Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I thought we were right to stay with 3/5 at the back. We needed the wing backs to push out wide and stop the crosses coming in. 

This is the bit I'm not sure about because I think with how we were set up with the personal out there we lacked a bit of control which allowed Cardiff to have a lot of the ball and hence even they were getting a lot of opportunities to cross by virtue of having the ball.

Personally think a small shift to get an extra man on in midfield to get a foot on it and a shift to a 532 or a 4141 is probably what we should have done.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Spot on mate, absolutely nailed it. Waggy's only had 12 years as a senior after all, so how's he supposed to know he should have squared it to a completely open Jozwiak? 

I know mate,he's a donkey but I'm looking at it from a longer term coaching perspective....we just don't look set up to score well from open play and that's surely down to the coaching over time,not just an individual rooster up.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Ten points behind Rowetball after 8 games.

He’s a better manager at working with what he has, most are in this league, as it’s such an essential skill outside the prem. 

We hired a manager who hasn’t got any experience in doing that. I’d take Rowett over Cocu all day long, he has a system but is aware enough to know it’s limitations. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with the up front comment but that forward line has only played together twice; it's still very early season for them. 

Hopefully it isn't season curtailed for kamil for a while so they can play together again soon.

Mutter....Neil Harris thuggery........

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Started well but dropped back 2nd half and a poor goal to concede.

Awful decision making from Waghorn to not slip Jozwiak in. Awful. Head up and slip him in and he's one on one with the keeper with a big chance for 2-0.

I'm reserving judgement on the subs until I see if they're injured.

Because if Cocu has bought Forsyth on for Byrne and he isn't injured then that beggars belief. 

Te Weirik for Buchanan an all. Why? Its 1-1. Why are we making defensive changes? Get Sibley on? Holmes on? Someone with a bit of drive.

1 goal from open play all season. Absolutely horrendous. 

It's frustrating but it happens especially when a forward is probably lacking match sharpness.

We need to get away from 3 centre halfs playing at home. 

Looking at the way Cardiff play headball I understand the reason to carry on with this formation.

We now have wingers fit so can we please drop a CB for a attacking midfielder and be a little more positive.

Also the Substitution choices tonight were crap and a little unfair on Buchanan who I thought had a good game.  

35 minutes ago, Justa said:

Yep so far awful - no idea what Cocu’s thoughts are behind them 

I thought the subs did well tbh. Forsyth for Byrne as Byrne has been carrying a knock. Fozzie put 2 great balls in, 1 flashed across goal, the other was the punt up to Kazim who then put waggy in for our best chance. 
MTW was tidy in possession and more naturally right sided than Buchanan. Kazim brought on to allow us to go more direct with hold up play and flick ons and did well from what I saw. 

I personally didn’t see any reason to change the shape. The system wasn’t the problem. Not taking our chances and playing the right final ball was the issue

Edited by Dean Saunder’s hat trick
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with the up front comment but that forward line has only played together twice; it's still very early season for them. 

To be honest Ange I think that’s my one real concern, it’s not personnel in the squad or on the bench but we are going to be a side after 10 games looking like we are only 5 games into a season. It’s not anyone’s fault really, a lot of it’s down to a continued misfortune.

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

Wonder who will replace Jozwaik on Saturday? I’d go Waghorn and put Kazim upfront 

My hope is no one as it turns it's a knock he shakes off. You can hope right? 

If not and we are sticking with the same formation I'd probably go for Sibley and either play him as a wide forward or shift to a 352.

Should ve  put the game to bed,but positive performances and played some positive football,would have settled for the point before kick off but a little disapointed we didn't manage the win . Players starting to jell, lawrence waggers  ,joz looked sharp .Hopefully confidence and self belief building amongst the squad and we will continue to improve. Well done lads onwards and upwards.