Abu Derby County

tinman

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

strange he took the job on that basis

when did he say that? Didn't hear it on the RamsTV post match but maybe was too depressed to listen properly 

Steve Nicholson reported it with his interview 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

You know I'm not sure supporting a football club is for you. This is what it is like for most clubs at some stage in the cycle of ups and downs. We are currently on a down....it's painful I know, I've seen enough of them. However, blaming the current owner for everything is a bit harsh IMO. Less than two years ago we were at Wembley, now we are in a relegation battle. at some stage in the future it will be better again.

It’s not just a low though, is it? A “low” for a football club with our history would be a few seasons languishing in Championship lower mid table, losing more than we’re winning, and generally having a pretty depressing time. In other words, the Nigel Clough years, which are amongst my first memories of being a Derby fan. This season is looking like it might be our worst in going on 40 years. That’s more than just a regular “low”, that’s an absolute disaster which might leave us in a mess for years to come. I think I’m more than justified in criticising the running of the club which has taken us into this mess.

That Wembley season under Lampard just papered over the cracks with the loan players we had, the permanent squad was already getting pretty weak at that point. We’ve been on the decline pretty much year on year under Mel, in terms of squad quality certainly.

1 hour ago, DanS1992 said:

Exellent post @Millenniumram.

If there was a school that taught how to run a club, Morris would be the the way not to run one. Countless publicity stunts, financial mismanagement and so much more. The man is a disaster, and he is destroying our club. I for one can't wait for him to feck off, but with the way things are going, it looks like he is going to be round a while longer. For the sake of the club, we need him out the door ASAP.

The trouble is, it’s no good if the bloke who comes in is even worse. And I think Sheikh Khaled may well be, if he ever did buy the club.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

There’s still only one man to blame for all this mess. And his name is Mel Morris. Said a while ago his disasterclass of how to run a football club would eventually see us down rather than up, and sadly, I’m being proved right.

All the poor recruitment decisions and managerial appointments were always going to come back to bite us. That was obvious to most, apart from the Mel can do no wrong lot. But even I didn’t think he’d get us in this much of a mess. I mean last season was bad enough, with all the negative headlines around various FA/EFL investigations, literal car crashes, failed investment, wages not being paid for the first time etc etc. Think we went through enough pain with the crap team we had last season.

I thought we might finally start to fix things and put together a capable side last summer. But no, we made things even worse somehow. We let some of our better players leave for free, let two of our young stars leave without reinvesting the money, and worst of all, we STILL didn’t fix our incompetent attack. In fact, we made it worse. Absolutely criminal to leave us so short of attacking options going into a season. I can only describe it as complacency by the board, who clearly thought we had enough to stay up without further signings. They couldn’t have been more wrong and stupid. And yet the complacency continued, giving Cocu far too much time that we didn’t have, and then thinking it was safe to put a rookie managerial team in charge. Again, utterly stupid. Even more stupid is they’ve put him in charge on a 2 year contract!!! It’s like no one understands the danger that we’re in. Maybe they’ll understand when our relegation is confirmed in 20 games time, which is exactly what’s going to happen.

Mel has taken on a Derby team on the brink of promotion, systematically destroyed them, and then left us on the brink of League One. Worse than that, he’s now attempting to sell us to a load of clowns from the UAE, who evidently don’t have the money to buy a football club, and he didn’t even have a backup plan if it didn’t go through! Now we’re left with a load of debt and players who haven’t been paid, putting us in real danger of administration. 

If anyone else was our owner, at any other time, there’d be protests about this mess. It really is that bad. We’re watching our football club die in front of our eyes, and there’s nothing we can do about it.

This!! Mel might have his heart in the right place but he's really made an absolute mess of it both with this takeover and the stupidity of signing up a rookie manager whose only experience was in the backroom that began this nightmare of a season. I think the ludicrous appointment of Rooney is the straw that has broken my back with regards to Mel Morris and his ever increasing ridiculous ownership.

He's ever increasingly been favouring publicity stunts and press over sound planning that ensures the safeguarding of our 2nd division status and trying to get us into the Premiership. I actually think the club are lucky we aren't allowed at games as the atmosphere would be beyond toxic.

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not just a low though, is it? A “low” for a football club with our history would be a few seasons languishing in Championship lower mid table, losing more than we’re winning, and generally having a pretty depressing time. In other words, the Nigel Clough years, which are amongst my first memories of being a Derby fan. This season is looking like it might be our worst in going on 40 years. That’s more than just a regular “low”, that’s an absolute disaster which might leave us in a mess for years to come. I think I’m more than justified in criticising the running of the club which has taken us into this mess.

That Wembley season under Lampard just papered over the cracks with the loan players we had, the permanent squad was already getting pretty weak at that point. We’ve been on the decline pretty much year on year under Mel, in terms of squad quality certainly.

What you describe as a low is pretty much where this club has spent most off it's history. We have spent years in the division below this as well whilst flirting with becoming a established part of the elite of English football. 

In every instance we have lurched from one controversy to another and taken on the rulers  of the game at every turn. I have been to the summit with this club, league champions, European competition, relegation and promotion this is just another part of that cycle. 

Look at it like the hands on a clock currently they are nearing six thirty before they begin rising towards twelve o clock and more enjoyable days. 

5 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Look at it like the hands on a clock currently they are nearing six thirty before they begin rising towards twelve o clock and more enjoyable days. 

It was quarter to 12 only 2 years ago. It's a disgrace how we've gone so far backwards so quickly.

11 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Think we're nearer two thirty to be honest and a trip to dentist for major root canal work. 

