Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Cocu making some bizarre choices. If Byrne and Buchanan have picked up knocks why not go to 4 rather than a back 5 cobbled together from centre halfs

We needed to put the game beyond doubt in the second half. Should have been looking to Sibley / Holmes but we bring on Te Weirik?

Enough quality in the squad to be in and around the play offs but Cocu’s tactics simply don’t win games.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No point commenting on here I feel. The Cocu inners will say we deserved more and that our overall play was good. The Cocu outers will see it as another performance where we've tried to walk it in to the net, then sat back and tried to keep a clean sheet like we're good at defending. LOL.

Frustrating. It’s so frustrating. 

Think there’s a bit of an over reaction from some on here. Cocu’s (I’ve been critical this season at times) tactics worked. Abysmal decision making in the final third stopped us winning this comfortably. 

You know what though - we go and play Bournemouth next and a few weeks ago I was dreading it but now I’m not because I know if our players make a few better/less selfish choices in the final third we’ve got a chance. 

Awful shame to see Joswiak looking like he’s picked up a bad injury. 

We are moving in the right direction. I thought the subs were slightly disappointing and I’d have liked us to take more of risk, but I feel the pressure if we had lost would perhaps have been a key factor in the thinking. 

Hopefully we are not far from clicking, they may have hit the post twice, but we had many very nearly moments that in another day go in. 

keep the faith!!! 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Which as anyone knows,leads to us either losing or losing our lead.

He needs a kick up the arse by someone when he even looks as though he's about to go defensive in a game.

He seems to be a extremely slow learner,it's frustrating as duck.

To be honest I don't think we went defensive so much as ran out of legs combined not having the right personal on the pitch to keep possession and control. 

Like I'm not convinced by the subs today and think we should have proactively changed things around in midfield. But tactically I don't think there was a deliberate shift.

14 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

byrne off move wisdom to right back and bring on bird move knight to 10. 

The same Bird that was being slated a couple of games ago?

Byrne was carrying a knock, Buchannan was cramping up a few minutes before being subbed and Knight is vital to our midfield.

Just now, angieram said:

Frustrating decision making in final third but we created quite a lot tonight. Struggled as usual with their physicality and some poor refereeing. Thought Lawrence needed to come off earlier and we should have brought some creativity on rather than farting about with the defence. Kazim-Richards looked very useful when he did come on.

Hope Jozwiak is okay, I am just surprised we haven't got more casualties after that mauling.

I would have taken a draw before kick off but feel a bit disappointed by it. That's progress, of sorts.

Exactly that. The last three games we have created lots of openings where a better final ball would see us create excellent chances.

It doesn’t go down as any sort of stat which seems to be the way performances get judged by a few on here but hopefully with more confidence better decisions / a bit more decisiveness will see us right. 

Just frustrating because the only way confidence will come is with more positive results.

I thought we were actually decent after the subs and continued to create. Wing back is a really demanding role and it’ll be a long season so not too fussed about fresh legs there. Easy to forget Fozzy flashed an excellent ball across the 6 yard box.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Frustrating. It’s so frustrating. 

Think there’s a bit of an over reaction from some on here. Cocu’s (I’ve been critical this season at times) tactics worked. Abysmal decision making in the final third stopped us winning this comfortably. 

You know what though - we go and play Bournemouth next and a few weeks ago I was dreading it but now I’m not because I know if our players make a few better/less selfish choices in the final third we’ve got a chance. 

Awful shame to see Joswiak looking like he’s picked up a bad injury. 

That abysmal decision making is a product of the coaching they are recieving though....and if it's not,it should have been resolved by them at moor farm after the number of matches we have played with no goals from open play.

From watching the game, it’ll come. Big one is our decision making in the final third has to be better, spot the runners and time your passes better. We would have been home and dry before they even got into the game.

Like Kazim-Richards a lot, a selfless player who looks to create.

Its still not quite gelling at the back or upfront, but it’s getting better. We are desperate for a goal that’s a team contribution and not individual skill.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People have been making comments on the subs.

Fozzy for Byrne seemedd a sensible sub. We needed height all across the defence and Buchanan has played right wing back for us.

Te Wierik for Buchanan I missed. Was he injured? I think slightly at fault for the goal but it was a well-worked equalizer. Could have been te Wierik for Byrne from the off.

Richards for Lawrence was OK.

The thing I'd have preferred would have been Sibley for Lawrence earlier and then Richards for Waghorn maybe at the end.

But it was an encouraging, attacking performance. We went forward with verve but didn't take our chances. It will come. For the second game in a row it's been a strong performance and we deserved to win the game. If the performances are there, the wins will come.

And one day a ref might even give us something. Then again...

EFL @ GCHQ to Ref @Pride Park's ear piece "DON'T GIVE Derby Oat. That Mel Morris is a right show off. And Candy Crush is poo!". 

Im getting worried that we can't score enough to stay up ?

I thought defensively we looked generally alright apart from their goal. 

Every game we are making bad decisions that are preventing us from having a good strike on ball. I liked some of the attacking play we had but frustrating to see chances for passes to open players fluffed. 

Some of our half chances are poorly struck. We don't seem to be winning balls headed down balls. Can't seem to get good purchase or direction on headed balls. 

It must be really getting to the players now. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Cocu making some bizarre choices. If Byrne and Buchanan have picked up knocks why not go to 4 rather than a back 5 cobbled together from centre halfs

We needed to put the game beyond doubt in the second half. Should have been looking to Sibley / Holmes but we bring on Te Weirik?

Enough quality in the squad to be in and around the play offs but Cocu’s tactics simply don’t win games.

The Byrne sub made sense in that we largely had them contained with how we were playing whilst creating chances on the counter. 

The Buchanan sub I'll grant you that I'm not really sure about.

Archived