Abu Derby County

tinman

3 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

Whats most worrying for me is that weeks and weeks ago fans on an Internet forum could see the warning signs and see this coming, but the people running the club couldn't, surely it was obvious? 

Great post. Totally agree. This deal has been dead in the water since they didn’t pony up with the cash last month. If anyone promises to pay and doesn’t , they obv haven’t got the cash and need to borrow it or realise assets. Just because he’s a sheikh doesn’t mean he’s not a dodgy businessman with more front than cash.... just like the 3 Amigos. Mel needs to raid his piggy bank fast to get us out of this hole!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You really believe those running the Club don't and havent understood the seriousness of the situation?

If they understood it they don't appear to have acted on it and let it get to the point where believing the empty promises from BZG lead to us not having cash in the bank to pay players.

It was obvious early on in December that there was a problem, why wait until early January to try and scramble around for funds to pay players? That should have happened when the first November deadline was missed as a contingency.

As much as BZG should be shouldering the blame for this situation, the club have let themselves be led by the nose to this point, failed to see it coming and failed to mitigate the impact.

If this all falls through, which now seems likely, you've got to think that this should be the sheikh's last involvement in English football. After failing with attempted takeovers of Liverpool, Newcastle and now Derby, each time involving less and less money, he's got very little credibility left. If you wanted investment or a takeover of your club, why would you pick up the phone and take a call from this bloke!?

1 minute ago, Olton Ram said:

If this all falls through, which now seems likely, you've got to think that this should be the sheikh's last involvement in English football. After failing with attempted takeovers of Liverpool, Newcastle and now Derby, each time involving less and less money, he's got very little credibility left. If you wanted investment or a takeover of your club, why would you pick up the phone and take a call from this bloke!?

It’s almost like he’s been playing games. Perhaps he holds a grudge or is trying to emulate his so called cousin at City.

We need to Sheikh him off and Bin him.

14 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

If you wanted investment or a takeover of your club, why would you pick up the phone and take a call from this bloke!?

Ask Mel, why did he? Answer: because he's desperate, bleeding money and needs a solution. Next time it will be Exeter or Bristol Rovers or Rotherham and they'll believe what we did - that we're the right size.

And, for anyone who has run a business, played poker or roulette or even fruit machines sometimes you know it, you know the risk, you know you are seriously under water but the option of just pulling out of the deal is beyond consideration so you just hope that it's going to sort itself out. Very easy to say 'tell them to go stick it' but then what? Mel knows better than most what Plan B looks like and he'll keep hanging on while there is any chance of not having to put it into place. I don't say that as a fan of Mel, I've never been big on the 'he's one of our own' drinking pints with the fans at Brentford. But I do say it as someone who once lost a week's paper round money in a few minutes in the fruit machine at the Kin Wa chinese takeaway in Littleover village.

As for playing games, it's likely much more simple than that - champagne taste and beer money. Raft of potential investors that have hunkered down in the pandemic and all of a sudden Billy Bigballs isn't quite what he thought he was.

19 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

What I don't understand is that to get this far I thought the prospective buyers had to show proof of funds? They passed the fit and proper persons test as well, so I'm sure there is nothing wrong with these guys - the EFL has never dropped the ball before and I refuse to believe they would here.

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Ask Mel, why did he? Answer: because he's desperate, bleeding money and needs a solution. Next time it will be Exeter or Bristol Rovers or Rotherham and they'll believe what we did - that we're the right size.

And, for anyone who has run a business, played poker or roulette or even fruit machines sometimes you know it, you know the risk, you know you are seriously under water but the option of just pulling out of the deal is beyond consideration so you just hope that it's going to sort itself out. Very easy to say 'tell them to go stick it' but then what? Mel knows better than most what Plan B looks like and he'll keep hanging on while there is any chance of not having to put it into place. I don't say that as a fan of Mel, I've never been big on the 'he's one of our own' drinking pints with the fans at Brentford. But I do say it as someone who once lost a week's paper round money in a few minutes in the fruit machine at the Kin Wa chinese takeaway in Littleover village.

As for playing games, it's likely much more simple than that - champagne taste and beer money. Raft of potential investors that have hunkered down in the pandemic and all of a sudden Billy Bigballs isn't quite what he thought he was.

Won't be exeter-their fan owned by a trust. Very stable trust as well that continue to fund the club through the pandemic 

47 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

Whats most worrying for me is that weeks and weeks ago fans on an Internet forum could see the warning signs and see this coming, but the people running the club couldn't, surely it was obvious? 

