Abu Derby County

tinman

2 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

That does not mean that this is what is happening at DCFC.  They may well have sourced funding to buy the club. But if they have there’s a good chance that it is a leveraged purchase.  I hope you’ve got decent local journalists / fanzines who can look over this stuff should the sale eventually go through.  

Seriously?  I'm sure the local ones are nice people but I've not seen any local journo's questioning this, they're all still pulling the "Billionaire Owners" bull and believing everything they're told.

They're not journalists, they are reporters as far as I can tell. Do we even have any investigative journalists round here?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Totally agree.

Just my opinion, but I honestly think there is a case of arrogance at play.

If I were a betting man I would wager Mel thought with the games coming up since sacking Cocu, if we put Wayne in, we would have a couple of wins under our belts, things would look rosier and our club would look more attractive to any applicants and would have a good pool to pick from and Rooney.

As it is, we are a risky proposition, especially if a manager doesn't want relegation against their name.

Nothing to do with arrogance I would wager. I would say this is more to do with cash/funding limits. Mel is maxed out - whether by choice or circumstances. No substantial new contracts will be agreed until the new team are in, when either funds are injected/some jiggery pokery is done to improve our P&S position. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

"A change of ownership at Derby County remains close, DerbyshireLive understands."

"This has been a constant message in recent weeks and has caused frustration among some fans, but it is the case."

"A decision on who will be the next permanent manager of the Rams is expected once the takeover is completed."

"Derby have a list of names they are working to although they had yet to speak to or interview candidates as of Saturday afternoon."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-takeover-manager-rooney-4748858

Not been funny but I'm fed up of hearing that the takeover remains close. They will still be saying this in January. 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Nothing to do with arrogance I would wager. I would say this is more to do with cash/funding limits. Mel is maxed out - whether by choice or circumstances. No substantial new contracts will be agreed until the new team are in, when either funds are injected/some jiggery pokery is done to improve our P&S position. 

I perhaps word it wrong.

It isnt out of pure arrogance, I'm sure in an ideal world Mel would have gone to any number of clubs, paid the release fee and take 1 of the top managers, as you say finance dictates.

But, I still think he had confidence in Rooney to get that new manager bounce and for us to see an upturn in results, especially with Wycombe coming up, almost like the upcoming fixtures gave us a little time to sort things out.

If he knew we would be 5 points from safety, rooted to the bottom of the championship after the Wycombe game, i would imagine things may have happened quicker.

54 minutes ago, Derbados said:

“Derby have a list of names they are working to although they had yet to speak to or interview candidates as of Saturday afternoon."

Ridiculous 

Cocu left the club on the 14th November, 16 days ago. 

I would wager any decent initial candidates that initially applied have probably now run a mile after our latest string of results. 

Any manager that has run a mile from our last few results wouldn't be welcome here anyway. We want somebody that can fight their way out of a corner.

A good manager would actually relish the challenge and look at staying up similar to promotion, especially taking a club from bottom of the league to survival and then working on promotion the following season. They'd instantly be a fans favourite.

Everything isn't doom and gloom like you portray. 

17 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Any manager that has run a mile from our last few results wouldn't be welcome here anyway. We want somebody that can fight their way out of a corner.

A good manager would actually relish the challenge and look at staying up similar to promotion, especially taking a club from bottom of the league to survival and then working on promotion the following season. They'd instantly be a fans favourite.

Everything isn't doom and gloom like you portray. 

I get what your saying and yes you would be portrayed as a hero so to speak. 

My question is, if I was an ambitious, talented manager and was asked to take over a club bottom of the league, 6 points clear of safety in the middle of an uncertain takeover with the EFL seemingly still out to get us and our names constantly plastered over the media because of Wayne Rooney and his gang, not to mention the real possibility of then having a relegation stamped on my CV, would I take it? 

The risk would be to great and i’d wait for another, more stable opportunity.

Our club must be coming across as a total basket case to anyone who’s half decent and has something about them, my fear is we are going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get anyone stupid enough to take the job, we are not an attractive proposition at all currently.  

5 minutes ago, Derbados said:

My question is, if I was an ambitious, talented manager and was asked to take over a club bottom of the league, 6 points clear of safety in the middle of an uncertain takeover with the EFL seemingly still out to get us and our names constantly plastered over the media because of Wayne Rooney and his gang, not to mention the real possibility of then having a relegation stamped on my CV, would I take it? 

