Can we score more than the opponents?

KBRam

The rule of good management historically used to be if our forwards are better than theirs who cares if win win 5 - 3. Liaising 1 nil in most games suggest the best we will get is points from 0-0 draws!  Can’t believe we didn’t put the trial it’s on for the whole of the second half. Where are our goals coming from?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t know about anyone else, but I pretty much gave up hope as soon as Huddersfield scored one yesterday. That says everything about our current attacking threat, and the way we play football. We don’t even look like scoring really. Two main reasons I can see for that. The poor recruitment - the failure to sign a decent striker is absolutely criminal, and will hinder us all season. And the negative style of the manager - lining up with 7 defensive players every week is not going to yield results. Cocu has to be braver, or we will limp to relegation.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but I pretty much gave up hope as soon as Huddersfield scored one yesterday. That says everything about our current attacking threat, and the way we play football. We don’t even look like scoring really. Two main reasons I can see for that. The poor recruitment - the failure to sign a decent striker is absolutely criminal, and will hinder us all season. And the negative style of the manager - lining up with 7 defensive players every week is not going to yield results. Cocu has to be braver, or we will limp to relegation.

The lining up was brought in after a 0-4 humiliation. When the demands were for shoring up the back line because....

A. We had no combination of 2 cbs who looked remotely solid and

B. Our full backs needed to be released to go forwards, which was perceived as their strength. 

So its not 7 defensive players it's 3cbs, plus 2 screening in midfield.

So having addressed the "too easy to play through " challenge we're now too negative?

53 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The lining up was brought in after a 0-4 humiliation. When the demands were for shoring up the back line because....

A. We had no combination of 2 cbs who looked remotely solid and

B. Our full backs needed to be released to go forwards, which was perceived as their strength. 

So its not 7 defensive players it's 3cbs, plus 2 screening in midfield.

So having addressed the "too easy to play through " challenge we're now too negative?

I understand that. The thing is, I don’t think the poor defensive performance against Blackburn was anything to do with the formation. After all, we were playing two defensive mids, it was hardly all out attack!

The problems we had that day were more to do with our defensive organisation, and the individuals selected in defensive roles. Those would have been problems no matter what formation we selected. Wisdom and Te Weirik was always going to be a car crash partnership, because they’re both fairly short, ball playing centre backs. Without Clarke we don’t have anyone who can do the defensive basics right. And Bird with Rooney as a midfield two is too slow, and doesn’t provide enough of a shield for the defence. Whilst the formation change worked against Norwich, I think we could also have fixed the issues with work on the training ground and a personnel switch, without resorting to changing our system. That may have been better long term.

FWIW I don’t have a problem with 3 at the back. It’s the playing two defensive mids in front still that annoys me. It’s too negative, and leaves you with no one to carry the ball through midfield. You can’t hope to score goals without anyone in midfield to create them. If you play 3 at the back you simply have to play at least one ball carrier, such as Holmes or Knight, in CM. Or you simply won’t succeed. 

I'm stirring the pot abit but for me anyone who thinks are recruitment in the summer was good is either Brain Dead or seriously deluded, as Millennium Ram says, failing to sign a decent striker was criminal irregardless of any other half decent signings. Your striker in a loan striker formation is the joint most important player with the goalkeeper also being very important. 

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'm stirring the pot a bit but for me anyone who thinks are recruitment in the summer was good is either Brain Dead or seriously deluded, as Millennium Ram says, failing to sign a decent striker was criminal regardless of any other half decent signings. Your striker in a loan striker formation is the joint most important player with the goalkeeper also being very important. 

Whilst the striker issue is indisputable, I think the recruitment team do deserve some credit for signing (1) Byrne, who appears to be every bit as good as Bogle at a tenth of the price; (2) Marshall, who has impressed me greatly since he has been here; and (3) Jozwiak, who is already good and will get better as he settles in. Ibe and Duncan are still to be seen, but I am optimistic about both of them. Not sure about CKR, but happy to wait and see.

With everyone fit and firing, we have a quality side, despite what the panic-merchants would have you believe. Keep the faith, get behind the lads and watch us climb the league.

Just now, OohMartWright said:

Whilst the striker issue is indisputable, I think the recruitment team do deserve some credit for signing (1) Byrne, who appears to be every bit as good as Bogle at a tenth of the price; (2) Marshall, who has impressed me greatly since he has been here; and (3) Jozwiak, who is already good and will get better as he settles in. Ibe and Duncan are still to be seen, but I am optimistic about both of them. Not sure about CKR, but happy to wait and see.

With everyone fit and firing, we have a quality side, despite what the panic-merchants would have you believe. Keep the faith, get behind the lads and watch us climb the league.

Hutchinson looks promising too.

but.....

the priority was centre forward and centre half.  Epic fail.

Archived