We are part way through a major squad rebuild with no money

IslandExile

5 losses in 6 games & the run at the end of last season is totally unacceptable. 

All the excuses with the drink driving, the squad cutting im not bothered. It might be a bad hand but you play with what you are dealt  & do the best with what you are dealt. Is he really doing the best with what we have? In my opinion no so he is massively failing. We supposedly have players that are better then the position we are in

I think we'd do better just setting up better & having a man manager that will get the play looking like they will run through walls for him. 

I dont see him turning it around 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I came on here at half time to see mostly positive posts about the best half of football we've played this season. Good flowing, attacking football.

Wolves play free flowing football, Leeds do, Brentford do, we on the other hand don't I'm afraid and the football was just like most of the time, was slow and pedestrian. Have our standards dropped so damn low to consider that first half free flowing football?

How many rebuilds are we going to go through? When will we be built? He's had a full year.

No money? Ibe is going to be on serious bags, why haven't we spent that money on our no.1 striker target? It was a vital area we needed to strengthen.

How long can we expect to flirt with relegation and write it off as a rebuild job? Answer me that please?

I'm usually well against sacking a manager this early on, but we've got to say he is only a few games away from the chop. Its looking dire. We need inspiration fast or we are going down. I know we don't think it will happen to us, but you're never too big to go down. The evidence is stacking on us that we are relegation candidates right now. Wycombe and Barnsley are poor and that helps, but Wednesday are gaining ground fast and won't be long before they leapfrog us.

Please, please start to take this situation seriously.

9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

We couldn't afford to offer Martin more and we cannot afford 8 million for a replacement.

Selling Bogle and Lowe allowed us to bring in the much needed Joswiak and the other signings. Otherwise, we could not have done 

You state these as FACTS, but you know neither for sure. Perhaps they saw the way that things were going with Cocu and decided to take the money and a new challenge! Couldn’t blame them. Was that the best we could have expected from last nights squad? How many shots on target, the general standard of play?

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

He's had a full year.

And in that year, he's had:

Drink driving incident which led to his captain being sacked.
Season ending injury to our record, star signing. 
EFL Charge.
Soft transfer embargo.
Covid.
Complete mess behind the scenes.

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

And in that year, he's had:

Drink driving incident which led to his captain being sacked.
Season ending injury to our record, star signing. 
EFL Charge.
Soft transfer embargo.
Covid.
Complete mess behind the scenes.

And in that year he’s had a replacement for Keogh

Had other players look like star signings, when our paid for one didn’t particularly pre-injury.

EFL charged other teams too, ditto transfer ‘soft embargo’ - not no signings.

Covid - just us?

Mess behind the scenes? - just us? He’s had a year and a bit. 

Do we really look like we have a plan? Or that the plan is effective? It seems more like it will be down to chance if Cocu finds a way of playing!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And in that year he’s had a replacement for Keogh

Had no proper replacement until this season due to embargo.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

when our paid for one didn’t particularly pre-injury.

Sorry but Bielik was our best player in the first half of the season. Most dominant defensive midfielder in the league by a long shot.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

EFL charged other teams too, ditto transfer ‘soft embargo’ - not no signings.

Soft embargo = one in one out. What other clubs?

1 hour ago, DanS1992 said:

Wolves play free flowing football, Leeds do, Brentford do, we on the other hand don't I'm afraid and the football was just like most of the time, was slow and pedestrian. Have our standards dropped so damn low to consider that first half free flowing football?

I agree that I wouldn't call even our first half 'free flowing' football.

But

It was high intensity, high press, we caused the opposition to make mistakes, there were some quick passing exchanges which got us up the field well, and we worked a number advantageous positions where the only thing missing was the final pass or a better shot.

Free flowing is more subjective, but the above is literally a fact. Nothing to do with 'standards' just objective viewing.

To claim our play in the first half was slow and pedestrian is a nonsense.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

But

It was high intensity, high press, we caused the opposition to make mistakes, there were some quick passing exchanges which got usnuo the field.well, and we worked a number advantageous positions where the only thing missing was the final pass or a better shot.

Are you so unused to seeing good football that you think the first half was actually any good? We looked like a newly promoted team trying to match the opposition or a team looking like the shadow of relegation was on them! There was one really decent piece of football played, by them for the goal. 

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are you so unused to seeing good football that you think the first half was actually any good? We looked like a newly promoted team trying to match the opposition or a team looking like the shadow of relegation was on them! There was one really decent piece of football played, by them for the goal. 

Exactly the sort of crap I identified the other day - I'll happily talk about how poor the second half was, and how we lack any sort of cutting edge, that taking Shinnie off was a mistake etc, but I'm not going to pretend the entire performance was poo when it objectively wasn't.

Just because you're not happy and you don't want the manager here anymore doesn't mean you have to be a one-eyed, negative tosspot who refuses to acknowledge positive play when it happens.

9 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Just because you're not happy and you don't want the manager here anymore doesn't mean you have to be a one-eyed, negative tosspot who refuses to acknowledge positive play when it happens.

And just because someone else recognises when good football or a vague approximation is being played and disagrees with your opinion doesn’t mean you have to be such an unpleasant poster. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And just because someone else recognises when good football or a vague approximation is being played and disagrees with your opinion doesn’t mean you have to be such an unpleasant poster. 

Completely missing the point again, but whatever. Like I expected anything different.

I'll be pleasant to people who warrant it. I could think of far worse things to call you than a negative tosspot, believe me.

Just now, Coconut said:

Completely missing the point again, but whatever. Like I expected anything different.

To me your point was overshadowed by your personal insults. Why on earth would I think you could put a cogent argument together when you rely on rudeness?

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To me your point was overshadowed by your personal insults. Why on earth would I think you could put a cogent argument together when you rely on rudeness?

Yawn

Classic WUM get out clause

Attempt to ridicule a poster & their opinion with a snidey comments, cry wolf when you get something as low-key as tosspot back and claim the high ground

You had no interest in my 'point' to begin with.

17 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

For me we should have offered Martin 40k a week and 2 years +an option of another year if that is what it needed, to get a player in of his quality we would have to spend 8+million in this market.  Also Selling Bogle and Lowe and not fully reinvesting the money was very disappointing, but maybe understandable e due to Covid. I agree we shouldn't be doing as badly as we are but sometimes small margins can make a big difference and maybe those departures and Lowe going turned the tide against our chances. 

It’s an opinion but where it falls down is we couldn’t sell Martin for 8 Plus million ,,, hmmmmm it’s a puzzle ?,,, and no big que to sign a free 8 plus million player again hmmmm ,,, we could have done with him staying but ffs let’s get real life here

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s an opinion but where it falls down is we couldn’t sell Martin for 8 Plus million ,,, hmmmmm it’s a puzzle ?,,, and no big que to sign a free 8 plus million player again hmmmm ,,, we could have done with him staying but ffs let’s get real life here

Rowett did put a figure on Martin,7.5 million as I recall which Fulham were looking to take up.

Poor old Martin decided to come back to Derby instead.

I'd like to know what value bristol city or his new scoring fans there, would now put on him as he's had a hand in just about every goal they have scored this year,up to now.

We however,have yet to have a striker score more than one goal,or indeed assist in the only other other one (I can't count Rooney as a striker anymore)

Put a value on that.

Archived