Johnny Russell

DarkFruitsRam7

3 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Christ how far have we fell when we want a 31 year old back on the wing , jesus he wasnt even a proper winger , we just shoved him there , was actually a striker . But he was just workmanlike at best , he is now 31 blimey come on wake up . 

31 if he looks after himself is a fine age to play. Lots of players playing older than that at an elite level. I would take him back if there was an option to. He had the desire and workmanlike attitude we need and quality too. Also we need options.

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

Liked Johnny, had a bit of character.

Better than anything we have replaced him with since (apart from Wilson, who was never ours.) 

But I think we need to be finding our next Johnny Russell rather than trying to get him to replicate his form from six years ago.

Se also Chris Martin, George Thorn etc.

Would you return to the club that made you fall out of love with football??

It was a strong statement for a current player to make and it must have taken a lot to say that out loud so I believe he must have really meant it.

Albeit the people he had issue with are all probably long gone but I just wouldn't take that chance. 

I'd take scrappers like Ward and Russell any day over the 1 good performance in 6 fancy Dan wingers. It's incredible to me that, judging by some of the comments here, people still fail to see what Russell brought to the table and why we were a top 6 team with him instead of a bottom 4 team without.

So, yes, he'd be welcomed back by me. Having said that, there isn't a chance in hell he'll be returning here. If Derby is the best offer he can get at 31 after a very strong spell in the MLS he needs to fire his agent.

Edited by Anon

US Soccer clubs have to publish their players wages every year, here is Johnny Russells salary

Johnny Russell

$1,700,000

$1,700,000

CF

$1.7m per year is on current exchange rates equivalent to £23k a week, my guess is he would come for £18k .week, which would not be outrageous given his ability and his lack of injury record.

Derby fans love a comeback don't they? Must be something in the water to produce such a lack of imagination that watching an average Championship player for 6 years wasn't enough.

Is he the best not-a-winger-but-not-a-striker we could get? Probably not so it's a no from me.

Liked him at the time but move on!

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I personal love him back but stumbling block would be his wages but do think roony would love him at Derby. And he could also like him to play him alongside other young players.

Rooney would say, “Johnny Whoooo?”