I think appointing Rooney was sensible (having initially been unconvinced).  The factors of unpaid players, reduced training because of covid, and general uncertainty, contributed to a bad day.  Rooney has done ok since he took over. 

That said, I very much doubt the takeover will happen and nor will we buy anyone of note, if at all. And I expect us to sell a player or two to pay the wages.  So Rooney is going to have a tough job keeping us up and morale will be difficult to maintain. 

But he's taken over when we're not doing well. He's not the reason we're not doing well.

I don't agree we're at rock bottom. We could fall further yet 

Where do you start to turn things around after a performance like that? 

Genuine question.

I would have no idea.

What an utterly shocking display. As bad as I can remember in my time supporting this club and I'm in my forties.

What a mess.

Good luck Wayne.

This season is the worst i can ever remember in the 26 years I've had my season ticket from Derby as I've been going since I was 3 with my dad. I've lived in Stoke my whole life and all my friends are stoke fans so they all tell me what it was like for them last year and said Michael O'Neil took no garbage and basically gave them a kick up the backside but that a few January signings helped them which we need and need now and also O'Neil hard work and tactics that hopefully we get from Rooney as he distills his plan.

The 11 point season was bad enough but at least I could go to games and it was the prem and to see them players. I feel so detached from this lot atm that when they scored I half expected it and there is no emotion anymore. I watch the games and just think I'd rather sit watching a film with a brew or go to work and that's not the way you should feel about the club you grow up watching  when we lost in that 11 point season I still got angry every game we lost and was passionate. The way I feel atm I'm more under the illusion that I'm not arsed to go back to pride Park next week if we were allowed and would instead just jump in on some overtime. I don't know if anyone else feels like this and I may just be on my own but just have to be honest with the way I feel after having my first season ticket as a 3 year old 26 years ago I never thought this would be how I felt now. 

Mel Morris has made this club worse and worse every single season. The Lamport team was punching. It was like shrek going out with Jennifer Lopez in that the loans were just that good the 3 of them carried this team to the final and a few others helped in an essence of they laced there boots. 

Last season was boring we couldn't win away from home and did our best work at pride Park. At half time I'd go down for a pie and beer and think god sake I've got to walk back up 20 steps to watch that and it was an obvious down hill from lampards season. 

This season is just bad in every essence. I see this team going down and Mel Morris will be the worst owner in our history who has actually put the most money into this club but has equally made the worse decisions of any owner in my life time apart from the 3 amigos. Granted others will know more than me as the first owner I remember was Lionel pickering. Sad way for an owner and fan to be remembered as one of the worst in history and the fact we haven't been in the 3rd tier of English football in my lifetime and probably years before that. 

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

This season is the worst i can ever remember in the 26 years I've had my season ticket from Derby as I've been going since I was 3 with my dad. I've lived in Stoke my whole life and all my friends are stoke fans so they all tell me what it was like for them last year and said Michael O'Neil took no garbage and basically gave them a kick up the backside but that a few January signings helped them which we need and need now and also O'Neil hard work and tactics that hopefully we get from Rooney as he distills his plan.

The 11 point season was bad enough but at least I could go to games and it was the prem and to see them players. I feel so detached from this lot atm that when they scored I half expected it and there is no emotion anymore. I watch the games and just think I'd rather sit watching a film with a brew or go to work and that's not the way you should feel about the club you grow up watching  when we lost in that 11 point season I still got angry every game we lost and was passionate. The way I feel atm I'm more under the illusion that I'm not arsed to go back to pride Park next week if we were allowed and would instead just jump in on some overtime. I don't know if anyone else feels like this and I may just be on my own but just have to be honest with the way I feel after having my first season ticket as a 3 year old 26 years ago I never thought this would be how I felt now. 

Mel Morris has made this club worse and worse every single season. The Lamport team was punching. It was like shrek going out with Jennifer Lopez in that the loans were just that good the 3 of them carried this team to the final and a few others helped in an essence of they laced there boots. 

Last season was boring we couldn't win away from home and did our best work at pride Park. At half time I'd go down for a pie and beer and think god sake I've got to walk back up 20 steps to watch that and it was an obvious down hill from lampards season. 

This season is just bad in every essence. I see this team going down and Mel Morris will be the worst owner in our history who has actually put the most money into this club but has equally made the worse decisions of any owner in my life time apart from the 3 amigos. Granted others will know more than me as the first owner I remember was Lionel pickering. Sad way for an owner and fan to be remembered as one of the worst in history and the fact we haven't been in the 3rd tier of English football in my lifetime and probably years before that. 

Predictive text spelling mistake meant to put lampard not Lamport 

46 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

What you describe as a low is pretty much where this club has spent most off it's history. We have spent years in the division below this as well whilst flirting with becoming a established part of the elite of English football. 

In every instance we have lurched from one controversy to another and taken on the rulers  of the game at every turn. I have been to the summit with this club, league champions, European competition, relegation and promotion this is just another part of that cycle. 

Really? We’ve spent more than half of our history in the top flight, from what I can tell. And we’ve only spent 4 years in the third tier. I may not have seen much of that history, but I’d suggest that makes our “average” position either battling Prem relegation, or fighting for Championship promotion. So being below that, i.e. bottom half Championship, would be a “low”. And being in the third tier, like we will be next season, would be amongst the clubs darkest days.

I’ve not seen any of our better days really, but even by the standards of what I’ve seen, this season really is a new low. I’m struggling to see the optimism of better days ahead either really, considering the issues off the pitch.

Archived