Jacob Butterfield

Heisenberg

17 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Love that for him, duck off the EFL ara t race and go play in an easy league in a beautiful country. No shame in it, he’ll have a great time.

Who was he playing for last season? Luton? Can’t say I’ve been to Melbourne but I’ve been to Luton and I doubt he’ll miss it.

Edited by Leicester Ram

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Why is it that DCFC is the deathknell for so many players? Of course we paid an absurd fee for Butterfield after our epic recruitment department decreed he was the only possible replacement for an injured Will Hughes, but he was an OK Championship midfielder before signing. 

Not sure it can be put on Derby, he had the chance on loan at Sheff Wed, didn’t take it at all, went to Luton, released which suggested same story.

All went downhill once that weird story hit the tabloids, from the outside for whatever reason looks like he fell out of love with the game. 

Was never a Johnny Russell where you could see the smile gone, but he just doesn’t look bothered.

Going over to Australia and now on trial at Doncaster would suggest otherwise, unless he’s going through the motions to get contracts that pay the bills.

Tough one. Remember when we signed him I thought it was great, remember him at Barnsley, their fans were gutted when he left, likewise at Huddersfield. 

Not sure exactly when it happened but just looked like he lost all confidence

Easy to criticise the recruitment of him but he was excellent in his first season. Would have been more sensible to loan someone but it is what it is, that was club policy at the time iirc

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Not sure exactly when it happened but just looked like he lost all confidence

Easy to criticise the recruitment of him but he was excellent in his first season. Would have been more sensible to loan someone but it is what it is, that was club policy at the time iirc

Probably when Pearson came in.

7 goals and 1 assist (in 2481 mins) in the Clement/Wassall season. 6 goals and 8 assists in 4041 mins at Huddersfield.
Then Pearson came in and tried to shove him out on the wing and got just 1 goal and 2 assists from him in 2985 mins. Then Rowett came in and sent him packing to Sheffield.

5 hours ago, David said:

Not sure it can be put on Derby, he had the chance on loan at Sheff Wed, didn’t take it at all, went to Luton, released which suggested same story.

All went downhill once that weird story hit the tabloids, from the outside for whatever reason looks like he fell out of love with the game. 

Was never a Johnny Russell where you could see the smile gone, but he just doesn’t look bothered.

Going over to Australia and now on trial at Doncaster would suggest otherwise, unless he’s going through the motions to get contracts that pay the bills.

Tough one. Remember when we signed him I thought it was great, remember him at Barnsley, their fans were gutted when he left, likewise at Huddersfield. 

I was quite pleased when they signed Johnson and he was excellent for a month, then wasn't , then did pretty well for Rowett and Lampard, but had seen Butterfield play on three previous occasions and he was as non descript as I thought he would be.

On 03/08/2021 at 20:11, Carl Sagan said:

Why is it that DCFC is the deathknell for so many players? Of course we paid an absurd fee for Butterfield after our epic recruitment department decreed he was the only possible replacement for an injured Will Hughes, but he was an OK Championship midfielder before signing. 

I think it's down to us having a period of signing a lot of players without a clear intention of what to do them combined a lot of turn over in management and switching styles of play drastically and frequently. I think this can see some players take a big hit to their confidence as they can come in as first choice and quickly find themselves not even be in the squad a few months later. Also I do wonder if a combination of regularly switching styles of play/coaching and not playing can cause players to regress in terms of what made them good in the first place. Do they more rapidly lose the edge that they needed to thrive at this level ?

• 11 months later...