Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's for a sum exceeding £500,000, they haven't paid it and are being taken to court in an attempt to recover it.

HTH

Ok, so why haven’t they paid it?

What discussions have been had between client and legal team?

Is the fee in dispute, or the work?

If the fee, what was the initial fee...it may not be 500k?

Is the entire amount in dispute or a portion?

Basically what’s the other side of the story?

As I said, they could well be complete barstewards........but unless you have all the info from the court case which hasn’t happened yet, or you have been involved in the process then I’d be tempted to dial it down a bit on a public forum until these things are known/made public.

Or we could go down the route of saying well they look like they could be guilty, so let’s hang them anyway!

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

For a start they owe a law firm more than £500,000 for work it did on their failed attempt to buy Newcastle United last year & that company are having to take them to court to reclaim it

I mean...  hello?

Hello ( just throwing that one back at you childish i know )........................do you know the details of the case ? Do you know the facts ? There may be a legitimate dispute which is why its going to court ? It's too easy to throw accusations about with no facts just opinion.

You may be right but equally you may be wrong be neither of us know.

Normally when you post things on here they are with a reasonably reasoned argument why is this time different ?

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

For a start they owe a law firm more than £500,000 for work it did on their failed attempt to buy Newcastle United last year & that company are having to take them to court to reclaim it

I mean...  hello?

Just because one party owes another party monies doesn't automatically make the first party a welcher. 

There could be a number of very valid reasons not in the public domain why the debt is being disputed. 

Unless the business of the potential new owners has suffered a catastrophic but unreported collapse it seems unlikely that any firm who could not find half a million would try to buy Newcastle United. If our deal does collapse then it is unlikely that Mel would say anything until it is absolutely certain that it does so. He would probably not be obliged to say anything if it had already collapsed if there are legal issues at any level. My opinion is to forget about it until something is said by Mel. We are a club in the bottom three with an interim manager. Escaping relegation is our main and perhaps our only pressing concern.

And the thing is , our prospective new owners haven't made a single official comment but this message board has them as everything between the whole financial might of Man City to personally responsible for human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia

Maybe this highlights the pitfalls of a forum 

I mean, they've not given TV updates, not got any journalists to print interviews with them, nothing ........ But many have made their minds up about them already 

12 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Ok, so why haven’t they paid it?

What discussions have been had between client and legal team?

Is the fee in dispute, or the work?

If the fee, what was the initial fee...it may not be 500k?

Is the entire amount in dispute or a portion?

Basically what’s the other side of the story?

As I said, they could well be complete barstewards........but unless you have all the info from the court case which hasn’t happened yet, or you have been involved in the process then I’d be tempted to dial it down a bit on a public forum until these things are known/made public.

Or we could go down the route of saying well they look like they could be guilty, so let’s hang them anyway!

Can you even take a different legal entity to court?

Surely if there is an unpaid bill it has to be with the company who was looking to acquire Newcastle and that certainly wasn't Derventio Holdings as they didn't even exist at the time!

Anyway - There will be lots of complications in this and without seeing the contract we don't even know what the legal basis for the claim is or the legal defence.

However, I don't see how Derventio can be held accountable and even more so if the legal directors are different?

Details so far 

The case is Pinsent Masons LLP v. Bin Zayed Investments LLC, case number QB-2020-000744, in the High Court of Justice of England and Wales.

International law firm Pinsent Masons LLP filed a breach of contract claim against Bin Zayed Investments LLC, case filed in February 2020 High Court Judgement in favour of Pinsent Masons in September 2020.

Be careful of what you wish for you might get it.

I doubt a company that invest's in so many other different types of companies just doesn't pay a bill. I'm sure they will have their reasons for not paying it, I know if I get a bill I don't feel is justified I will make a complaint & refuse to pay it, so no reason why they wouldn't. They must feel strongly enough about it to let it get to a High Court judgement, even more so in the midst of a potential takeover. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

The takeover has collapsed? Well, I for one could not have seen this coming....

