Abu Derby County

tinman

33 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Aye coz potential buyers are queuing up to buy clubs in the situation we are in, all be sorted soon.

I want to agree but Covid and it’s consequences are now a known quantity and have been for a while .. so if they wanted to bail out there have been plenty of opportunities. Lots of back ground stuff relating to price, league position, EFL appeal will be in the mix but isn’t that what dealers and lawyers are supposed to iron out before the final countdow. Humph ! If it isn’t done and dusted in the next few working days then I doubt the bona fides of the buyers simple as that

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I want to agree but Covid and it’s consequences are now a known quantity and have been for a while .. so if they wanted to bail out there have been plenty of opportunities. Lots of back ground stuff relating to price, league position, EFL appeal will be in the mix but isn’t that what dealers and lawyers are supposed to iron out before the final countdow. Humph ! If it isn’t done and dusted in the next few working days then I doubt the bona fides of the buyers simple as that

I don’t dispute any of what you posted. My original remark alluded to my opinion we are not a very attractive proposition at this moment in time and that if there were any potential buyers for a championship club we wouldn’t be that high on the list due to one thing and another.

Just my thoughts, I’m cool with everyone who disagrees though. ?

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I don’t dispute any of what you posted. My original remark alluded to my opinion we are not a very attractive proposition at this moment in time and that if there were any potential buyers for a championship club we wouldn’t be that high on the list due to one thing and another.

Just my thoughts, I’m cool with everyone who disagrees though. ?

I think we are on the same page. I can’t see any championship club being seen as an inspiring purchase for anyone other than a full on fantasy fan or someone with a wedge of cash looking for a home -  accompanied by a massive ego ??

Hate to say, why would you buy a football club at the moment. No income from anything, our asset which Mel would have sold the deal on is not playing and is temporarily in charge, bottom 3 of the championship, efl charge still hanging over, I think I would wait until the season is over. 

Charges gone,income streams starting back up, supporters coming back next season, team still in championship then I would buy and I have a strong feeling this may just be the case. 

I think it will happen when all the uncertainty is gone but until then MM remains at the wheel. 

25 minutes ago, falconram said:

Hate to say, why would you buy a football club at the moment. No income from anything, our asset which Mel would have sold the deal on is not playing and is temporarily in charge, bottom 3 of the championship, efl charge still hanging over, I think I would wait until the season is over. 

Charges gone,income streams starting back up, supporters coming back next season, team still in championship then I would buy and I have a strong feeling this may just be the case. 

I think it will happen when all the uncertainty is gone but until then MM remains at the wheel. 

You mean when the asking price could be a lot higher? Lol

57 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes I agree. Must be getting close to 'the dog ate my homework' and 'my pet hamster died' type of excuses already. 

From a business perspective the price agreed initially must be way in excess of the tumbling value atm .

Even as a diehard fan I would concede it will be a massive gamble to buy at the present moment but the gamble could prove a huge winner ... 

Rooney steers us clear of relegation and the covid vaccine gets bums on seats would make the 2021/22 season very interesting potentially re-established and exceeding the return on investment. Get to the premiership and its financial windfall and its game on...

A high level risk strategy still  being thrashed out ???

On 06/01/2021 at 13:19, AutoWindscreens said:

287 pages of nothing about nothing.

Here are some tips for ways to make lockdown more interesting. 

It's from Glamour magazine, so I'm pretty sure there'll be some stuff in there to suit Rams fans... 

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/things-to-do-at-home

This is great. Build a wine cellar, make banana bead, have a bath, educate yourself on race...

There's some absolute corkers in here.

Ta! ?

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

From a business perspective the price agreed initially must be way in excess of the tumbling value atm .

Even as a diehard fan I would concede it will be a massive gamble to buy at the present moment but the gamble could prove a huge winner ... 

I don’t think buying Derby is a massive gamble at all. COVID awful though it is is a short term issue for these businesses and most of the clubs will survive. Certainly Derby will. But the falloff in cashflows must have been dramatic especially for those below the PL. 

The problem is: any purchaser who has agreed ‘in principle’ to buy a club will usually be obliged to buy only if there is no ‘material adverse change’. And just now it must be very tempting for a buyer to say: “there’s been a material adverse change, you need to drop the price”. May be what happened at Wigan. 

There is another problem for sellers: the brokers sometimes get a bung from the buyers if they can reduce the price 

Edited by kevinhectoring

On 06/01/2021 at 22:32, kevinhectoring said:

If BZG wanted to play hardball, they would see a big opportunity for deal creep. Hope that's not it.

Why? That’s exactly what I’d want. A hard hitting, shrewd negotiator who won’t overpay and is prepared to walk away. 
The only person who loses out is the current incumbent, and I really couldn’t care less about that - he had his chance, and failed. 
The less money that any new investor has to pay to buy out the old, the more is potentially available to run the club with. 

37 minutes ago, ck- said:

On 06/01/2021 at 22:32, kevinhectoring said:

If BZG wanted to play hardball, they would see a big opportunity for deal creep. Hope that's not it.

Why? That’s exactly what I’d want. A hard hitting, shrewd negotiator who won’t overpay and is prepared to walk away. 

Yeah it’s a tough game, M&A, especially in the sports sector. ‘Won’t overpay’ is one thing. Capitalising on short term problems (COVID) with a view to underpaying is different. “We’ve got them by the short and curlies...
The businessman I most respected used to say: “I’m always willing to leave something on the table.” I’d like the club to be owned by that man. It’s likely you won’t see the investment you want from the guy who wants to underpay. 
I suspect the main difference between us tho is that I like MM and I think he may be in a corner just now; and I get the feeling you have a different view.  ? 

Cheers though 

Edited by kevinhectoring

On 04/01/2021 at 08:06, tinman said:

I see Burnley's recent takeover was financed through a loan from MSD.

£80 million loan from MSD, plus the purchasers used Burnley’s own cash reserves to buy the club. 
sounds dodgy as duck to me 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I suspect the main difference between us tho is that I like MM and I think he may be in a corner just now; and I get the feeling you have a different view.  ? 

I don’t dislike him. I don’t think he’s been a great owner, but I think he’s tried to be and his intentions have been good.

I don’t know him personally, but I know someone who does, and through them I’ve heard a few things. From that, it’s clear that he’s a very fair and honourable man, and lives by those principles. 
I wouldn’t be disappointed if he continued to be our owner, though I expect it would be a very different model to the one he operated in the first 3-4 years.