We are part way through a major squad rebuild with no money

IslandExile

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

To be fair,our lack of striking options is partly because of the club's actions apart from Waggers injuries so I see it as mainly self induced.

Mac's issues were entirely injury related.

So just to clarify, Mac gets a pass for having poor cover when Bent + Martin were injured and we were minted as a club but Cocu doesn't get one for having Waghorn, Rooney and CKR all unavailable while we're skint?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

So just to clarify, Mac gets a pass for having poor cover when Bent + Martin were injured and we were minted as a club but Cocu doesn't get one for us being skint while having Waghorn, Rooney and CKR all unavailable?

Minted?

We were still under the Americans and I don't recall Mac paying much for anybody.

And Mac gets a pass everytime for the football we played week in,week out.

Even when we lost it was never boring.

19 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Minted?

We were still under the Americans and I don't recall Mac paying much for anybody.

And Mac gets a pass everytime for the football we played week in,week out.

Even when we lost it was never boring.

I was wrong, we threw some cash around on Thorne, Albentosa and Christie but not as much as I remember. We brought in some very big loans too which must have cost a fair chunk but we'll never know.

I loved Mac but you're definitely remembering the end of his first tenure very generously. Chesterfield in the cup was dreadful for starters and there were plenty of games towards the end of the 14/15 season that were painful, Reading standing out.

This is besides the point anyway. The point is you're willing to excuse Mac for having inadequate cover in the striker position yet not willing to extend that same courtesy to Cocu, who has had so many more obstacles thrown his way. I understand you probably rightly have issues with the man at the moment, that's understandable but I think having a pop at him for our striker issues then excusing Mac in the same sentence isn't fair at all.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

I didn't say it was an impossible job.

Implausible, perhaps, to expect progress in the circumstances and understandable (to a degree) why we've seen a regression.

Well if the articles released by the tabloids in recent weeks happen to be true, then Cocu has had much more to contend with than even we realised.

-Mel being hands on and putting the squeeze on Cocu

-Two of his coaching staff gunning for his job

-Rooney and Cocu having a power struggle

-Rooney's influence in the dressing room working against Cocu

If any of that is true, that will definitely change perceptions of Cocu and his working environment and underline why we have struggled so much. In fighting and power plays can be much more damaging than the other mitigating circumstances offered up.

Reading the article, it all sounds unhelpful in the extreme and would probably put the microscope on Mel, Rooney and the players and the part they are playing.

It's just sad that seemingly we're the architects of our own downfall once again. It wouldn't be so bad if the opposition had to work hard to beat us, it seems like we are defeating ourselves at the minute. If there's no harmony and no united front, we have no chance of getting results and we've lost even before we step onto the pitch.

• 1 month later...

I've started thinking that the squad is once again too big, but this time, too many are squad fillers at best.

We have 29 first team players (5 out on loan plus Marriott) with at least 7 U23s (plus 1 out on loan) who will be pushing for a go as well.

Goalkeepers (5): Marshall, Roos, Carson, Ravas, Mitchell
Defenders (9): Davies, Clarke, Evans, te Wierik, Wisdom, Byrne, Forsyth, Buchanan, Malone
U23 Defenders (3): McDonald, Ebosele, Archie
Midfielders (6): Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Holmes, Shinnie
U23 Midfielders (1): JBrown
Wingers (5): Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, Whittaker, Jozefzoon
U23 Wingers (1): Mitchell-Lawson
Forwards (4): Waghorn, Rooney, Kazim, Marriott
U23 Forwards (3): Trialist, Stretton, Duncan

The end of the season can't come soon enough. Carson, Ravas, Mitchell, Wisdom, Davies, Clarke, Malone, Holmes, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Rooney and Kazim all set to leave as things stand. Mitchell-Lawson and Trialist too if I remember correctly.
I'd already exclude any of those who won't be signing extensions and build my squad around who's left.

Goalkeepers: Marshall, Roos
Defenders: Byrne, Ebosele, te Wierik, Evans, Forsyth, Buchanan, Archie (and McDonald as backup)
Midfielders: Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, JBrown
Wingers: Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe, Whittaker
Forwards: Marriott, Stretton, Duncan

We aren't going up so may as well start building for next season.

Archived