Abu Derby County

tinman

If Sm is back i would suggest it shows a lack of imagination ,finances ,forward thinking and initial ambition. One could say the club is going round in circles however it appears to be more spiralling downwards .Sm was a good coach and yes did well for us in the past but we need to move forward ,Appointing Sm in my opinion makes us look clueless and a laughing stock.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

If Sm is back i would suggest it shows a lack of imagination ,finances ,forward thinking and initial ambition. One could say the club is going round in circles however it appears to be more spiralling downwards .Sm was a good coach and yes did well for us in the past but we need to move forward ,Appointing Sm in my opinion makes us look clueless and a laughing stock.

Or he's taking us right to the top. 

We've got somebody with a lot of experience who knows football and Derby inside out. I don't think it's that bad all depending on who comes in as manager.

He got us playing some of the best football in the last 20 years - we'd all love that right now, starting tomorrow night. 

22 hours ago, BIllyD said:

How do you determine the success of the academy? Winning U23 leagues is all well and great but is not a sign of success, surely this can only be based upon the success or sale of players produced from the academy, in which case I'm not sure how you can put this under the successful category as yet ?

Unless you are top 4 the only measure of success of an academy is if you sell enough of your talent to cover its costs.

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Or he's taking us right to the top. 

We've got somebody with a lot of experience who knows football and Derby inside out. I don't think it's that bad all depending on who comes in as manager.

He got us playing some of the best football in the last 20 years - we'd all love that right now, starting tomorrow night. 

Unimaginative appointment,questionable credibility,, probably earnt more in redundancy payments than employment.Hardly an inspirational appointment ,can't imagine one club kicking their heels that they didn't employ him including Wycombe

5 hours ago, BIllyD said:

We were talking, or I was, about the success as the result of spending additional amounts and moving the philosophy of promoting youth under Mel. What you have highlighted is that we were achieving the same prior to having these additional wonderful new facilities.

We could field a full team of youth players who could be considered regulars in the championship, surely you agree though it's not a success if you get relegated with these players ? 

Something like 10 years for the those in the youngest age group to get to an age where they can start to be considered as part of the first team. Only 5 more years until we can consider whether it was money well spent I guess. Or you can look at the progress year on year. Let's look in terms of birth year for now and those who have played a professional game:

2003: Delap
2002: -
2001: Knight, Whittaker, Sibley, Buchanan, JBrown
2000: Bogle, MBird
1999: JMitchell-Lawson
1998: -
1997: Lowe, MacDonald, JBird
1996: Bennett, Guy, Zanzala, Rawson, Vernam
1995: Hughes, Hanson, KThomas
1994: Dales, Lelan
1993: -
1992: Hendrick, Connolly, Ball, O'Brien
1991: Ojamaa, Mutch, Kean, Severn
1990: GMills, Simmons

It seems obvious to me that an increase in academy expenditure is resulting in more consistency in the quality of player coming through. Anyone watching the youth sides over the years will notice the overall ability is improving. These are the players grouped by age group (listed by year they became first year scholars) 

New scholars by season:
20/21: Roberts, Randle, Rutt, Williams, Cian-Kelly, Borkovic, Brailsford, Christie, Ibrahim
19/20: Solomon, Jinkinson, Bardell, Grewal-Pollard, Matthews, Aghatise, Rogers, Perez de Gracia, SThompson, Nto, Cybulski
18/19: Foster, Halwax, Ebosele, MacDonald, Charles, Cashin, LThompson, Sibley, Wilson, ABrown, Stretton
17/18: French, Buchanan, Minkley, JBrown, MBird, Knight, Dixon, Whittaker
16/17: Fryatt, Carter-Thompson, CThomas, Mbuti, Rashid, JMills, Bogle, JThorne, Haywood, Hitchman, Wise, Jibodu, Mitchell-Lawson, Cresswell, Davie
15/16:  Bateman, Davidson-Miller, Edwards, Goode, Magno, Yates
14/15: Babos, Gordon, MacDonald, Barnes, JBird, Carvell, Cover, Mellors, Stabana, EWassall
13/14: Behrens, Lowe, Tuite, Rigby, Moulton, Dryden, Adams, Bennett, Clennett, Vernam, Guy, Zanzala
12/13: Rawson, Hanson, KThomas, Spiriak, Nash, Revan, Capitani, Carrigy, Johnson
11/12: Hughes, Etheridge, Hayes, Berry, Lelan, Sharpe, Dawkins, Dales, AWassall, Wixted

From 17/18 we have 4 regulars in the matchday squad, with 1 more having featured in the squad a few times.
From 18/19 we have 1 regular in the squad, MacDonald and Wilson have been named on the bench, and there are calls for the inclusion of Ebosele, ABrown and Stretton. Foster's also the most promising keeper our academy has produced since Camp and Grant. All those listed have been training with the first team
From 19/20, Solomon was regular during pre-season. We even had Borkovic and Ibrahim from the latest 20/21 group with the first team in pre-season.
However, before 17/18, we didn't have many promising players who a lot thought would be first team regulars. Maybe one or 2 each season who had the potential to be squad players, occasionally a player who promised more, with the rest L2 or even non-league quality. With our increased expenditure, we now look to be getting at least a couple a year with PL potential, 4 Championship, and the rest at least L2 level. We need to be generating £6m worth of talent each season to breakeven - that means 1 PL quality player or 3/4 Championship level. The money being spent is proving to be money well spent.

