Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

A lot of the players you quoted there as PL players were not part of our current academy though. Best performing players this season, possibly, possibly not, bottom of the league, yes. 

Good to see Norwich are a good example of where it can be a success, didn't know they were a tier one so thanks for correcting me. I wonder if they have an advantage of being one of only two clubs in that region, our one hour radius means we have to compete with many other clubs.

Birmingham, have a bigger catchment area but also have to compete with lots of clubs, once again though an example of their success is one player in the last decade ? Don't get me wrong, he has paid for the academy, but how many Bellingham's do you get. 

Our players have potential, but that's all it is at the moment, to laud the academy as a success, surely you have to have tangible evidence to support this ?

The academy is now regarded as one of the best in the country. This has happened in the last 5 years since Mel took charge. It was never going to blossom in the first 2-3 years of his reign because these things take time. So I do think you can call it a success when we see what revenue it's made the club in the last 12 months through sales of at least 3 academy grown players. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's over £10m the club has made in that time. The list is now endless with the potential talent coming through now, we didn't have this when Mel first took over.

It's also something that would have attracted the new owners to come on board because there's already 5 years of hard work gone into producing some of these players that are coming through. 

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

A lot of the players you quoted there as PL players were not part of our current academy though. Best performing players this season, possibly, possibly not, bottom of the league, yes. 

What's the cut off for "current academy"? All are from the last 20 years, all through the academy at Moor Farm

Good to see Norwich are a good example of where it can be a success, didn't know they were a tier one so thanks for correcting me. I wonder if they have an advantage of being one of only two clubs in that region, our one hour radius means we have to compete with many other clubs.

Birmingham, have a bigger catchment area but also have to compete with lots of clubs, once again though an example of their success is one player in the last decade ? Don't get me wrong, he has paid for the academy, but how many Bellingham's do you get. 

Wolverhampton, WBA, Villa and Coventry? 3 of those are in the north of the county, and Coventry are significantly east. Split Birmingham in half (575k), and add on the southern part of the county and you get a pretty large catchment. There aren't any big club south of Birmingham until you get to Bristol.
Derbyshire for example has only 800,000 but some of those areas are closer to Nottingham, Stoke, Sheffield and even Manchester

Our players have potential, but that's all it is at the moment, to laud the academy as a success, surely you have to have tangible evidence to support this ?

Success is based on getting players to EFL clubs - whether with us, in the PL, or lower leagues. Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker are already regular squad players in the Championship.

Premier League
Regulars - Hendrick, Hughes
Featured - Lowe, Delap, Mutch

Championship
Regulars - Bennett, Lowe, LThomas, Bogle, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Mutch, Addison
Featured - O'Brien, Hanson, Ball, Rawson, Whittaker, JBrown, LWalker, JMitchell-Lawson, Riis Jakobsen, JBird, KThomas, Connolly, Severn, GMills, Dudley, Mendy, Atkins, Kean, Meredith

League 1
Regulars - LThomas, Guy, Zanzala, Vernam, KThomas
Featured - CMacDonald, Mitchell, Hendrie, Dales, Lelan, Kean, Ojamaa

League 2
Regulars - Elsnik, Gordon, Rawson, Hendrie, O'Brien, Atkins
Featured - Etheridge, Sharpe

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What's the cut off for "current academy"? All are from the last 20 years, all through the academy at Moor Farm

Wolverhampton, WBA, Villa and Coventry? 3 of those are in the north of the county, and Coventry are significantly east. Split Birmingham in half (575k), and add on the southern part of the county and you get a pretty large catchment. There aren't any big club south of Birmingham until you get to Bristol.
Derbyshire for example has only 800,000 but some of those areas are closer to Nottingham, Stoke, Sheffield and even Manchester

Success is based on getting players to EFL clubs - whether with us, in the PL, or lower leagues. Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker are already regular squad players in the Championship.

