IslandExile

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Paul Cook not for me 

I’d go balls out for big Dave Wagner 

Can’t imagine he’s the answer.

Unless the question was: “what manager presided over the longest winless run in the Bundesliga last season?” You’d have got it right if so.

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

For me we should have offered Martin 40k a week and 2 years +an option of another year if that is what it needed, to get a player in of his quality we would have to spend 8+million in this market.  Also Selling Bogle and Lowe and not fully reinvesting the money was very disappointing, but maybe understandable e due to Covid. I agree we shouldn't be doing as badly as we are but sometimes small margins can make a big difference and maybe those departures and Lowe going turned the tide against our chances. 

We couldn't afford to offer Martin more and we cannot afford 8 million for a replacement.

Selling Bogle and Lowe allowed us to bring in the much needed Joswiak and the other signings. Otherwise, we could not have done that.

Any extra money would've gone towards running costs, given there's no gate receipts and Mel is pulling the plug. It's not available for "reinvesting".

Clearly you've never had to carefully manage a financial budget - and I'm glad for you - but the club we both support is "financially constrained", as are many clubs below the Premier League.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Can’t imagine he’s the answer.

Unless the question was: “what manager presided over the longest winless run in the Bundesliga last season?” You’d have got it right if so.

Promoted Huddersfield in his first season and then kept them in the premier league

has done more in 3 seasons in English football than any Derby manager since Jim Smith. .  .

I appreciate the sentiment of the thread, but I think it’s detached from the reality of this division.

The Championship is the least safest place for a rebuild. It waits for no-one. One poor appointment, one poor transfer window, a streak of bad luck or bad decisions, and a previously strong and stable club can look on very fragile ground and look like being left behind.

There is already evidence of this - in the corresponding four fixtures last season, we picked up 9 points from 12. This season, 0 from 12. Worrying signs already that we are going backwards.

How many clubs have thought: “It’s OK. We’re X. We’ll turn things around”? 

But things didn’t get better and they ended up in League One or periously close. Leeds, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Sunderland, and even last season there was Hull - these are all good examples of clubs who couldn’t turn the tide.

It’s all very well saying that it’s a long term plan and things will pick up when players like Ibe, Bielik, Lawrence, Sibley and Waghorn are fit and firing. That may be the case and we’ll all be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

But what if nothing changes?

I am not saying we are going down, but it’s the kind of start some teams simply don’t recover from. Personally I don’t think we can afford to relax and rest on our laurels.

When you are in a rut like we are with a manager who is struggling to come up with the answers, there is no easy way out.

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

We’ll see

Got to be honest I’m not confident about us getting a result but I can dream. 

Look mate if MM sacks Cocu I would still back the Rams whatever. 

Mel runs the club and he makes the decisions.

We are just fans at the end of the day 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Got to be honest I’m not confident about us getting a result but I can dream. 

Look mate if MM sacks Cocu I would still back the Rams whatever. 

Mel runs the club and he makes the decisions.

We are just fans at the end of the day 

Agreed, come on you rams

I think that Cocu has a genuine reason not to be in the top 2, but he has no excuse for failing so spectacularly. 

He inherited numerous players who have commanded large fees previously and been part of successful teams. He has been very lucky to be able to bring in a right back and keeper for peanuts, when in normal circumstances they would have cost millions. He's paid a decent fee for a Polish international and loaned in a £10m centre half. Knight is now a full international, Sibley is apparently too expensive for any team to afford and our other youngsters are keeping established players out of the side. We've also got England's record scorer. Although he's been out for a while, Cocu also bought our club's most expensive ever player. 

Maybe we're not shopping at Harrods, but we're getting Kwik Save results from a Sainsburys budget.

Just now, Derbados said:

Agreed, come on you rams

Us Derby fan all want us to win Saturday despite our differences.

After tonight I thought well if Cocu gets sacked he will have only had himself to blame no one else even if he has been dealt a bad hand. 

13 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Promoted Huddersfield in his first season and then kept them in the premier league

has done more in 3 seasons in English football than any Derby manager since Jim Smith. .  .

With negative goal difference and got them back to square one. He was awful. 

The team set up was ok. We played well in the first half. Could have scored two or three, and were definitely ahead on points at half time.

we came out a bit flat in the second half and couldn’t get it going again. They got in behind wisdom and scored a good goal, but overall we deserved a point.....again.

The only thing I learned was that max bird couldn’t step up when required for some reason. 

Regardless of all the problems we've had, I'd still expect more than two goals and five losses in six league games with what we have had available. 

Counting our cup games, we've scored three goals in eight games and one of those was against Barrow. We also didn't score in our last three preseason friendlies - that's three goals in eleven games or a goal every 330 minutes of football since we kicked off against Doncaster.

If you are not worried, I really wish I had your optimism.

I'll say again that I like Cocu, he seems like a really good guy and he's obviously had lots of success in his playing career and elsewhere as a manager. But his tenure so far has seen us play dull football that hasn't yielded great results.  

If time is what he needs, that's fine, but we need to see something to inspire a bit of hope. The Norwich game was better but, if we're being totally honest with ourselves, we got incredibly lucky! A freak penalty miss, Marshall keeping out a couple of certain goals, the last ditch tackle from Bryne, then Rooney hitting a worldie of a free kick...a point would have been lucky, never mind a win. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been quite impressed by JHI when he's come on this season. How on earth we can justify leaving him on the bench and playing without a striker on the pitch at the moment?

All this feels like a manager trying to scrape a point here and there to save his job. Not someone who is instilling an ethos at the club and sticking to it even in the wake of poor results. That's what worries me most.

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

What you think we have no injuries and we aren’t skint and we haven’t been on an FA charge with soft embargo and MM didn’t want to play 5 Academy players and wouldn’t fund CM and TH contracts.  Oh wait a minute it’s all Cocus fault. 

The tedious negative uninspiring style of football we play is entirely down to Cocu - that’s the one thing he can change but doesn’t.

Like any argument invariably the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Am sure a lot of posters accept your points over a rebuild in parentheses, I don't believe though that our current league position and performances/style of play are a reflection of the players whom Cocu has and has had last season at his disposal when this malaise set in.

Completely agree with the OP.

People point to only scoring two, with one win. Yes, on paper it looks shocking. But we haven't had fit strikers (Rooney is not a ST anymore) and we've had no creativity until Jozwiak and Lawrence came into the side. We've got Waghorn in the wings now, and Ibe and Duncan gathering fitness and Bielik coming back within a month or so. 

These (other than the untried Duncan) are HUGE players. Any team missing pretty much their entire front line will struggle. How could we expect anything less? 

The issue now is improving morale. I do worry about Cocus ability to get this team going when its struggling. We're playing better football, but heads go and stay down when we concede. That's when we need leaders to support the effort. Rooney doesn't seem to be that when times are tough and the only other leader out there is Davies. Let's hope CKR can help things...

Archived