Abu Derby County

tinman

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

It does again highlight the absolute trust that Mel et al. have in this deal though doesn't it?

The Cocu sacking was supposedly decided in conjunction with the Sheikh. Now it seems that the decision to finally appoint Rooney has happened in a similar way.

Of all the things that Mel could be reasonably criticised for, I don't think anyone could truthfully say he's stupid. There has to be a reason why this faith is being shown to someone who has apparently not coughed up a penny yet.

Every /anyone can suffer from dillusiament?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well they haven't paid the lawyers.

It’s just our luck. Ashley was surfing some tasty website and had an reminder from his bank that 60m had come in on 24 December. Happily his meeting on the website has just ended.  So he’s in reflective mood and muses ruefully on his belligerent corporate career, the trauma caused by all the redundancies, sackings and the rest, not to mention the severe mental health issues he has inflicted on a generation of Newcastle fans.  He contemplates - uncharacteristically - his spiritual well being and his thus far abject progress on the road to enlightenment. Not to mention the abject performance of his team against the Blades.  He logs on to just giving and transfers the 60m to Oxfam. He transfers the Toon to the Sheikh. And he heads for a commune in West Wales.

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Anyone just think the rooney appointment is to ease the fans anger over no takeover yet , call me a cynical old victor meldrew but that's how I see it . 

Well Vick, it's a common government tactic to hide bad news with a headline making story. However, in this case, that would require a degree of manipulation of Rooney himself that I do not think he would allow.

In his interview, he talked about asking for certain assurances and so on. They've given him a 2½ year contract. That's a big commitment from both sides if it's merely intended to distract the fans for a couple of days.

29 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

n his interview, he talked about asking for certain assurances and so on. They've given him a 2½ year contract. That's a big commitment from both sides if it's merely intended to distract the fans for a couple of days.

Don’t think the contract was entered into to distract us. It was already lined up, agreed.  But they were planning to announce it with the takeover. Instead they announced it today to cheer us up.
In my case it worked   Feeling good about Rotherham ? 

The assurances that Rooney probably asked for would be the same commitments that the Sheikh has given Mel and SP. 

Problem is everyone is buying into them.

Ive got way too many open questions sadly:

1) Are they sending two pots of money? One for Mel to buy the club from him and one for operating cash flow.

2) Whose fronting the cash? (I don’t think there is any cash)

3) Why hasn’t Mel asked for proof of funds?

4) If it does go through whose the decision maker that SP reports to?

5) What are they buying us for? It’s not to make money!!

6) Who owns the ground?

7) Will the MSD loan be paid off?

8) When will we update our accounts?

Just everything is too unsettling for me.

1 minute ago, enachops said:

The recent Athletic article raises some interesting points. One being that a former shareholder has offered support and the offer of getting a group of investors to take over. League of Gentlemen mk2 potentially? Morris politely declined as he’s confident the Sheikh deal will happen.

Sam Rush ?

The Rooney news is a positive announcement. He wouldn’t have signed if he didn’t have assurances he was going to be able to build a team. Clearly Mel and the new owners want him so if the takeover doesn’t happen he still has the backing of whoever his bosses are.

If the takeover doesn’t happen. Mel carries on looking for another buyer, Rooney carries on with improving our performances pulling us away from relegation and building a team to challenge, over a couple of seasons in a sustainable manner which will mean selling to buy along the way. The pandemic has proved all football clubs need to be more sustainable, P & S still needs to be complied with takeover or no takeover.

Either way this is a long term build as look where the short term got us. 1 season of big spending in 15/16 has royally screwed us.

2 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Sam Rush ?

Haha, who knows! Article mentions Philippe Huber who brokered deals at Man City and Blackburn working with BZG. It’s a detailed article. 

The former shareholder apparently offered financial assistance to stave off administration which Morris declined, before potentially getting a group of investors together if the worse came to the worse.