Abu Derby County

tinman

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

A statement that didn't promise anything.

Actually you are incorrect again they stated 

"In order to remove any ongoing speculation, both parties want to assure Derby County’s supporters that the acquisition of the club by Derventio Holdings is on track, with a view to completion before Christmas.

”Both parties will now return to applying their full attention to the completion of the deal and will not be making any further comment.”

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hathersage Ram said:

"In order to remove any ongoing speculation, both parties want to assure Derby County’s supporters that the acquisition of the club by Derventio Holdings is on track, with a view to completion before Christmas.

”Both parties will now return to applying their full attention to the completion of the deal and will not be making any further comment.”

I'm sorry, but how can you interpret that as a promise? "With a view to completion before Christmas." is hardly a guarantee. It's even less of a guarantee than "imminently".

The only thing the club have assured us of is the fact that the takeover is "on track".

3 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

That is not a promise.

Folk seem to be getting their daily takeover moan in earlier and earlier as the days go by. Are they setting reminders on their phones? 

06.00 Get up, those moans won't post themselves
06.05 Morning ablusions - be swift about it too!
06.10 Takeover whinge - select from: still nothing / close thread / slippery Arabs / A.N Other
06.15 Get on with rest of day*

* Further alarms are then set for every 30 minutes up until Midnight to check back on thread and express further disdain at the lack of progress over the previous 29 minutes**

** Rinse, repeat ad nauseam across the entire week with a one hour lie-in on Sundays only.

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Folk seem to be getting their daily takeover moan in earlier and earlier as the days go by. Are they setting reminders on their phones? 

06.10 Takeover whinge - select from: still nothing / close thread / slippery Arabs / A.N Other

* Further alarms are then set for every 30 minutes up until Midnight to check back on thread and express further disdain at the lack of progress over the previous 29 minutes**

** Rinse, repeat ad nauseam across the entire week with a one hour lie-in on Sundays only.

I would combine the morning ablusions with the winge - thus saving 5 minutes

1 hour ago, roboto said:

No one from the club has promised anything, as has been the case all along. Percy wrote "...sources close to the talks insisting it could even be sealed by Wednesday." Could being the important word here.

It's completely immaterial whether or not the club have promised anything. Whether directly or indirectly 'they' (the club, not specifying individuals) have put out the message on more than one occasion that things were close to completion - and by close they didn't mean weeks away, they meant days away - that's the message relayed to fans.

Someone with information on the deal gave the message to Rooney back on 28th November that it should all be completed "in the next few days". The official statement on 15th December said there was a view to get everything wrapped up "by Christmas".  Yes, 'a view', but if realistically you're not 90% certain of it being done, you simply don't put a timescale on it - and if they were 90% certain of it happening in those 10 days it really shouldn't take another 29 days (and counting) before something happens!

The last message they put out (through John Percy & his club sources) is that it could even be completed today... 46 days after they told Rooney that it was 4-6 days away. Maybe he misheard them?

Honestly, how exactly do you expect fans to react? If people are wetting the bed I don't really blame them, at what point are they allowed to be worried?

We're 13 days into a transfer window in which we desperately need to get some players in, we're in the relegation zone, and as far as we know still under an embargo - if it doesn't materialise this week, why should anyone believe it will next week, or the week after?

7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If people are wetting the bed I don't really blame them, at what point are they allowed to be worried?

But what about those 'wetting their beds' several times a day? The really interesting questions are why are they spending their entire day in bed in the first place and who is responsible for washing and drying their sheets? The missus, the au pair, their mums?!!?  I'm way more intrigued by these conundrums than when the deal will close. 

17 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Honestly, how exactly do you expect fans to react? If people are wetting the bed I don't really blame them, at what point are they allowed to be worried?

Worried is fine. I’m a little worried, because it’s clearly taking longer than they anticipated (even putting aside WR’s media
rooster-up)

The objection is that some fans respond to the delay by criticising MM or the new owners. They have absolutely no basis for doing this. And apart from possibly lowering their blood pressure it does no one any good and may even harm the club 

51 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

In these days of hard hitting reality you can't beat starting the day with a really good moan 

11 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

In these days of hard hitting reality you can't beat starting the day with a really good moan 

It's a nice idea but I think some folk tend to peak too early. I tend to save mine up for the moments immediately before I turn in each night. That way, I can bask in gentle misery not only all day, but right through my sleeping hours too, thereby extracting maximum whinge value from each 24 hour period. It's clearly a win-win strategy and one I can heartily recommend.

I also get the added bonus of waking up every day already feeling unsettled and vaguely furious, mostly without even knowing why. That's a feeling that's hard to beat in these most challenging of times.  

Archived