Abu Derby County

tinman

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Doesn’t sound like we’re going to be getting any significant investment from them, going by that report earlier. Don’t think this will be the turning point some people think it will be...

I think what will happen is they come in and first job is to get us safe, hopefully with a few decent signings in jan without going mad. Next season is when the rebuilding starts and I can see, again some decent investment in players without going mad, as before.

Once we finally get to the Prem, this is where I think the big investment will come.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Doesn’t sound like we’re going to be getting any significant investment from them, going by that report earlier. Don’t think this will be the turning point some people think it will be...

for me it is hope rather than expectation given there doesn't appear to be much else that will get us out of the bottom 3.  Unless covid helsp us out I don't there is anything else

11 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Don’t want us promoted? What? 

Neither do I, It's a false enviroment IMO, Cheeting players, Inadequate officialls, VAR...christ on a bike, Commontators fawning over what they see infront of them, Stupid o'clock kick offs(I cancelled BT Sport last month)Sky will be next come Summer.

The EFL is as poor as the above, But not as rich.

2 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Neither do I, It's a false enviroment IMO, Cheeting players, Inadequate officialls, VAR...christ on a bike, Commontators fawning over what they see infront of them, Stupid o'clock kick offs(I cancelled BT Sport last month)Sky will be next come Summer.

So you’d want us in the national league then. 

8 minutes ago, James Pond said:

That's right as there's none of that in this league is there? 

99.9% of fans of ANY club want's to see their team successful and compete at it's highest level possible. 

For fans to say they don't want us to eventually pit our wits against the likes of man utd, Chelsea, Man city etc and dream of playing real madrid, milan etc is, imo mad.

How amazing would it be in years to come to have a wed night match under the floodlights in the europa or champions league playing a top european club?

Who wouldn't want that????

46 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes let’s just stay in this league (although that could be under threat) forever. Playing the same teams every season, same grounds, same cities and towns. 

You have a Bizzare logic. Utterly Bizzare. 

Who wants to be sipping champagne in Monaco in the Europa League when we could be eating rat burgers on the A50 at Barry’s baps on a wet and cold Tuesday night in the championship. 

We don’t have to be in the premiership to be in European completion you know. 

7 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

That's right as there's none of that in this league is there? 

99.9% of fans of ANY club want's to see their team successful and compete at it's highest level possible. 

For fans to say they don't want us to eventually pit our wits against the likes of man utd, Chelsea, Man city etc and dream of playing real madrid, milan etc is, imo mad.

How amazing would it be in years to come to have a wed night match under the floodlights in the europa or champions league playing a top european club?

Who wouldn't want that????

Did you read all my post?

99.9% is a very bold statement, Do you work for a research company?

23 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

.....especially if they cannot afford £1 million compensation for Steve Cooper.

Genuine question but has anyone actually said we can't afford the compensation? Are there any reliable sources that say we've enquired and/or Swansea have quoted that figure? If so, is it case that we can't afford it or we don't want to pay it?

I haven't trailed back through the whole thread so I could be (and quite often am) completely wrong but my guess is it's all pure speculation and putting two and two together and getting any sort of random number but not necessarily four.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

So you’d want us in the national league then. 

It wouldn't effect my life one jot, I've been there, Seen that and got enough T shirts to sell on ebay.

Is it possible that those who would want us promoted...only want to see those opposing players in real life, As opposed to TV?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Genuine question but has anyone actually said we can't afford the compensation? Are there any reliable sources that say we've enquired and/or Swansea have quoted that figure? If so, is it case that we can't afford it or we don't want to pay it?

I haven't trailed back through the whole thread so I could be (and quite often am) completely wrong but my guess is it's all pure speculation and putting two and two together and getting any sort of random number but not necessarily four.

Good point.

It's now at the stage where you cannot believe anything written in certain papers/websites.

5 minutes ago, James Pond said:

It wouldn't effect my life one jot, I've been there, Seen that and got enough T shirts to sell on ebay.

Is it possible that those who would want us promoted...only want to see those opposing players in real life, As opposed to TV?

