Johnny Russell

DarkFruitsRam7

I reckon he has a couple of seasons left. I always liked his effort and commitment. Always unquestionable. And there were more than a few goals to offset his bad days. Best song too. JR could lift the crowd which is a special thing 

All about money I suppose. An interesting addition of experience to our youngish squad maybe. Not wildly excited beyond lots of affection.

7 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

Johnny Russell is out of contract at the end of this MLS season, Sheffield United , Newcastle and Fulham are after him, I think he would love to come back to the Rams, however if my memory serves me well, there are many on here who would have to eat brown and nasty stuff, yes Jimboram and Millenniumram would you start your anti Russell posts again.

Well that’s it then - jimbo ram and millennium ram have spoken! ??? I’d take Russell back in a heartbeat.....just like I’d take Martin, Bryson, keogh, back for a bit of passion. Players who wore their hearts on their sleeves...

But only if JR & MR agree.....?

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Christ how far have we fell when we want a 31 year old back on the wing , jesus he wasnt even a proper winger , we just shoved him there , was actually a striker . But he was just workmanlike at best , he is now 31 blimey come on wake up . 

Quite a long way as it happens.

It won't happen and I always thought Russell lacked the quality in the final third for a team chasing that top two dream.

Fast forward to where we are now and the relative expectations of just trying to build a team capable of competing at this level......and he would do just fine.

The sort of character you need with the young lads too.

With open arms. But he would be returning to a very different club, with more expectation for him to be a saviour on the pitch. When Russell was part of an attacking group, he was brilliant at times. We would need Lawrence and Joe to step up still.

But his desire, work rate and ability are lacking from our squad and I would love to see him in a Rams shirt again

I wouldn't say I was happy to see the back of Russell, but I felt at the time we needed a lot better for where we wanted to be (at that time). I think the opportunity to be a bit of a flat-track bully has helped him get a bit of his confidence back, but ultimately he's still operating with the same hardware so I wouldn't want him back at this point - on inflated wages. 

It would be good to see him back in England - or even Scotland. I'd like to see what he could do in the SPL. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Is there a single Derby fan who didn’t love him? 

I know of plenty, possibly because his form & output dropped off a cliff in 2016/17, dovetailing with Ince's form reaching its peak; there was actually quite a bit of hostility towards Russell from some quarters.

He wasn't actually too bad in 2017/18 but he'd already decided he wanted to leave, so maybe people could see that on the pitch?

Anyway, no, I don't think there's any point in him coming back while we don't set up to make the most of our wide players, and sometimes it's best just to remember the good times and not completely ruin them.

Also I'm surprised he's been linked to Newcastle & Fulham tbh, scoring for fun in the MLS is no guarantee of anything either way.

Edited by Coconut