Our club must be coming across as a total basket case to anyone who’s half decent and has something about them, my fear is we are going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get anyone stupid enough to take the job, we are not an attractive proposition at all currently.  

Could be a brilliant prospect too depending on what details are given when the take-over is announced.

McClaren will know the ins and outs already and I don't think he would have committed again if things aren't going to change dramatically before January.

Keep the faith pal. 

19 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Could be a brilliant prospect too depending on what details are given when the take-over is announced.

McClaren will know the ins and outs already and I don't think he would have committed again if things aren't going to change dramatically before January.

Keep the faith pal. 

There are at least a couple of reasons to be optimistic about this takeover.

Stevie Mac - there is only one reason he has been hired as a Technical Director, thats to sign players, you would think he knows our budget and our plans, I cant see him taking up the position if was told to transform the club top to bottom with no money.

Rooney - he wants the job and to be given half a chance here he will need money to spend, he would walk away if he was asked to manage but not have money to spend.

We aren't about to see Man City levels of spending, but I'm sure there will be a couple of players signed at least in Jan, if the takeover is confirmed.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

There are at least a couple of reasons to be optimistic about this takeover.

Stevie Mac - there is only one reason he has been hired as a Technical Director, thats to sign players, you would think he knows our budget and our plans, I cant see him taking up the position if was told to transform the club top to bottom with no money.

Rooney - he wants the job and to be given half a chance here he will need money to spend, he would walk away if he was asked to manage but not have money to spend.

We aren't about to see Man City levels of spending, but I'm sure there will be a couple of players signed at least in Jan, if the takeover is confirmed.

Don't forget that Steve's son is head of recruitment so would possibly work very well. Take a look at the last academy show from a couple of weeks ago. 

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Stevie Mac - there is only one reason he has been hired as a Technical Director, thats to sign players, y

... but we've just been told he was involved in the last half time team talk   !!!     Don't be fooled by these job titles, he's there as Rooney's minder. Thank the Lord.     That's not to say he won't do other things ...

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

... but we've just been told he was involved in the last half time team talk   !!!     Don't be fooled by these job titles, he's there as Rooney's minder. Thank the Lord.     That's not to say he won't do other things ...

I still think Stevie Mac has more to do with the takeover than we have been told, just my opinion.

I just cant imagine Shiekh Khaled would have specifically wanted McClaren, unless they pair had already met, is it a coincidence they have had dealings with two of Macs previous clubs, Newcastle and now Derby?

I also refuse to believe Mel would have suggested McClaren to the Arabs as a good candidate for a job, given previous experiences.

So I wonder, as the Sun article from 2 years ago suggested, if Mac was tasked by a mysterious backer to go and find a club, Mac suggested Derby, after Newcastle fell through, the mysterious backer buys Derby and then hires their man (Mac) as technical director.

When this was first being talked about I'd be refreshing Newsnow every few minutes for the very latest. Realized I hadn't looked at the site for a few days, so loaded it up. No news. 

I have a little faith in Nicko, so it's interesting to see he's still positive. And Mac seems to have been a joint appointment. But I'm not especially hopeful given the time it's taking and the negativity surrounding the club (given out current league position). 

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I still think Stevie Mac has more to do with the takeover than we have been told, just my opinion.

yes, saw your earlier post on this and hadn't thought about it before. Don't know what SM's connections are but I'm sure as former england manager he can get people to return his calls   

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

I can agree to this, but you are underselling us just a little. We have many things to spin also. Fantastic facilities, prosperus academy, loyal fanbase, fickle, but fiercely loyal. When it happens, a new owner,  possibly ambitous new owner with a little financial clout.

Plenty to build on if they can keep us in the division by seasons end and a rebuild for the next season.

I would wager a few experianced heads out there would love a crack with Derby even under the current circumstances.

27 minutes ago, desirelines said:

The more I thought about the Press Conf. with R&R, the more I thought this deal must be done.  Who in their right mind would let a potential incoming owner have Zoom calls with the coaching team, if the money wasn't already confirmed?  Unless it was part of their Due Diligence process, in which case, it should still be highly likely to complete.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wasnt the last takeover potentially close this time last year, in time for the Jan window which never happened and the players didnt get paid because we were waiting for it to complete

I was thinking about this too.

We never actually got told it wasn't happening. The DET just kept saying it's not gone away and after months of nothing happening the interest dried up. I wouldn't expect the club to tell us this deal isn't happening, they never have in the past.

Archived