Rams defence in 4s and 5s (not sixes and sevens for a change)

sage

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long term four at the back 4141  with bird, sibley and knight. 
short term five at the back in 343 with just Sibley and knight in the engine room. 

please stop hoofing it gentleman. 
we can see now the true role of the ‘holding’ player / playmaker, which is to play out in a controlled manner, so that midfielders and forwards receive the ball to their feet.

(No-one ever asked for sidewards and backwards).

Until Bielik is fit, a back 3 of Wisdom/te Wierik, Davies and Clarke with Byrne and Buchanan as wing-backs.

When Bielik is back a back 4 of Byrne, Wisdom/te Wierik/Davies, Clarke and Buchanan with Bielik playing the 'George Thorne' role... hopefully with more luck injury wise than George! Bielik sitting with Knight and Shinnie just in front should give the right mix in midfield.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am a big Fozzy fan but think Buchanan deserves the shirt at the moment..

Have to agree he’s been very good indeed.  Just switch’s off at times.  The lad can only get better.

Just like Fozzy on his powerful runs .

Do not want to decry anyone and a I say we are well covered defensively.

All about the right balance  

Davies and young Evans have also done well and I see Wisdom as RB   

Just all about team blend really as I think 4 at back is more attacking formation which allows 1 more body in midfield like say Sibley

Depends on the personnel available as we don't have the players to do just one of the other. 

To go back to a back 4 we need Byrne, Buchanan and one of Wisdom/Evans/te Wierik to improve defensively.

To play 5 at the back every game we'll need two additional wing backs to compete with Byrne and Buchanan, as Wisdom and Fozzy don't offer enough going forward.

For some time now, not just this season, our fullbacks haven't been good enough defensively to play 4 at the back. But on the positive side, their strengths have been what they can offer going forwards which suits 5 at the back.  This allows the wide forward players more scope to roam or to overload the opposition fullback.

To be fair, I don’t really mind whether we play with a back 4 or a back 3. Both have their merits. The more important thing is getting the balance right ahead of them in midfield. Personally my favourite formation is 4-3-3 so I’d look to move back to that long term, and therefore return to a 4 at the back. That said, 3-4-3 is also a very good formation, which is similar in a fair few aspects, and has been successful in this division before. Down to Cocu what he thinks is best when everyone is fit I guess.

In terms of personnel, if everyone is fit, and most crucially if everyone is in form, I’d have the following as a back 4:

Byrne Te Weirik Clarke Buchanan

And if we play 5 at the back:

Byrne Te Weirik Bielik Clarke Buchanan 

I think when Bielik's back up to speed, it could allow us to play a hybrid system where his role is split between a DM in front of a back two and a CB in a back three, allowing the team to move between a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-3 during the game
735395963_lineup(2).png.961326b5c96a7e73096e9eb82912fbe1.png1919410481_lineup(4).png.bcdcbc0cfcaaf387ecb7402941e198e9.png
I think it would be in line with what we're seeing at the other end of the pitch, now, with constant movement and positional flexibility within the attacking positions

1 hour ago, sage said:

What are people's views on whether we should play with a back 4 or a back 5 and when everyone is fit, who would you select?

I don’t think any of our central defenders are quite mobile enough or good enough to play in a 4. I also think playing with a back 5 suits Byrne and Buchanan better. Buchanan would worry me immensely in a 4 and I fear Davies/Clarke would get found out for pace against the more mobile forwards. I prefer 4 at the back but for now think we are best suited and more compact with the 5 - as long as Knight and Shinnie are there working hard in front of them. 

Happy with either but current personnel lend themselves better to a 5 than a 4. I don't see a 5 as being an exclusively defensive option anyway, especially with the likes of Byrne and Buchanan on the flanks. I also think that Cocu will mix it up according to the opposition anyway.

At the moment  our defence suits 5 at the back but it is hurting our midfield. Anyone playing 433 with wingers pushed high and wide will cause us real problems though.

Once Beilik is fit and in the team we catch switch between the 343 and 433 without changing personnel, which I think would be a massive boost for Cocu.

Players who deserve the shirt are changing almost every week. I've been anti Shinnie but he's invaluable currently BUT not with another sideways passer next to him.

I've been pro Forsyth but Buchanan coming to the fore more and more.

Longer term I would love to see Bielik and Clarke at the back, but currently I think MTW has been harshly treated. If he is good on the ball, then three Centre backs gives him more protection.

The one thing we absolutely cannot do is play three centre backs and two defensive sideways passing midfielders.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Long term four at the back 4141  with bird, sibley and knight. 
short term five at the back in 343 with just Sibley and knight in the engine room. 

please stop hoofing it gentleman. 
we can see now the true role of the ‘holding’ player / playmaker, which is to play out in a controlled manner, so that midfielders and forwards receive the ball to their feet.

(No-one ever asked for sidewards and backwards).

Five at back if wing back thingy is working and we are not conceding silly goals. Eventually four at back when front men are scoring. When a commentator says that Derby are an attacking team then we have a chance of top six with a belated run.

From what I've seen this season this is the look as the 'default set up' as we kick off. (I've added Bielik in because I genuinely think this is how we'll use him)

121707172_Screenshot2020-10-26at12_40_12.png.bc2b7d103237a886c7f67286cc53e8a7.png

And this is how we look with the ball. One of the two wider CBs push up to the midfield to join as a DM (currently Wisdom and Clarke). Davies and the other CBs shuffle over to create a back 2.

1494479028_Screenshot2020-10-26at12_42_36.png.4abab3bb9d2bb5fbc7bd9424f72e47a3.png

And when we're chasing a goal we look like this. 

687927050_Screenshot2020-10-26at12_47_03.png.ef4ee952bed95ab2f40be1d00a3c9462.png

Archived