Abu Derby County

tinman

4 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Similar to me then. I wonder if anyone in here knows what’s going off. I think Mel must be a secret poster or at least a voyeur. 

I'm sure @David said ages ago the Mel had a login on the site.

Personally I've always suspected that Mel is @Curtains on here.

21 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I heard we're bringing back Chris martin in January.

I can imagine it now. 

The corner flag announcement as breaking news on January 1st.

'Chris Martin agrees returns to Derby'.

Chris Martin has sensationally agreed to return to Derby, as his act Coldplay become the opening act at the Melodrome, the first time the group play in the city since an appearance at the Flowerpot in 2001.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

Taken from Wikipedia

Muslims gather for worship at a mosque at noon on "gathering day" (Yawm al-Jumʿah) which corresponds with Friday.

Thus "gathering day" is often regarded as the weekly day off. This is frequently made official, with many Muslim countries adopting Friday and Saturday

Based on this, I'm assuming that the announcement will need to be tomorrow ? As Friday is not a 'business' day

I think Fawaz used that one when the Forest players weren’t paid.............Friday is not a “business” day.

5 hours ago, Bubbles said:

Very exciting news coming in the next 3 days... ? Not trying to be cryptic but can't give anything away. Will just say though that one of the things is the takeover. (Common Knowledge) the other thing isn't a manager... ? 

Yea I heard that too. In fact I know more than you. Not being cryptic you understand

The company I work for does a lot of business with the UAE and if you need something on a Friday you are poo out of luck. They do work Sundays though and often on Saturdays as well. 

I worked in the UAE for 15 years (6 yrs in Abu Dhabi & 9 yrs in Dubai), including contracts with Etihad Airways, and I agree their Friday is our Saturday, and Saturday is our Sunday.

The times I got telephone calls from my senior managers based in the UK or USA who asked why I wasn't at my desk, and on the first occasion I told them that I was on the beach, they went ballistic!!! When I then told them I would respond on Sunday (when they were on the golf course), they got the message.

There's a very funny book called 'Do You Know It's Friday', which is for anyone travelling or doing business in the Gulf countries.

And for anyone doing business in the Gulf, I can assure you it can take years, not months, as a good deal of westerners have found to their dismay. My first contract with Etihad Airways took me 15 months to get all the signatures on the paperwork.

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Right who is betting on Rafa Benitez?

He's currently the favourite.

Personally I can't for the life of me understand how Rafa Benitez would want to come to a club that is bottom of The Championship.

The right amount of money can change most people involved in professional football's outlook towards things.

"I didn't see the job as taking on a club bottom of the championship so much as taking on a large BACS transfer, large enough to convince me that project is going to be successful (for my bank balance)"

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Personally I can't for the life of me understand how Rafa Benitez would want to come to a club that is bottom of The Championship.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it. Published at lunchtime today on the official Rafa blog he actually states that he's travelled back to the UK to visit his family.

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/11/2020/

So the fact that he is in the country and that his family is still living here is probably adding spice to the manager market.

The blog is lengthy but he does a lot of explanation on his team, how they work. He's not coming to Derby but it is an interesting read.

15 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

The company I work for does a lot of business with the UAE and if you need something on a Friday you are poo out of luck. They do work Sundays though and often on Saturdays as well. 

I worked in the UAE for 15 years (6 yrs in Abu Dhabi & 9 yrs in Dubai), including contracts with Etihad Airways, and I agree their Friday is our Saturday, and Saturday is our Sunday.

The times I got telephone calls from my senior managers based in the UK or USA who asked why I wasn't at my desk, and on the first occasion I told them that I was on the beach, they went ballistic!!! When I then told them I would respond on Sunday (when they were on the golf course), they got the message.

There's a very funny book called 'Do You Know It's Friday', which is for anyone travelling or doing business in the Gulf countries.

And for anyone doing business in the Gulf, I can assure you it can take years, not months, as a good deal of westerners have found to their dismay. My first contract with Etihad Airways took me 15 months to get all the signatures on the paperwork.

So what you're saying is "for 48 hours, read 48 months". Am I right?

14 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Rafa turned down a new contract at Newcastle after doing a decent job there and ended up managing a Chinese club, money talks. His family is still based in England too so I think he could definitely be persuaded to come if the right offer is there.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

So what you're saying is "for 48 hours, read 48 months". Am I right?

In my (very) limited of experience of dealing with middle east jobs, I think the phrase "when Allah wills it" as the explaination of when things are going to happen had a certain ring of truth to it.

Went out to Kuwait a few years ago for a project and it is a different business culture, but business still goes on and makes a lot of money i.e. they know what they're doing.

12 minutes ago, Colm said:

Rafa turned down a new contract at Newcastle after doing a decent job there and ended up managing a Chinese club, money talks. His family is still based in England too so I think he could definitely be persuaded to come if the right offer is there.

Agreed money does talk. 

But surely we can't offer him more than what he is on in China?

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agreed money does talk. 

But surely we can't offer him more than what he is on in China?

The only way I can see it is if he is on some sort of huge bonus incentive. 20mill bonus if you get us up and an extra 20mill if you keep us up.