Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m sorry for those of us who want to have a go at Mel. Few of us have any idea what happens in high finance, business takeovers, bank guarantees, liquid assets or whatever. .... What I do know is that in a largely calm and ethical way (apart from the dressing room day venting ) Mel has purchased the club from some investors who weren’t interested in investing and put something like a million pounds a month in to the club out of his own pocket for the last what . 4 years . And that’s before we even get to cap ex I.e buying stadia. Improving the academy and whatever. .. Mel has been or is .. an exceptional owner. 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He took over us in debt, not sure how he will leave us

Well we no longer own our stadium, was it with a mortgage before. I think financially we're much worse off and of course squad-wise fairly poor in comparison.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

What I do know is that in a largely calm and ethical way (apart from the dressing room day venting ) Mel has purchased the club from some investors who weren’t interested in investing and put something like a million pounds a month in to the club out of his own pocket for the last what . 4 years . And that’s before we even get to cap ex I.e buying stadia. Improving the academy and whatever. .. Mel has been or is .. an exceptional owner. 

He's spent money as if it were his own...but now he wants it back and doesn't seem to care who he sells to! Shame he didn't spend well.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well we no longer own our stadium, was it with a mortgage before. I think financially we're much worse off and of course squad-wise fairly poor in comparison.

From memory the stadium had a mortgage of £15m that was due to be paid off in 2 or 3 years when he took over and we had another £3m loan.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Wasn’t a statement made when their pay was delayed last week? Do we know for certain they’ve still not been paid?

If they still haven’t been paid then a statement should be made as they said the funds had been remitted but I’m not convinced, yet, that it is still overdue.

Two highly respected journalists have said this evening that they've been told some of the players haven't been paid

The club is responsible for paying them.  There are no excuses for not paying them, takeover or no takeover. 

The same journalists said the club isn't communicating with the players. 

I know you like to give Mel the benefit of the doubt.  And that is, frankly, much to your credit to think so positively of others. But C'mon. This looks very, very bad indeed

12 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m sorry for those of us who want to have a go at Mel. Few of us have any idea what happens in high finance, business takeovers, bank guarantees, liquid assets or whatever. .... What I do know is that in a largely calm and ethical way (apart from the dressing room day venting ) Mel has purchased the club from some investors who weren’t interested in investing and put something like a million pounds a month in to the club out of his own pocket for the last what . 4 years . And that’s before we even get to cap ex I.e buying stadia. Improving the academy and whatever. .. Mel has been or is .. an exceptional owner. 

He had great intentions.  He spent a fortune.  He didn't sadly always spend wisely or make good decisions.  And we are in a far worse position overall than when he took over. 

The academy investment is fantastic, however.  And that is greatly to his credit.  I hope the structures he put in place endure as we may need to sell some of the players like Knight, Sibley etc

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's spent money as if it were his own...but now he wants it back and doesn't seem to care who he sells to! Shame he didn't spend well.

I don’t think he will get anything approaching a “return” on his investment The Championship and owning clubs in it is a certain loss bar a lucky set of circumstances. Sure Mel wants to cut his losses with minimum personal damage - who wouldn’t ? But you cannot fault Mel for doing his best and committing personal wealth to our cause .. whatever his motive or relative success he spent his dosh on the club and won’t get it back. 

I'd imagine the club will now be in a transfer embargo as a result of this. I think it's also reasonable to assume the club is close to been insolvent. There's talk on here that suppliers are not getting paid and refunds are due to all and sundry for match tickets,season ticket cancellations and discounted refunds.

Administration appears to be Melvyn's end game.

Well done sir !

45 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

No more excuses for Mel, he has messed up mire than once, needs to pay the players ASAP, and also come out and tell us what is happening with the take over, oh Mel, your time at Derby is ending in a very poor way. You have taken a top championship team to the bottom 3, and u have not even paid the staff, hang your head in shame. How you have ducked us up in the time you have been here, will always be remembered. 