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

the school governors have appointed a stand in Head in case there is squabbling between Liam and Wayne in year 11. He knows Wayne from kindergarten and they reckon he can cope with him. 

I think it means we have caretakers all season provided they turn it around. And it'll be next summer before we see real money spent and a permanent manager. 

May be driven by residual FFP concerns - the club's year end is 30 June. Perhaps the 32red contract is a factor. 

Looking forward to 21/22

19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Something like 10 years for the those in the youngest age group to get to an age where they can start to be considered as part of the first team. Only 5 more years until we can consider whether it was money well spent I guess. Or you can look at the progress year on year. Let's look in terms of birth year for now and those who have played a professional game:

2003: Delap
2002: -
2001: Knight, Whittaker, Sibley, Buchanan, JBrown
2000: Bogle, MBird
1999: JMitchell-Lawson
1998: -
1997: Lowe, MacDonald, JBird
1996: Bennett, Guy, Zanzala, Rawson, Vernam
1995: Hughes, Hanson, KThomas
1994: Dales, Lelan
1993: -
1992: Hendrick, Connolly, Ball, O'Brien
1991: Ojamaa, Mutch, Kean, Severn
1990: GMills, Simmons

It seems obvious to me that an increase in academy expenditure is resulting in more consistency in the quality of player coming through. Anyone watching the youth sides over the years will notice the overall ability is improving. These are the players grouped by age group (listed by year they became first year scholars) 

New scholars by season:
20/21: Roberts, Randle, Rutt, Williams, Cian-Kelly, Borkovic, Brailsford, Christie, Ibrahim
19/20: Solomon, Jinkinson, Bardell, Grewal-Pollard, Matthews, Aghatise, Rogers, Perez de Gracia, SThompson, Nto, Cybulski
18/19: Foster, Halwax, Ebosele, MacDonald, Charles, Cashin, LThompson, Sibley, Wilson, ABrown, Stretton
17/18: French, Buchanan, Minkley, JBrown, MBird, Knight, Dixon, Whittaker
16/17: Fryatt, Carter-Thompson, CThomas, Mbuti, Rashid, JMills, Bogle, JThorne, Haywood, Hitchman, Wise, Jibodu, Mitchell-Lawson, Cresswell, Davie
15/16:  Bateman, Davidson-Miller, Edwards, Goode, Magno, Yates
14/15: Babos, Gordon, MacDonald, Barnes, JBird, Carvell, Cover, Mellors, Stabana, EWassall
13/14: Behrens, Lowe, Tuite, Rigby, Moulton, Dryden, Adams, Bennett, Clennett, Vernam, Guy, Zanzala
12/13: Rawson, Hanson, KThomas, Spiriak, Nash, Revan, Capitani, Carrigy, Johnson
11/12: Hughes, Etheridge, Hayes, Berry, Lelan, Sharpe, Dawkins, Dales, AWassall, Wixted

From 17/18 we have 4 regulars in the matchday squad, with 1 more having featured in the squad a few times.
From 18/19 we have 1 regular in the squad, MacDonald and Wilson have been named on the bench, and there are calls for the inclusion of Ebosele, ABrown and Stretton. Foster's also the most promising keeper our academy has produced since Camp and Grant. All those listed have been training with the first team
From 19/20, Solomon was regular during pre-season. We even had Borkovic and Ibrahim from the latest 20/21 group with the first team in pre-season.
However, before 17/18, we didn't have many promising players who a lot thought would be first team regulars. Maybe one or 2 each season who had the potential to be squad players, occasionally a player who promised more, with the rest L2 or even non-league quality. With our increased expenditure, we now look to be getting at least a couple a year with PL potential, 4 Championship, and the rest at least L2 level. We need to be generating £6m worth of talent each season to breakeven - that means 1 PL quality player or 3/4 Championship level. The money being spent is proving to be money well spent.

Where do Kellan Gordon and Timi Max Elsnik fit into this, GOC? Neither on your list - is that because we let them go free or because they weren't in the Academy long enough? 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Where do Kellan Gordon and Timi Max Elsnik fit into this, GOC? Neither on your list - is that because we let them go free or because they weren't in the Academy long enough? 

I've only listed those who were first year scholars (1st year at U18 level). 
I missed Gordon off the 14/15 group.
Elsnik signed as an 18 year old and went straight into the U21 (now U23) squad.

I would have gone further back but struggled to find information with full lists.

21 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Another day and what have we heard? Nothing, will it ever happen? or is Mel Morris taking us for idiots? 

No, only the impatient ones, Rooney has spoken to the new owners and has said so. Mac's back and will become an advisor once the new owners are in place. All this wouldn't happen if it wasn't going through.

It'll get done, it's a multi million pound deal, he's not buying a 2nd hand car showroom

4 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I will try my friend just seems like nothing happens every day. I get hope thinking is this the day and no and it just seems to drag on. 

Yes I understand that mate. They can't say when it will be announced etc. I know that you and other people would like to know what's happening so so. My guess by Friday. 

Archived