I Blame Mel

Rams-in-Spain

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/10/2020 at 16:55, Millenniumram said:

Hate to say it, but I agree with you. At least, I blame Mel and others involved with decision making at the club. Though I’d take a slightly different slant and not put this mess on a load of managerial sackings, as we haven’t had any recently, and I’d instead lay the blame firmly at our poor recruitment strategy. After all, it’s the money blown early on which has us in this FFP mess - not because we spent a lot of money, but because we spent it on players with no resale value. You can see now how bad a mistake that was, and to be fair, Mel has looked to rectify things recently.

However, we’re still making quite a few other mistakes. We’re still selling our young players way too cheaply, and we still seem to be incapable of getting transfers over the line late in the window. Every window teams like Forest reel in massive fees for their players, whilst we sell ours for transfer rates last seen in 2012. It’s no wonder we don’t have any money to spend. And every window seems to end with us having failed to recruit a player in a key position within the team, leaving the manager short for the season. It’s very difficult to have success as a manager in those circumstances. And that’s not even mentioning the absolute mis-match of managerial styles we’ve had in recent years. Every manager wants to rebuild the team because they don’t follow smoothly on from the previous manager. Cocu was meant to play a similar style to Lampard, but he’s absolutely miles off.

We just don’t seem very well run to me. It’s not a nice thing to say, because Mel is a genuine bloke who wants the best for the club, and we must all appreciate that. But for whatever reason, maybe he’s being badly advised, we’ve regressed during his ownership. It’s as simple as that. A slow descent into mediocrity, probably followed by a descent into League One. That’s the only way I can see us going at the moment. We’re crying out for new ideas, and more important, new investment.

2 things here:-

1 - How are you privy to the transfer fees we are receiving?

2 - What exactly are we going to do with new investment?

On 21/10/2020 at 14:28, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Mel's effectively given up on us,he absolutely doesn't want to put any more money into this club unless he has to.

Getting rid of Cocu and replacing him would clearly mean opening his wallet again and he doesn't want to,he wants someone else to fund it.

It's a little bit sad but who can blame him after seeing every decision he makes,management wise,go to ratshit and with no return for him.

The question I'd love to ask Mel is, what is the plan going forward if you dont want to fund the club anymore?

He can't keep taking loans, he is running out of assets to borrow money against, the more debt he takes on the bigger the price an investor or potential owner would have to pay.

I am genuinely concerned at what our future holds, are we basically a club so heavily in debt, with loans tied up against our assets, one of which (the stadium) the club no longer owns, at least on paper.

Would just be nice to know what the plan is, if there is one.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The question I'd love to ask Mel is, what is the plan going forward if you dont want to fund the club anymore?

He can't keep taking loans, he is running out of assets to borrow money against, the more debt he takes on the bigger the price an investor or potential owner would have to pay.

I am genuinely concerned at what our future holds, are we basically a club so heavily in debt, with loans tied up against our assets, one of which (the stadium) the club no longer owns, at least on paper.

When and if you invest 160million pounds of your own money, then I think you are entitled to demand confidential information about Mel's plans.

If I was him I would walk away from such an ungrateful bunch of Bamfords.

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

2 things here:-

1 - How are you privy to the transfer fees we are receiving?

2 - What exactly are we going to do with new investment?

1. Don’t need to be, the media reports are there for all to see. John Percy isn’t a man known for making stuff up.

2. Spend it, of course. Be that on players, or simply helping us survive the COVID crisis. We’re going to struggle with Mel alone, who appears to not want to put much more money in - totally understandably given how much of his personal wealth he’s spent already.

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

1. Don’t need to be, the media reports are there for all to see. John Percy isn’t a man known for making stuff up.

2. Spend it, of course. Be that on players, or simply helping us survive the COVID crisis. We’re going to struggle with Mel alone, who appears to not want to put much more money in - totally understandably given how much of his personal wealth he’s spent already.

I'm not sure that John Percy is known for correctly reporting transfer fees either. Are there any examples of transfer fees he has reported being reflected in our accounts?

Spend more on players while we are struggling to meet P&S limits?

45 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Agreed.

I'm not into questioning the chairman over every decision but I'd be interested to know where we stand as per your comments.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure that John Percy is known for correctly reporting transfer fees either. Are there any examples of transfer fees he has reported being reflected in our accounts?

Spend more on players while we are struggling to meet P&S limits?

No idea, but a lot of other things he’s said have been proven correct. More than enough to suggest he’s got reliable contacts here.

Are we still struggling to meet FFP? I’ve not seen anything to suggest that’s the case, but maybe I’ve missed something. We were charged for breaching FFP in 2017/18, a lot has changed since then. The wage bill has been cut drastically and we’ve made a substantial transfer profit this summer. I’d be surprised if we were still that close to the limit, especially if the limit is made more lenient to account for COVID.

53 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

When and if you invest 160million pounds of your own money, then I think you are entitled to demand confidential information about Mel's plans.

I'd hand the club to SISU and tell them to do their worst.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:
On 21/10/2020 at 14:28, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Is their a direct quote from Mel stating that he didn't want to fund us anymore?

I've heard him say that he would welcome investment from the right people or would consider selling everything to the right people if they had the funds to take the club forward.

But I can't ever remember him saying that he didn't want to put anymore money into the club.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No idea, but a lot of other things he’s said have been proven correct. More than enough to suggest he’s got reliable contacts here.

Are we still struggling to meet FFP? I’ve not seen anything to suggest that’s the case, but maybe I’ve missed something. We were charged for breaching FFP in 2017/18, a lot has changed since then. The wage bill has been cut drastically and we’ve made a substantial transfer profit this summer. I’d be surprised if we were still that close to the limit, especially if the limit is made more lenient to account for COVID.

Yeah you may be right about us being ok from an FFP perspective these days.

Not sure how we are making a substantial profit by supposedly selling our players on the cheap though? ?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah you may be right about us being ok from an FFP perspective these days.

Not sure how we are making a substantial profit by supposedly selling our players on the cheap though? ?

Because we haven’t had any substantial outgoings. 3m for Jozwiak was the only major money we spent. By my calculations, that leaves us 11-3=8m. Probably about 7m profit then, taking into account nominal fees for Marshall, Byrne and a loan fee for Clarke. If that leaves us in FFP bother then we must still have a serious wage problem!

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Because we haven’t had any substantial outgoings. 3m for Jozwiak was the only major money we spent. By my calculations, that leaves us 11-3=8m. Probably about 7m profit then, taking into account nominal fees for Marshall, Byrne and a loan fee for Clarke. If that leaves us in FFP bother then we must still have a serious wage problem!

So we were getting substantial fees for the youngsters we are selling then ?

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Plus maybe some significant writeoffs.  Not sure on the dates but I imagine Anya will be damaging, not sure what we did with BJ with that extension?

12 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

I pay 430 quid a season for a season ticket, I've opted to still pay for a season ticket during current circumstances, even with the wife insisting we need that money. In normal circumstances i would attend at least a handful of away games a season, as well as buy shirts and merchandise.

I'm not someone who thinks by doing the above I am an investor, but I also dont think i need to invest 160 million to find out what state the club is in and what our future holds. During rosier times with Frank in charge Mel was holding forums every 3 months, things werent so 'confidential'.

By the way, I'm not questioning Mel, or his ownership of the club, I would just like to know what happens in a couple of years if no one has bought the club, there are no more loans to take, no assets to loan against, what would be the end game? 

Archived