why so few seem to be taking up arms on this point is beyond me. Replacing permanently lost income with more borrowing is simply going to grind everything down over future periods. 

The efl/gov whoever is pushing this scheme should be called out. Turning football into Greece. 

Archived