Abu Derby County

tinman

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't 'owe' £80m on the stadium, we didn't pay to lease it, we paid a mortgage.

We had a squad with a high value, even though we didn't sell. 

Mel paid for something that he hoped to make money out of when we were promoted - that went wrong and now he wants out.

Are you referring to the 2014 squad? And by "high" mean relative to their purchase price? 

Just to be clear - I agree if so...........my memory of history is

- we got extremely lucky or whatever with Mac 1 which propelled the club forwards a few years in one season

- this took a low value squad and multiplied it several-fold

- rather than take that value, we "re-mortgaged" it by ramping up salaries

- and the subsequent investment into new players has destroyed value overall when we weren't promoted

but - even thought mel wants out now, he's not on his uppers and he isn't threatening to foreclose on the club, so his ownership has not been a complete disaster

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

but - even thought mel wants out now, he's not on his uppers and he isn't threatening to foreclose on the club, so his ownership has not been a complete disaster

But this is the worry that limited communications bring...

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why did the club need that £80m I wonder? The previous mortgage could have been re-mortgaged. Who owns our stadium now then?

Because like all championship clubs it loses money which isn’t allowed under FFP / P + S 

Mel owns the stadium having given the club 80 million quid for it 

re mortgaging ? Oh .. you mean borrowing money you can’t afford to finance ? ... and would you have commercially been able to raise 80 million on a re mortgage ? .. LTV .. profitable income and all that ? Dream on. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

re mortgaging ? Oh .. you mean borrowing money you can’t afford to finance ? ... and would you have commercially been able to raise 80 million on a re mortgage ? .. LTV .. profitable income and all that ? Dream on. 

Who spent all that money in the first place? Who got us deeper into debt than when he took over and no better off?

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

For goodness sake ! These players are going to be paid. MM will have said to them: “ listen boys, you’ll get your dosh of course and I know the wolf isn’t exactly at the door. But the deal w Derventio is that they cover your salary for last month. So please give me a couple more days to see if we can close the t/o and if we can you get your cash from them. If not, I’ll need to liquidate some assets. But please don’t worry, I’ll see you right  

Don’t you think  ?

While possible, it's also possible that he's refusing to spend more money on Derby and can't borrow any more in this environment. And so there is a real risk they don't get paid. 

The journalists say the players are saying they haven't been communicated with properly.  They were told they'd get paid this week. And they haven't and haven't heard from club.  So it doesn't sound like Mel has had the conversation you are suggesting if you believe Conway and Percy

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who spent all that money in the first place? Who got us deeper into debt than when he took over and no better off?

Maybe instead of pointing a “J’accuse” finger at Mel we should look at the managers, agents, scouts, commercial directors, advisors who clung on Mels coat tails and abused his trust for their own gain. ? 

52 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

And if you were paid an enormous amount? And had an enormous amount in the bank? And you knew the owner could afford to pay you, and would do so very soon ? And if the owner as well as your childhood hero and his ex-England manager boss explained to you that there were good reasons for the employer not paying you this month because of a monumental deal affecting the employer? And if they asked you please just to give the club a few more days at this time  ?

I think you’d say “ok that’s fine.”  And focus on the next game.  

But you've just made that scenario about Mel, Rooney and Mac having those conversations up.  It's just in your imagination.  You may be right but it contradicts what two respected journalists have said this evening. Whose sources presumably include players

30 minutes ago, jono said:

That’s right .. start whipping up a mob .. grow up child ! Good God attitudes like that are sick anyway; but in the current circumstances and with examples as to why you shouldn’t, staring at you in the face ...Epsilon semi moron 

yeah ., sometimes I get narky ... this time .. no apologies. Idiot ! 

You okay hun??

8 minutes ago, Gritty said:

While possible, it's also possible that he's refusing to spend more money on Derby and can't borrow any more in this environment. And so there is a real risk they don't get paid. 

The journalists say the players are saying they haven't been communicated with properly.  They were told they'd get paid this week. And they haven't and haven't heard from club.  So it doesn't sound like Mel has had the conversation you are suggesting if you believe Conway and Percy

They will be paid. MM can afford it and if they’re not paid he shoots himself in the foot.   both feet

Fair enough, accept your point that comms may have been poor I have no info on that

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

They will be paid. MM can afford it and if they’re not paid he shoots himself in the foot.   both feet

Fair enough, accept your point that comms may have been poor I have no info on that

It's in the Athletic article.  Appreciate you may not have a subscription to that though. 

That said, I think there's likely to be a lot to discuss about Derby in the coming weeks so now might be a time to subscribe! It's well worth it imo

2 minutes ago, Gritty said:

But you've just made that scenario about Mel, Rooney and Mac having those conversations up.  It's just in your imagination.  You may be right but it contradicts what two respected journalists have said this evening. Whose sources presumably include players

Ok fair enough Gritty I don’t know what has been said. But really, MM HAS to fund these salaries ultimately. I can’t believe the comms with unpaid players are not being managed. You may have a point that they are not being managed well enough but if MM is in the middle of a nightmare last minute negotiation with BZG it’s not completely surprising. 

We won't know 100% of the picture with Mel for a long time, things will come out about what it's been like behind the scenes in the Mel Morris era over the next few years and we'll be able to have a better informed debate on what he really did for this club.

But what we do know about Mel is that he's pumped his own money into the club when others wouldn't, a fair bloody chunk of his cash spent extremely ambitiously. Spent so ambitiously that it has us in a bit of a hole. We've been consistently in the playoffs under Mel and even been a game away, you'll have your own opinion of if we've been unlucky or got what we deserved.

Mel's biggest legacy is already obvious. Plenty of owners throw money at a promotion push but not all of them invest so much in the facilities and particularly the academy. Moor Farm has fast become the home to a top rate academy that is steadily providing the first team with young players that we either sell for a huge profit or will eventually play a key part in a promotion.

We may be in a crap situation right now but Mel's still put some foundations to build on long term. We'll see what's really gone on with this takeover some day but for now I'm pretty glad Mel Morris took over the club.

37 minutes ago, jono said:

Maybe instead of pointing a “J’accuse” finger at Mel we should look at the managers, agents, scouts, commercial directors, advisors who clung on Mels coat tails and abused his trust for their own gain. ? 

Yes but in any business you're going to get these limpets and it shows real naivety if you continue to allow your trust to be exploited. Am sure Morris isn't singular in discovering this. 

43 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We??  

Mel owns the club and he owns the company that owns the stadium. I own eff all other than a right to season ticket refunds. How about you? 

Sorry.

Shouldn't have used we, when discussing on a Derby county dedicated forum the entirely separate legal entity that is the club.

From now on, I will always use the prefix Mel Morris's Derby County, that I happen to be a supporter of.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think Mel Morris is acutely aware now that being the custodian of a football club involves more, much more that throwing money at it. Stewardship, Leadership, all are attrubutes that seem to be sadly lacking during his tenure. 

I think he's backed the wrong horse right until the end.

Archived