I think they have rather a lot more information than we do 

Serious question. Does anybody know what the 'fit and proper test' actually involves? For instance, those new owners of Wigan that took them straight into administration last year must have passed the test, so it must be totally useless (like so much of the EFL's processes). 

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It even Says they were not even close to a takeover and it hindered there summer window in which its hindering our January window 

6 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Serious question. Does anybody know what the 'fit and proper test' actually involves? For instance, those new owners of Wigan that took them straight into administration last year must have passed the test, so it must be totally useless (like so much of the EFL's processes). 

Wigan local news did a good summary. Looks like basically anyone can be an owner, as long as they can convince the EFL that they don't lack integrity...

Preventing anyone who holds a criminal record from owning a club or being a director.

Making sure those in charge of clubs have the long-term interests of the business.

Ensuring those who own or direct a club do not lack integrity

How does a person fail the test?

The EFL have outlined a number of ‘Disqualifying conditions’ which would see a person fail the test. These could be:

If there is an association between two clubs. “Either directly or indirectly being involved in, or having the power to determine or influence, the management or administration of another Football League Club or Premier League Club”.

Being subject to a suspension or ban or other form of disqualification. This can be involvement in the administration of another sport by a sports governing body or by a professional body, such as The Law Society.

A failure to provide all relevant information or providing false or misleading information.

Having found to have breached betting rules on matches in England and Wales.

Having an unspent conviction for a dishonest act, corruption, perverting the course of justice, ticket touting, corruption or more.

Been or still on the Register of Sex Offenders

Been declare bankrupt

Been a relevant person at at least two football clubs that have been subject to or suffered unconnected insolvency events.

Been a relevant person at one football club that has suffered two unconnected insolvency events.

Found to be unlawful to act as a director of a UK-registered company

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

It was only a year ago that Mel was talking about putting a roof on Pride Park to maximise revenue streams - at great expense i'm sure.

Roll forwards 1 year and we can't even pay the players on time

That's one hell of a change in financial circumstances - or was it just big talk by Mel ?

"a year ago" we had paying customers.

13 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Apparantly having a match fixing charge hanging over you doesnt matter

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Wigan local news did a good summary. Looks like basically anyone can be an owner, as long as they can convince the EFL that they don't lack integrity...

Preventing anyone who holds a criminal record from owning a club or being a director.

Making sure those in charge of clubs have the long-term interests of the business.

Ensuring those who own or direct a club do not lack integrity

How does a person fail the test?

The EFL have outlined a number of ‘Disqualifying conditions’ which would see a person fail the test. These could be:

If there is an association between two clubs. “Either directly or indirectly being involved in, or having the power to determine or influence, the management or administration of another Football League Club or Premier League Club”.

Being subject to a suspension or ban or other form of disqualification. This can be involvement in the administration of another sport by a sports governing body or by a professional body, such as The Law Society.

A failure to provide all relevant information or providing false or misleading information.

Having found to have breached betting rules on matches in England and Wales.

Having an unspent conviction for a dishonest act, corruption, perverting the course of justice, ticket touting, corruption or more.

Been or still on the Register of Sex Offenders

Been declare bankrupt

Been a relevant person at at least two football clubs that have been subject to or suffered unconnected insolvency events.

Been a relevant person at one football club that has suffered two unconnected insolvency events.

Found to be unlawful to act as a director of a UK-registered company

By the looks of that, being from a foreign country and having no experience of running a football club pretty much gets you approved.

These announcements now just make me think of someone being scammed by one of those phishing emails. You know, like the one with the stranded astronauts who needs you to find his trip home but once home he will pay you back millions due to the space equivalent of air miles he’s accrued whilst up there.  
They've gone ahead with it and now being told - “great news we’ve managed to secure a shuttle flight back” then “there’s difficulty finding a launch time that corresponds with the space station being at the right point of orbit”, “launch time secured, will be by the end of the month”, “launch date put back due to weather conditions as you can imagine this is a complicated process but everything is on track”, “the space station needs to urgent repairs so they need to help and stay there for another month, which is causing an unexpected delay”, etc,etc

The only thing that puzzles me is what’s in it for BZI? What do you get from all of this?

None of the previous statements really hold up in my opinion, the whole idea that funds have been sent but yet to appear in the lawyers account almost a month later. Hmmm. Really?!

Archived