I'll reply by saying how much I enjoy your post's. I don't always agree, but it's pretty clear to me you're a passionate Derby fan who wants the best for the club first and foremost, one of the proper loyals.

In many ways, I think Mel's cut from the same cloth. He's quite obviously a loyal fan, and had poured cash, time and no little sweat into the club over two periods of ownership or partial ownership.

If this is the last knockings of his ownership, then it's a sad way to bow out. 

He took over a top championship club, but one with a lower mid table budget. He straight away pumped cash in, realising that a lower mid table budget wouldn't be enough to see that squad stay together and compete again, and we went again. All was well until February, then injuries killed us. 

He'd got so close, it always has seemed just a little extra push, either in players or the manager would surely see us over the line, and that's the way it's been ever since. Each season has offered just enough to entice one last roll of the dice, but now we've rolled snake eyes too many times.

We never got the rising tide of improvement that comes from a sensible long term plan, but a series of one last shots that have set us back, leading to this moment.

In a few years time, I don't think we'll look back in shame on this period, just with regret.

We had it all, talented squad, local minted fan ownership, no debt and everything in place to move onwards and upwards, yet we somehow lost it all.

On the whole I’m a Mel fan but something here isn’t adding up. If the takeover does happen most of the fans will have bad blood towards the new owners. Let’s hope they can put their money where their camels are. 

That said personally I think the deal is off and that this consortium are not straight shooters. Feel for Mel in this case because he’s splashed the cash and now can’t seem to get rid of us for love nor money. Maybe the escalated financials of football have finally caught up with the real world. 

44 minutes ago, jono said:

Mel has been or is .. an exceptional owner. 

I disagree with that closing remark as even the most die hard of Morris' supporters can't sit there and admit that he hasn't made mistakes and continues to do so it seems....in terms of him putting his own money into the club I can't disagree with you on that point.

48 minutes ago, jono said:

Shame he’s been a poo chairman 

Mel has very nearly sold us to owners who couldn't even raise enough money to pay the first months wages, let alone actually buy the club.  He didnt do this once, he has done this twice, within a year. The same year the club was hit with EFL charges, charges we all know were dodgy, but charges because Mel had massively rubbed the EFL up the wrong way by trying to go toe to toe with them.

We sit here 3rd bottom of division 2, no permanent manager, currently no owner willing to spend, the club doesnt own it's own stadium, players havent been paid, refunds arent being paid to fans, nor emails replied to, players not happy due to lack of communication from the club and the fans have absolutely no idea which direction the club is heading.

Someone seriously needs to take the keys from Mel before he does serious damage.

The remit changed from manager to manager, I know why gr walked away, we then became a circus to the media, attention fell on Dcfc everywhere, Frank Lampards Dcfc was the last throw of the dice with substantial funds made available which nearly paid off, how much spent on players and loans. 

We don't go up that's it no more money, Cocu to play the academy lads. 

We bring in Rooney to keep Dcfc in the spotlight, which it did and has but as come at a cost. Before covid everything going nicely and to plan, Wayne Rooneys Derby this n that, everyone knows him globally investors keen, then the revunes stops, no fans etc MM cannot afford to keep this going, wealth going fast as did Lionel Pickering and we end up in a situation were it looks like investors at the 11th hour have put our beloved club at sever risk. 

We cannot judge both parties until someone speaks. 

45 minutes ago, Gritty said:

The club is responsible for paying them.  There are no excuses for not paying them, takeover or no takeover. 

For goodness sake ! These players are going to be paid. MM will have said to them: “ listen boys, you’ll get your dosh of course and I know the wolf isn’t exactly at the door. But the deal w Derventio is that they cover your salary for last month. So please give me a couple more days to see if we can close the t/o and if we can you get your cash from them. If not, I’ll need to liquidate some assets. But please don’t worry, I’ll see you right  

Don’t you think  ?

Archived