I totally disagree with this theory, I want to see our team go up against the best teams and hopefully put in a good show. It's not about wanting see the other teams players. We get lower crowds against the less sexy teams in the league, yet we sell out against the red dogs, this isn't because fans wants to see the red dogs players, its because the fans want us to beat them more than any other team.

15 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Leicester fans watch their team go toe to toe with Mane, Salah, De Bryne.. Why should that not appeal to me more than watching us play Wycombe? 

I'm in favour of the takeover but let's not be under any delusions taking money from this takeover is tainted. I actually have studied the UAE and the Middle East for my Undergraduate, Masters and am in the third year of my PhD using the Middle East as my case studies, so I'm not totally ignorant on the subject. The UAE may not be the worst place in the gulf but it is certainly extremely authoritarian, regressive and violates human rights on a scale which is difficult to really imagine and understand. The methodologies deployed by the UAE are aimed at snuffing out any form of dissent before it begins- whether that is through extreme forms of surveillance or financial benefits. The use of excessive state benefits to ensure compliance are the foundation of the rentier economy that props up a number of the gulf states. This flips the 'no taxation without representation' on its head and argues 'no taxation therefore no representation'. 

The society that has been constructed in a similar fashion to Qatar has created categories of citizenship (whether to the same degree I cannot be sure off the top of my head) that gives extreme financial rewards to some and not others based on their genealogy. To quote one article 

"The local population of the UAE constitutes 11.5 percent of the total population (GLMM, “Evolution of Population Figures”). Among the local population, there are locals with “full citizenship rights” (those who also possess khulasat al-qaid, the “family book,” a document issued to Emirati nationals who can trace ethnic lineage in the UAE to 1925 or before or were granted citizenship by the state), locals with passports (those who hold travel documents specifically, but do not enjoy full citizenship because they do not possess khulasat al-qaid), and Bidouns (UAE residents who do not possess khulasat al-qaid or passports and are technically unregistered former nomads)" 

This again is just another way to ensure compliance and effectively make the regime resistance proof by giving a proportion of the population a lot to lose. I'm not sure if they systematically use what are tantamount to slaves in the same way that Qatar does by importing labour from poorer countries, take their passports from them and hold them in conditions that are disgusting however so I'd have to double check that.

The UAE and other countries have used their patronage of sporting events and clubs as one arm of a diplomatic effort to promote their soft power and normalise their regimes. It's not just clubs where certain gulf countries have invested in to name PSG and Manchester City as just 2 examples, but also tennis and other high profile sporting events such as the world cup in Qatar. Trying to wash away these ethical concerns is I think wrong but each fan needs to make up their own mind on the subject. Personally, I would be just as vexed if our club was to enter ownership from other countries such as China or even a large businessman who resides in China due to the levels of state interference that exist there so it's not just this investment that is problematic. It is not really very honest to claim that Mel Morris' business interests represent the same kinds of ethical questions as this does. 

Personally, until football as a whole decides they will not take money from certain countries or individuals I think Derby should accept the investment as long as we draw some red lines. If those red lines are crossed over I'd be very disappointed in the club and I would find it difficult to put my money into it if I'm being honest. I'd obviously rather us find investors with none of these ethical problems but if there are none to be found it's not like Mel can continue to fund the club indefinitely. 

40 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Don’t understand the logic of supporting a team and not wanting success/ promotion. I actually like the championship so never too disappointed not to go up but would never want to stay here at the expense of promotion. There are cheating players in this league too, and maybe VAR will be introduced into tier 2 at some stage. Officials generally are better in the top league. 
Unfortunately premier league is the only league to be in over a long period to protect a club financially at the moment. Imagine relegation , no fans back in stadium and takeover collapsing then what? We have really suffered financially not being in the top tier. 
And kick offs at stupid o clock? I assume you mean non Saturday 3pm. We have had some odd times in this league. 
Did you want us to lose at Wembley??

5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I would say 100 per cent would want their team to be successful, surely they wouldn’t be a fan otherwise?

You'd think that, but you just have to read some of the nonsense on here on a daily basis... ? 

4 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I would say 100 per cent would want their team to be successful, surely they wouldn’t be a fan otherwise?

Define Successfull, Wining trophies, A play off place every other season but failing, Mid table maybe, Finishing 17th in the Premier league season on season, Be another Leicester...What?

Archived