Abu Derby County

tinman

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If they have lost their investment but they can't walk away then that leaves us in the daft position of having exchanged contracts whilst being totally unable to complete. 

Surely there is a mechanism to kill the deal? They lost their backer, that's on them. If they get penalised as a result that's their problem. 

See above

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Being a season ticket holder makes you a customer, not a stakeholder. There is a big difference from the clubs perspective. 

No, no it doesn't.

Fans are the biggest stakeholder in any football club and should never be referred to as 'customers'

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We should just do what Leicester did a few years ago and default on them all with impunity.

It still grates me every time I see Fester on tv ...they didn’t pay what they owed and now look where they are ...could easily have been us but we try to pay our debts 

14 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

No I disagree, “expect” is the correct term. 
I have a stake in the club in the form of a Season Ticket holder. They have £600 of my money - I expect to be informed whether this will ever be returned to me and the future direction of the club. 

Well I guess you can expect all you like but it doesn’t mean you’ll get. And, to be blunt, we’re “customers” not shareholders. So, whilst we have a very strong interest and emotional attachment to the club, we don’t really have a “stake” (well maybe as extremely minor creditors).

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

It still grates me every time I see Fester on tv ...they didn’t pay what they owed and now look where they are ...could easily have been us but we try to pay our debts 

That and it appears to be the "leicester just get a free pass on all that stuff....because it makes the story less good if they were really bamfords when it got sold"

7 minutes ago, therams69 said:

No, no it doesn't.

Fans are the biggest stakeholder in any football club and should never be referred to as 'customers'

We have an emotional stake in the club, not an actual stake in legal terms.

Fans can dress it up as much as they want, but we are customers and in terms of our rights and entitlements, they are that of a customer. The product is entertainment and we access it via season tickets, TV subs, merch and so on. 

When clubs end up in trouble and need to make hard financial decisions we are customers. When it suits them we are fans, 'stakeholders' and such. 

The simple reality is that we are customers. 

Who wants to be owned by people who have to scrounge around for cash. I know it’s a lot of money, but imagine future transfers and other investments in the club. Would they be able to find the money then?

my guess is only if we are are in the premier league and they have funds from tv

1 minute ago, StrawHillRam said:

Who wants to be owned by people who have to scrounge around for cash. I know it’s a lot of money, but imagine future transfers and other investments in the club. Would they be able to find the money then?

my guess is only if we are are in the premier league and they have funds from tv

BZG may well have had the backing, but having apparently lost it just as quickly I also have no faith in their ability to support a club long term. 

6 minutes ago, therams69 said:

No, no it doesn't.

Sadly, you’re wrong. We’re not stakeholders, we don’t own a stake in the club. Dress it up as much you like, the cold hard facts are that we are just customers. The club offers a product and we choose whether to buy it or not. I accept we have far more emotional attachment to the club than other suppliers we buy from (so a little bit more than a traditional customer) and whilst they may not always be do the best, I’m sure the club tries to recognise that, at the end of the day if any of us choose to walk away then our seat will, eventually, be taken by somebody else.

I agree we shouldn’t be referred to customers (and when the club talk about us they never do) but we’re fans/supporters not technically stakeholders that have a right to demand certain things.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We have an emotional stake in the club, not an actual stake in legal terms.

Fans can dress it up as much as they want, but we are customers and in terms of our rights and entitlements, they are that of a customer. The product is entertainment and we access it via season tickets, TV subs, merch and so on. 

When clubs end up in trouble and need to make hard financial decisions we are customers. When it suits them we are fans, 'stakeholders' and such. 

The simple reality is that we are customers. 

That feels a bit harsh. As far as I’m aware the club ALWAYS refers to us fans in good times and bad not just “when it suits them”

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That feels a bit harsh. As far as I’m aware the club ALWAYS refers to us fans in good times and bad not just “when it suits them”

It was less about when the club refer to us, and more about when it comes down to finances that's what we are to them. 

It suits them to refer to us as fans publicly but when they are taking about season ticket numbers, shirt sales, memberships etc it's irrelevant what label we are given. We are customers. 

10 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Exactly, even if the takeover was to go through I have no confidence that they will invest anything, we could be the next Wigan. Also, in the so-called binding legal document surely there must be a deadline for the transfer of funds, surely? I would prefer some temporary local investment to see us be able to pay the wages, keep our best players, bring a couple in and get through the season. Then sort out a permanent takeover in the summer.

45 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The impression that I got was that the timescale for closing has been missed.

I stress that I just don't know how credible this is. One thing though, the original source for this is supposedly an attempt to alert potential investors that the club is back on the market. If it is genuine, I would be amazed if the journos don't get wind of it very shortly. 

I'd suggest that if it isn't in the 'papers' by tomorrow, it is just BS.

Lol. Wouldn't it be easier to 'cut out the middle men' and just tell the journos?

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

BZG may well have had the backing, but having apparently lost it just as quickly I also have no faith in their ability to support a club long term. 

Totally agree with you. Not only do they have to fund £60m capex  they also have to find the ongoing  opex, such as wages etc. With revenue streams  much reduced they will be making a loss and have to pump in more and more cash even to keep the club standing still

of course players sales (asset stripping) and  PLTV money (not going to happen for at least this season and next) would close some of that  gap 

i think it’s a gamble that doesn’t make financial sense. Only a true fan would sink  his money into a football club outside the PL or very top of the championship

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Exactly, even if the takeover was to go through I have no confidence that they will invest anything, we could be the next Wigan. Also, in the so-called binding legal document surely there must be a deadline for the transfer of funds, surely? I would prefer some temporary local investment to see us be able to pay the wages, keep our best players, bring a couple in and get through the season. Then sort out a permanent takeover in the summer.

Agree, that would be better. Become a club of the local community. Not a so called prince’s play set

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sadly, you’re wrong. We’re not stakeholders, we don’t own a stake in the club. Dress it up as much you like, the cold hard facts are that we are just customers. The club offers a product and we choose whether to buy it or not. I accept we have far more emotional attachment to the club than other suppliers we buy from (so a little bit more than a traditional customer) and whilst they may not always be do the best, I’m sure the club tries to recognise that, at the end of the day if any of us choose to walk away then our seat will, eventually, be taken by somebody else.

I agree we shouldn’t be referred to customers (and when the club talk about us they never do) but we’re fans/supporters not technically stakeholders that have a right to demand certain things.

You are conflating the term stakeholder with shareholder. A stakeholder is generally considered to be anyone with an interest in a business. It is usually considered that stakeholders in a business include shareholders, management, employees, customers and suppliers. Supporters of a football club are always considered stakeholders.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is it just as simple as walking away?

It was reported that contracts had been exchanged. 

Unless any terms of the contract have been breached then you cant just walk away.

One would assume a long stop date for completion was included in the contract though.

Wednesday at midnight was the cut off date apparently 

The backer for the deal to be done by 24th Dec has pulled out, but since then the club have come out and still said the deal is close to being done so the Sheikh must be confident/close to getting another backer.

His business is getting consortiums & backers then investing in companies etc, so if he does get another backer from his list of contacts then I see no reason why they woukd spend that much to then not back us financially

Archived