Abu Derby County

tinman

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The end of the month now, but the news from the club is that it's still going ahead. 

I would think for everyone's sanity, if there was any doubt that they would pump the brakes on it (at least publicly). However, I'm not exactly enthused by how this takeover has been played out, nor am I in any delusion that we're about to be the next Man City. 

Didn’t Ed say it was to do with the EFL when it wasn’t?

Firstly, the Athletic article states that the legal bill is more than £500,000, secondly the lawyers suing the sheik are Pinsent Mason, one of the biggest law companies in the UK and who have a major presence world wide especially in the Middle East they are definitely not an entity to screw with. My question therefore would be won't pay or can't pay, given the lawyers involved my considered view is the latter.

Mel should tell them "piss or get off the pot".

When you consider the apparent reasons for the collapse of the Newcastle takeover (Ashley upping the price by a small amount at the last minute) and now a refusal or inability to pay legal bills this does not exactly look rosy. I can't pretend to know the particulars and maybe it's a set of bad coincidences that are not reflective of the incoming ownership but I'm not going to lie this has me a little worried. 

43 minutes ago, Coconut said:

'barriers' - never heard that one.

It marks us out as having been financially reckless and increasingly desperate, but also cunning & resourceful - but most importantly of all we've acted within the accepted and agreed rules, and this has been proven.

That's a completely different situation anyway, and failing to pay someone what you owe them isn't cunning & resourceful, it's shoddy, disreputable & unethical business practice - we're not talking about a couple of grand here, it's half a million!

If this was a report about Fawaz owing half a million to someone, you'd be laughing your head off as you no doubt did every time they ended up with a winding up order because he was always so late paying suppliers

As it is the only thing some are doing with their heads seems to be sticking them in the sand.

I've never personally dealt with any of the tradesmen you see on Watchdog, doesn't mean I can't judge them on the evidence provided by the show!

Barriers was a spell check correction of bamfords.

What are the details of the non payment of the legal bill?

I did getting carried away when the news broke we were getting taken over by a multi billionaire Sheikh.......luckily I reined myself in after the Geordie post, nothing has convinced me he wasn't bullshitting, this has all been an absolute farce, if it does go through I genuinely do worry about the future, because these shiekhs are absolutely nowhere near on the same playing field as the Man City Shiekhs

48 minutes ago, Gritty said:

I think that Steve is a 'reporter'; i.e. he  reports news that he hears about and he does that well.

I think many people these days favour what I'd call 'journalism' where people like Ryan Conway add value by doing some analysis and adding their own perspectives on the team, analysing formations, searching out ex players and doing some interviews with them that are genuinely insightful etc

Now I don't want to draw too stark a divide between them. There is cross-over.  And I'm not saying Steve isn't capable of these things at all; rather that what is asked of him by the DT is different.  He needs to provide 'news' each day because that is what is demanded, whereas the Athletic can spend more time researching a theme in depth over a week or so, and then publishing an article

And at what point, for these so called journalists,  is 'some analysis' wrong, drawing the wrong conclusions, or 'their own perspectives' become misinterpretation or even lies made up to suit their own story or their previous analysis? Too often journalists peddle their own opinion as fact or the sole truth. Give me reporting and allow me to make my own mind up, any time.

There's no story to sell in 'deal going through just taking a while'; plenty of story in 'deal collapsing because of debt ridden arab'. Journalists, so called, have ulterior motives for writing stories too. 

The real truth is that very few people, including everyone on this forum and on the athletic,  have no idea where the deal is up to or even what the deal is. And neither should we until we’re told whether it’s going through or not

The most concerning thing for me is the fact Mel almost sold us to Gabay, or at least gave up part of the club. He woke up 1st Jan expecting to see 8 million deposited into the clubs accounts and it never appeared. Months later and Gabay is facing criminal charges, lucky escape, by the skin of our teeth.

This latest investment (or takeover) is starting to unravel, Sheikh Khaled hasnt even tasted the roast potatoes in the North Stand yet and already the media are reporting negative articles about him and the takeover.  When I clicked on here today and saw the article it took my brain a few minutes to realise the story wasnt by the Daily Mail but in fact the Athletic. Had it been the Mail I would have dismissed it as fiction, but as it is the Athletic, it's ever so slightly concerning.

Surely Mel isnt so desperate to sell us that he would jeopardise it's very future? 

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

I think that Steve is a 'reporter'; i.e. he  reports news that he hears about and he does that well.

I think many people these days favour what I'd call 'journalism' where people like Ryan Conway add value by doing some analysis and adding their own perspectives on the team, analysing formations, searching out ex players and doing some interviews with them that are genuinely insightful etc

Now I don't want to draw too stark a divide between them. There is cross-over.  And I'm not saying Steve isn't capable of these things at all; rather that what is asked of him by the DT is different.  He needs to provide 'news' each day because that is what is demanded, whereas the Athletic can spend more time researching a theme in depth over a week or so, and then publishing an article

I agree with this. I wasn't aiming my comments at Ryan Conway or The Athletic, more the footy247, footballinsider, tribalfootball type outlets. Pure sensationalism and clickbait.

Steve's reporting is often accurate, his match reports are insightful and his knowledge of all things DCFC is exceptional. His hands are tied when it comes to reporting the stories due to the way the DT and their operation is suffering by not keeping up with the changes in the media landscape. The Athletic is a relatively new success story and they are built online only so don't have to worry about any overheads or catering for people who like news like it used to be.

5 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

This is the sort of ******** we have been fed since October the 30th

Screenshot_20201215_140447_com.twitter.android.jpg

Just looking and relooking through that post to see where exactly the CLUB have said anything.....or if It is just some random journalist with a job to do by publishing any old crap to sell “newspapers” (advertisements) 

had another look...and nope I don’t see anything...