Abu Derby County

tinman

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Not for me, club needs and entirely stripping. Mel’s heart is in the club, but let’s be honest, he’s took us from a club bordering top 2, to bottom of the league. 

This farcical idea of a team full of under 23s also need scrapping!

Who ever said "a team full of U23s"? Mel stated an aim for half the first team to be made up of graduates. Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker have shown themselves to be at least decent squad options at this point. Add a couple more each season and it's steady, sustainable and not sacrificing the ability of the squad.

Ebosele, Archie, JBrown, Trialist, Stretton among others could feasibly step up to be backups over the next 12 months, and we'll pretty much be at that 50% mark.

This thread is turning into the thread I made about Mel's mistakes. There were very few (maybe one) 'mistake' that could be identified as a mistake. The rest of the decisions Mel made at the time, by and large were accepted and agreed upon by the fan base. 

I have to say some of the comments on here surprise me. The amount of time, money and effort Mel has put into this club, both as a businessman and a fan is really disappointing. If I were a wealthy person, I would think twice about investing in the club I support as a fan.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh for goodness sake. No-one in their right mind is going to say 'it's a really crap appointment, live with it'!

How many pubs do you see with signs outside saying 'Crap pub food'?!

There used to be a pub in Birmingham next to the main Pallisades entrance to New St Station with a big sign up outside stating "Try Our Homemade Pies - You'll Never Get Better"

1 hour ago, David said:

The club doesn’t need stripping, we’ve had a poor start to the season no denying that, but there are plenty of games left to turn this season around. 

Just because we are bottom now, doesn’t mean that’s our final destination, start looking at the league table after Christmas.

Following the Pearson disaster, we’ve been to Wembley and was 45 minutes away from making it 2 trips. Not suggesting we will make it that far this year, just that this doesn’t have to be the end.

If it was, and Mel walked away leaving us bottom of the table that would be an incredibly sad and undeserved way to depart.

Becoming self sufficient and bringing through players such as Knight, Sibley and Bird is anything but farcical. 

Nor is keeping 2 men that have been around for a few years now, made mistakes, learnt from them and more importantly know the game. 

The last thing we need is someone new to the game rolling into the town starting from scratch and that was a big concern for me, one that prevented me from getting carried away like others have.

I really hope this is true, best news so far with the takeover. I accept others will disagree, that’s fine, we all have our opinions but as I say, for me this is great news.

You seriously think we can have a full team of u23 players? It’s not feasible, unless you don’t wanna get anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

You seriously think we can have a full team of u23 players? It’s not feasible, unless you don’t wanna get anywhere. 

No I don’t, I do believe though if you put millions into an academy that is winning league titles, playing in Europe they should be given a chance in the first team when they are ready, otherwise what’s the point?

If we had a bunch of Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool U23 players some of our fans would be creaming themselves.

Ask yourself how much would Jason Knight cost in today’s market if we was to go out and sign him?

15 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

This thread is turning into the thread I made about Mel's mistakes. There were very few (maybe one) 'mistake' that could be identified as a mistake. The rest of the decisions Mel made at the time, by and large were accepted and agreed upon by the fan base. 

I have to say some of the comments on here surprise me. The amount of time, money and effort Mel has put into this club, both as a businessman and a fan is really disappointing. If I were a wealthy person, I would think twice about investing in the club I support as a fan.

Football is a results based business. The owner of a football club is under more pressure to secure results than probably any other Captain of Industry. What exactly has Mel achieved over the last 6 years? I take my hat off to him for wanting to invest and give it his very best shot, but on most of the important metrics we are worse off today than we were 6 years ago.

31 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Does anyone actually have any insight in to how much involvement Mel had with transfers? Did he defer to the supposed greater footballing knowledge of the manager, scouting team, coaches, etc. Or did he trawl through Football manager, close his eyes and point at the screen? For me the manager and scouting team should shoulder most of the blame... yes Mel made those appointments so is ultimately responsible but surely he leans on those 'industry specific experts' and opens his cheque book based on their recommendation?

I see this criticism a lot but can we really blame Mel for buying he wrong players?

... genuine question.. 

Mel has had absolutely no involvement. 

He's genuinely just done what a good owner should do: back their manager.

Any issues with recruitment should be directed to the management team, and the recruitment team!

1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

Mels done some good things, especially for the academy etc.. But ultimately the club was at risk of being in serious financial trouble and the only way to fix that was sell our biggest asset to him.

No it wasn’t it was just at risk of breaking FFP rules

1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

The rest of the decisions Mel made at the time, by and large were accepted and agreed upon by the fan base. 

1) That shouldn't be a barometer of whether something was a mistake or not. 

2) The person at the top has all the information when it comes to finances and admin. I think the fans have a right to get excited about big money signings because they trust that it's within our budget and won't result in, for example, the sale of the stadium to get round FFP rules.

3) The person at the top should always be held accountable. His heart is clearly in the right place, but if I were the owner and I'd left the club in a worse state than when I found it (which I believe it is), I wouldn't fall back on the excuse of "I meant well". I would expect reasonable levels of criticism. 

4) It was deemed socially acceptable to say that Cocu was a nice bloke who cared but was ultimately not good enough. Why can't people say the same of Mel without being accused of being ungrateful?

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I know, imagine the outrage. Sacked just because we're bottom of the table - below a team that got points docked. The whole football management game is unfair.

Well it’s well documented I’m a Mel supporter,, on Cocu he’s not covered himself in glory regards selling him a long term project whilst pretty quickly actively seeking to sell the club,,, not great 

Just now, Archied said:

Well it’s well documented I’m a Mel supporter,, on Cocu he’s not covered himself in glory regards selling him a long term project whilst pretty quickly actively seeking to sell the club,,, not great 

I don't have anything bad to say about Mel. He's supported with money and given time to some (maybe not all, and maybe not unlimited time) of the managers he has appointed. I think it's harsh to say he's the root of our failures, or he's the main issue. But I can't hand on heart say he's the solution to our problems. Whatever his intentions are/were, we've found ourselves at the foot of the table and struggling. The long term project I'm fully behind, but I also can see that it's not worked the way Mel wanted. 

Maybe new investment and new ownership will bring the results we all want. Mel's hasn't, that's the harsh fact.