Chris Martin to Bristol City: Has he scored a league goal yet?

Just now, David said:

Hard to say, hasn’t had the game time Martin had to score those goals. Martin in his prime was better, but today, 2020 CKR would be ahead of him on the team sheet all day long.

Not just Martin in his prime, just last season Martin hit 10 for us and was involved in pretty much all the good things we did. CKR would have to have a storming second half of the season to surpass that.

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Chris Martin got 10 league goals for us last season. I'd happily wager that CKR doesn't surpass that tally. For the record, I quite rate CKR and I think he's pretty good, but his role is pretty much the same as Martin's and he's not as good at is as Chrissy was

That bit I've highlighted.  Absolutely nailed it!

I'm on record as saying I thought we were right to move on from Martin so I'm certainly not part of the @RoyMac5 love-in clique for Chris, but to be fair to him last night (based on the incredibly dull 30 minutes I managed to endure), Bristol City were just not creating anything for the forwards - a few hopeful crosses over their heads and balls pinged into the forwards when they've got a defender stuck up their chuff isn't giving them much of  a chance. In addition, Wells and Martin simply don't  complement each other as a front two - we all know that Martin needs runners around him, but Wells is frequently 10-15 yards away and there's no-one from the midfield busting a gut to get up with them.....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Bristol City were just not creating anything for the forwards - a few hopeful crosses over their heads and balls pinged into the forwards when they've got a defender stuck up their chuff isn't giving them much of  a chance.

I think earlier in the season this wasn't a problem, because Martin was fitter, more mobile & would drop into space better, decreasing the amount go time he spent with an opponent up his chuff (Iovely image, thanks!)

I'm not saying I was 100% right because I'm not a fan of confirmation bias, but it does look from the outside & from reading the posts pasted here that my prophecy is coming true! I'm blowing my own trumpet like a complete nob, but FWIW here's an amalgamation of what I said last season / over the summer

We offered him what we thought was right taking into consideration multiple factors including how much game time he was likely to receive.

Martin hasn't 'suddenly' deteorated because he's in his 30's, no, he has slowly deteriorated due to both age illness though - despite this he's still a very capable Championship footballer but he becomes a lot less effective the more he plays and any contract handed to him has to represent the fact that you can no longer play him week in, week out over a 46 game season and expect him to keep the standard of play up.

He tires massively after an hour or so and becomes much less effective, misplaces more passes, gets tackled more easily and is more easily marked out of the game in open play.

It's been noticeable recently that in the first half of games he's been popping up all over the pitch to make those little layoffs (think when he set Lawrence away from near our own corner flag against Brentford) but as the game goes on he stays upfront more and can't get in the game.

Yeah he needs more support from the midfield, we need to get the ball to him more often and get close to him, as has always been the case, but we can't just pretend that he hasn't become less mobile and that it isn't a problem in itself when he does tire.

A replacement could only be 80% as good as Martin, but if an 80% Martin was available and effective for 80% of 90% our games that's better than a 90% Chris Martin only able to be effective for 75% of 60% of our games.. ...or something ...maybe

Chris has colitis. Under Cocu, his illness, which can be quite debilitating, was well managed. He was used sparingly and as often as not, he played pretty well. Chris chose to leave Derby and went to a club who clearly don't realise that he can't play every game in a normal season, let alone one that is as compressed as this one. Presumably they offered him what we didn't so now he has to make the best of it.

It's a shame as I don't think the move has benefitted either Chris or Derby and I also think Chris would have loved playing in a side with the likes of Bielik, Jozzy and Ibe to supply the bullets. Very much a case of the grass not always being greener IMO. Time for all parties to move on maybe?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
On 19/12/2020 at 10:23, Gaspode said:

Bristol City were just not creating anything for the forwards - a few hopeful crosses over their heads and balls pinged into the forwards when they've got a defender stuck up their chuff isn't giving them much of  a chance. In addition, Wells and Martin simply don't  complement each other as a front two

Well isn't that the point of it - early in the season they had Weimann and Paterson, they've got neither at the minute. Nothing to do with his health. Imagine we lost Hughes and Bryson. Martin is the same player, as always, but as any striker does (even Colin!) they have to have support. Well's is a good player but he's not getting chances made for him either. 

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well isn't that the point of it - early in the season they had Weimann and Paterson, they've got neither at the minute. Nothing to do with his health. Imagine we lost Hughes and Bryson. Martin is the same player, as always, but as any striker does (even Colin!) they have to have support. Well's is a good player but he's not getting chances made for him either. 

Where did I link his lack of goals to his health? Anyway Merry Christmas you grumpy old fecker 🤪

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Where did I link his lack of goals to his health? Anyway Merry Christmas you grumpy old fecker 🤪

Not you mate that was the post below yours - you can't expect double-quoting on Christmas Eve ya pernickety old sod! 😄 Merry Christmas to you too, and a Happy Boxing Day to us all! #COYR

On 24/12/2020 at 22:33, 86 Hair Islands said:

Chris has colitis. Under Cocu, his illness, which can be quite debilitating, was well managed. He was used sparingly and as often as not, he played pretty well. Chris chose to leave Derby and went to a club who clearly don't realise that he can't play every game in a normal season, let alone one that is as compressed as this one. Presumably they offered him what we didn't so now he has to make the best of it.

It's a shame as I don't think the move has benefitted either Chris or Derby and I also think Chris would have loved playing in a side with the likes of Bielik, Jozzy and Ibe to supply the bullets. Very much a case of the grass not always being greener IMO. Time for all parties to move on maybe?

Absolutely not........spiteful vindictiveness, dragging up ancient off-the-cuff comments to prove a tenuous point is the oxygen of this forum......🤣

The day I "move on", they'll be carting me off in a long box and I'll still be griping...... 😘

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...