Premier League
Regulars - Hendrick, Hughes
Featured - Lowe, Delap, Mutch

Championship
Regulars - Bennett, Lowe, LThomas, Bogle, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Mutch, Addison
Featured - O'Brien, Hanson, Ball, Rawson, Whittaker, JBrown, LWalker, JMitchell-Lawson, Riis Jakobsen, JBird, KThomas, Connolly, Severn, GMills, Dudley, Mendy, Atkins, Kean, Meredith

League 1
Regulars - LThomas, Guy, Zanzala, Vernam, KThomas
Featured - CMacDonald, Mitchell, Hendrie, Dales, Lelan, Kean, Ojamaa

League 2
Regulars - Elsnik, Gordon, Rawson, Hendrie, O'Brien, Atkins
Featured - Etheridge, Sharpe

You've missed out Barnes.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We were talking, or I was, about the success as the result of spending additional amounts and moving the philosophy of promoting youth under Mel. What you have highlighted is that we were achieving the same prior to having these additional wonderful new facilities.

We could field a full team of youth players who could be considered regulars in the championship, surely you agree though it's not a success if you get relegated with these players ? 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The academy is now regarded as one of the best in the country. This has happened in the last 5 years since Mel took charge. It was never going to blossom in the first 2-3 years of his reign because these things take time. So I do think you can call it a success when we see what revenue it's made the club in the last 12 months through sales of at least 3 academy grown players. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's over £10m the club has made in that time. The list is now endless with the potential talent coming through now, we didn't have this when Mel first took over.

It's also something that would have attracted the new owners to come on board because there's already 5 years of hard work gone into producing some of these players that are coming through. 

I'm guessing the Red Dogs have a superb academy then given what they have made over the past few years on their youth players. 

I'm not saying it can't be a success, just saying at the moment I don't believe is. Potential yes.

I don’t understand that when McClaren has shown over his career that he is an iffy manager but an excellent coach, you would hire him to do the parts of management, the back office stuff, that he is questionable at.

I am all for a director of football / technical director or whatever you want to call it, but not 100% sure his skill set is suited to it.

Guess this rules out Allardyce, Benitez etc. from the manager race.

Just now, nottingram said:

I don’t understand that when McClaren has shown over his career that he is an iffy manager but an excellent coach, you would hire him to do the parts of management, the back office stuff, that he is questionable at.

I am all for a director of football / technical director or whatever you want to call it, but not 100% sure his skill set is suited to it.

Guess this rules out Allardyce, Benitez etc. from the manager race.

I suppose technical director could come with the remit of coaching......I certainly hope it does in Macs case.

I agree we don’t want him involved in scouting/signings and back office stuff. Get him where he’s best on the training ground and advising on tactics!

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

The news of this at least means the takeover hasn't fell through like some were thinking

No disrespect to Mac 3, but how much ambition does this appointment this really show from the new owners?

Pretty clear to me, like others, it’ll be a rookie appointment here now as manager.

1 minute ago, Van Rammeister said:

Pretty clear to me, like others, it’ll be a rookie appointment here now as manager.

Or that we’re not sure we’ll get our #1 choice so we put a short term solution in place and have another go in the summer.

Risky if true, given our current plight.

5 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Patience is virtue possess it if can. 

Found everywhere else but NEVER in a fan.

Rab a dab doo,   another entry for the poetry competition:

An innocent mistake was made in Normanton that day,

they thought she was a gypsy and they thought she said “FA”.

But it was cold and blustery, and hard to see and hear

and she had quite an accent so her meaning wasn’t clear.

She was in fact an Arab lass, a nomad too, God help her, 

a Bedouin by birth and on the way to friends in Belper.

She’d had a long, exhausting trip, her camel had got cramp

and now her tent was leaking, she was tired, cold and damp. 

So when they said: “Hey up me Duck, we’re going to build a stand.

Clear off ! Sir Frances Ley's the legal owner of this land”

...she got upset, emotional, they saw her at her worst,

that's when she hit the Rams fans with her long-enduring curse:

“One hundred years, and twenty five, yes that’s how long you’ll suffer,

dashed hopes, despair and misery, you’ll see there’s nothing tougher.

This long curse will come to an end, you will achieve ascendence  

but only when your football club is bought by my descendants."

Archived