Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

The trouble is, it’s no good if the bloke who comes in is even worse. And I think Sheikh Khaled may well be, if he ever did buy the club.

Yes, in the unlikely event that the takeover did proceed.... utterly shambolic start, and then rapidly downhill from thereon. 

I don’t doubt that Mel has made mistakes over the years but it’s easy to look with hindsight and see the worst in everything.

You’ve only got to look back to Wembley under Lampard. We win that game and everyone would be applauding Mel as a genius and Derby hero. 

There’s a fine line in football between a master stroke and a big mistake. You can just run a steady ship and never leave any decisions open for question or you can take risks going for the big time.

I’m not going to pretend at the time I wasn’t pleased we went for big transfers and spent money. I’m also not going to slate Mel for spending money which turned out poor decisions.

You could argue the players coming through the academy right now are all down to Mel.

I have no question if I had Mel’s money then I’d have probably done most of what he did as I’d want to try and push Derby to the next level, so for that reason I’ll never have any issues with Mel, he 100% has Derby’s interests in mind.

Will whoever we get next want the best for us, time will tell. 

Could the sticking point be the stadium?

if I was buying the club I would want the ground as well. Maybe a deal for the club is agreed but is dependent on also doing a deal for the ground too. The elevated valuation might now be a sticking point?

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

if I was buying the club I would want the ground as well. Maybe a deal for the club is agreed but is dependent on also doing a deal for the ground too. The elevated valuation might now be a sticking point?

That could be a valid point. An easy counter might be “pay an extra £60m/£80m (or whatever it is) and the stadium is yours as well” but maybe, for commercial reasons or to protect the club in some way, Mel is resisting. 

44 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Mel only had to pay that valuation because it was a related party transaction.

He's free to sell the stadium for whatever amount he likes to any external party if he wishes, as I understand it.

Obviously he'd have to settle any loans etc secured on the ground.

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

Mel only had to pay that valuation because it was a related party transaction.

He's free to sell the stadium for whatever amount he likes to any external party if he wishes, as I understand it.

Obviously he'd have to settle any loans etc secured on the ground.

Isn’t that the point though? Mel, understandably, will want to get back what he paid for it (or reasonably close if he’s prepared to take a bit of a hit). But IF that price was elevated, would the new owner want to pay the higher price? Maybe the Sheikh used the same Valuers as the EFL?

Or, as I’ve suggested, perhaps Mel is resisting including the stadium for commercial reasons or to protect the club. However, surely whether the stadium was in or out of the deal would have been negotiated and agreed fairly early on I would have thought.

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If it doesn't happen today then the journalists aren't going to continue to roll out the ******** they keep getting told I'm sure.....they will start going for the jugular I suspect.

Yep They’ve been lied to multiple times 

I think the last few posts are a case of looking for something that simply isn't there (like when MM checks his bank account money transferred from Abu Dhabi) to try to justify the delays.

Even if there were discussions about the stadium, there's no reason they can't complete the main transaction & look at the stadum at a later date. Once they already have a controlling share in the club and have shown themselves to be trustworthy, competent owners they'd be in a much better position to negotiate buying further assets than to trying to cause further hold-ups, putting the club's Championship status further in doubt and only solidifying the negative opinion many people have already built up about them.

The Sheikh must be well aware by now that he is purchasing a League One club and will be adjusting the offer price downwards accordingly.

Too late! I suppose he could pull out of the sale and renegotiate but that's definitely something which would get reported.

We've repeatedly been told that all of the closing conditions of the sale have been met, all contracts agreed, everything is sorted and it's just a case of waiting for the money to arrive. The club have publicly stated that they expected the money to have dropped and the takeover to have been complete on December 24th.

We've publicly been told that when the money comes in the players will receive their full salaries - that still hasn't happened & there's still talk of a new loan from MSD Holdings, so it's safe to assume that we haven't received a penny from them as yet. We're 'assured' it has been sent though. If the deal was dependent on a further deal around the stadium they simply wouldn't have sent the payment they already claim to have done.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Why would they be fed up? It’s a news story that keeps on running as far as they are concerned.

Fed up of being lied too, they’ve been told numerous things which haven’t happened the reputation is taking a hit 

13 minutes ago, Topram said:

Fed up of being lied too, they’ve been told numerous things which haven’t happened the reputation is taking a hit 

Not necessarily lied to if the club said “we expect......”

Regarding their reputations, well that depends on how they report. If they said “the club have told us they expect....” then there is minimal to no reputational damage. If however, they wrongly claimed to be ITK then that’s their own fault.

As I say, it’s the story that just keeps on giving so, I imagine they’re not that fed up.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

That could be a valid point. An easy counter might be “pay an extra £60m/£80m (or whatever it is) and the stadium is yours as well” but maybe, for commercial reasons or to protect the club in some way, Mel is resisting. 

Perhaps hes leaving it to supporters in his Will ??

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not necessarily lied to if the club said “we expect......”

Regarding their reputations, well that depends on how they report. If they said “the club have told us they expect....” then there is minimal to no reputational damage. If however, they wrongly claimed to be ITK then that’s their own fault.

As I say, it’s the story that just keeps on giving so, I imagine they’re not that fed up.

Yeah very true, think it’s frustration of fans me included that they are being told stuff like it’s happening this week etc for it not to happen, this is a massive 2 weeks for Derby no hiding from the fact we need 2/3 new faces in that squad if we are going to survive, yes we have good individual players and an half decent first 11 but we miss a striker big time and we miss options from the bench.

Archived