If Sheikh Khaled ever takes over this club, I’ll change my username to ILoveLeedsUnited. It’s not happening, and it hasn’t been for weeks. Eventually the excuses just run out. The signs were there with the Newcastle takeover, I’m afraid Mel has been had.... again.

Now you have nauled your colours to the flag, I'm very confident that this takeover....

Will go through this month.

45 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Dean Smith at Aston Villa has spent £225 on players in two years. He scraped survival last year and is doing very well this tear.Wowsers.

I've spent more than that on Christmas presents this year alone and I'm not finished yet.

7 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Details so far 

The case is Pinsent Masons LLP v. Bin Zayed Investments LLC, case number QB-2020-000744, in the High Court of Justice of England and Wales.

International law firm Pinsent Masons LLP filed a breach of contract claim against Bin Zayed Investments LLC, case filed in February 2020 High Court Judgement in favour of Pinsent Masons in September 2020.

Call me a bit thick here, but arent we being purchased by Derventio Holdings, not Bin Zayed Group?

Surely a court in England cant wind up a company in Dubai?

So, if we are being purchased by Derventio and not BZG, this has no bearing on our takeover surely.

45 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Ok, so why haven’t they paid it? / What discussions have been had between client and legal team? / Is the fee in dispute, or the work? / If the fee, what was the initial fee...it may not be 500k? / Is the entire amount in dispute or a portion?/ Basically what’s the other side of the story?

43 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Hello ( just throwing that one back at you childish i know )........................do you know the details of the case ? Do you know the facts ? There may be a legitimate dispute which is why its going to court ? It's too easy to throw accusations about with no facts just opinion.

You may be right but equally you may be wrong be neither of us know.

Normally when you post things on here they are with a reasonably reasoned argument why is this time different ?

36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just because one party owes another party monies doesn't automatically make the first party a welcher / There could be a number of very valid reasons not in the public domain why the debt is being disputed. 

You can ask those questions for eternity and never know the full answer.

It could be anyone's 'fault' but if the simple fact that the situation has even arisen isn't setting off alarm bells in your head then I'm not sure anything will.

On its own it's easier to ignore, but against a backdrop of multiple failed takeovers they're ringing loudly. At some point you've got to stop sitting on the fence and say how you really feel.

I've not been given a single reason to trust our potential new owners, I've got no reason to trust the EFL's checks & approval procedures.  As much as I approve of Mel Morris' intentions and appreciate his financial outlay (and the reasons he can't continue) the failure of the Gabay deal, the complications of the Dell loan & the subsequent delays don't give me any comfort that he's approaching this deal from a position of strength.

I'll be amazed if a year down the line we're not sitting here wondering how we fell into the same sort of situation as Forest did under Fawaz.

If we weren't so desperate, if we hadn't put ourselves in such a weak position & if we could be certain of Mel Morris' continued investment beyond keeping everything running (which is expensive enough and can't last forever!)) then I'm sure many wouldn't even be contemplating dealing with a company who've already had such concerns raised about them.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

No particular reason it should hold up the takeover. 

In fact it could be a positive. Once the takeover happens and the club is an asset of BZI, the lawyers could send around the bailiffs and we could just give them Tom Lawrence.

you think that will cover the bill?

10 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Details so far 

I said that a bit back..... 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Call me a bit thick here, but arent we being purchased by Derventio Holdings, not Bin Zayed Group?

Surely a court in England cant wind up a court in Dubai?

So, if we are being purchased by Derventio and not BZG, this has no bearing on our takeover surely.

Derventio holdings has all of £1 of capital according to companies house

I haven’t followed much of this lately. All got a bit boring. I’m not sure the latest news really means a great deal though (as I’ve understood it).

If I have a dispute with my plumber because he didn’t do the work he was supposed to then that doesn’t mean I’m a ‘bamford’ or skint.  it just means I stick to my guns and won’t be diddled by cowboys.

Obviously, this might not be the case. It might be that the buyers are completely in the wrong, have no money and will be terrible.

Point is, not much point fretting about it until they take over and we see what they’re like for real. I’m a misery, but one of the major failings of the internet is the ‘space’ it’s created for wild speculation and naval gazing.

Archived