We are part way through a major squad rebuild with no money

IslandExile

I came on here at half time to see mostly positive posts about the best half of football we've played this season. Good flowing, attacking football. I posted that I feared it would all be forgotten if Huddersfield clagged a goal. In fairness, it was a good breakaway from their viewpoint. But anyway, the predictable meltdown then ensues.

We get new "Cocu out" threads - why not use the existing ones? Is the thinking the more threads, the more pressure on Mel?

Then, we get the suggestion of McCarthy or Pullis as a new manager. I hope to god that was a joke but then some of the other suggestions make me wonder.

I think what has upset me the most tonight is that a fair minded poster, that I respect enormously, even queried leaving Waghorn and Kazim-Richards on the bench. They are not yet match fit. Lawrence is only just coming back and it was probable that he wouldn't make it through the whole game. It would've been daft to start with two less-than-fully-fit players.

But, in the rush to dig at Cocu, someone even asked why he isn't playing Sibley. Because he's injured. Do you guys want unfit/injured players in the team?

But that made me wonder, how many posters are either not following details like injuries, transfer embargoes etc. I know most people are but when you see comments like that....

So, to sack Cocu now, part way through this rebuild project - in my opinion - would be harsh on him and bad in the long run for our great club.

After years of expensive but failed attempts to get back in the top flight, Cocu is embarking on a long term project. Mel hired him to do that because Cocu promotes youth.

Of course, the academy players need time to develop. It also helps to supplement those academy players with experienced and quality players.

It's difficult to do that when the budget is effectively zero. So Cocu has had to shift out the high earners, some of which I'm sure he'd like to have kept (well Martin) and bring in bargains such as Byrne, Marshall, Ibe, Duncan and Kazim-Richards.

Ibe and Duncan were cheap because they're not yet fit.

That's to go with Lawrence, Waghorn and Holmes. Now we have Rooney out.

So please, appreciate the football that he's trying to play (see first half) against the context of a major overhaul of the squad and a long list of unavailable forwards.

Sure, if we sacked Cocu and brought a new manager in, no doubt results would pick up. But I would argue that's not because Cocu is doing anything wrong but because the injured attackers are fit again.

Please, if you don't already, realise where the club is at.... We have no money. The squad needed a total rebuild. Too many of our forwards have been injured.

Think of the bigger picture. We will reap the rewards if Cocu be allowed to finish the rebuild.

Long post. Thank you for reading it if you stuck through it. I feel the atmosphere on here is becoming a little toxic so I'll try and take a break while you "outers" argue over which hoof ball manager you want.

COYR ?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if he's part way through a rebuild, I'm not expecting him to light up the league playing fluid football. I just expect to be at the least a mid table side that can occasionally turn it on and get a result. It's a cop out now. It's his tactics that are the problem.

Just now, IslandExile said:

I came on here at half time to see mostly positive posts about the best half of football we've played this season. Good flowing, attacking football.

Did posters really say that? Shows how far we’ve fallen, a very average first half where we didn’t look overwhelmed. But we didn’t look threatening nor exciting.

In no way was that free flowing attacking football in the first half. If that's what you saw that as, my god our standards have fallen. 

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I came on here at half time to see mostly positive posts about the best half of football we've played this season. Good flowing, attacking football. I posted that I feared it would all be forgotten if Huddersfield clagged a goal. In fairness, it was a good breakaway from their viewpoint. But anyway, the predictable meltdown then ensues.

We get new "Cocu out" threads - why not use the existing ones? Is the thinking the more threads, the more pressure on Mel?

Then, we get the suggestion of McCarthy or Pullis as a new manager. I hope to god that was a joke but then some of the other suggestions make me wonder.

I think what has upset me the most tonight is that a fair minded poster, that I respect enormously, even queried leaving Waghorn and Kazim-Richards on the bench. They are not yet match fit. Lawrence is only just coming back and it was probable that he wouldn't make it through the whole game. It would've been daft to start with two less-than-fully-fit players.

But, in the rush to dig at Cocu, someone even asked why he isn't playing Sibley. Because he's injured. Do you guys want unfit/injured players in the team?

But that made me wonder, how many posters are either not following details like injuries, transfer embargoes etc. I know most people are but when you see comments like that....

So, to sack Cocu now, part way through this rebuild project - in my opinion - would be harsh on him and bad in the long run for our great club.

After years of expensive but failed attempts to get back in the top flight, Cocu is embarking on a long term project. Mel hired him to do that because Cocu promotes youth.

Of course, the academy players need time to develop. It also helps to supplement those academy players with experienced and quality players.

It's difficult to do that when the budget is effectively zero. So Cocu has had to shift out the high earners, some of which I'm sure he'd like to have kept (well Martin) and bring in bargains such as Byrne, Marshall, Ibe, Duncan and Kazim-Richards.

Ibe and Duncan were cheap because they're not yet fit.

That's to go with Lawrence, Waghorn and Holmes. Now we have Rooney out.

So please, appreciate the football that he's trying to play (see first half) against the context of a major overhaul of the squad and a long list of unavailable forwards.

Sure, if we sacked Cocu and brought a new manager in, no doubt results would pick up. But I would argue that's not because Cocu is doing anything wrong but because the injured attackers are fit again.

Please, if you don't already, realise where the club is at.... We have no money. The squad needed a total rebuild. Too many of our forwards have been injured.

Think of the bigger picture. We will reap the rewards of Cocu be allowed to finish the rebuild.

Long post. Thank you for reading it if you stuck through it. I feel the atmosphere in here is becoming a little toxic so I'll try and take a break while you "outers" argue over which hoof ball manager you want.

COYR ?

I agree with many of your points and want him to succeed with us.

The problem is he’s now running out of time with results. I can’t see him losing the next two games and keeping his job!

He has to turn it around in the next two matches, otherwise he’s done I’m afraid.

Free flowing attacking football would insinuate plenty of chances, we had 2 shots on target.

I get the rebuild/we’re skint bit, but our squad is so much more capable than what we are seeing.

We were seeing glimpses of it at the back end of last season, so why have we gone so downhill since then?! 

I think we need a slice of luck to be able to turn things around. The first half performance was genuinely good today and we created a genuine 9/10 chance which would’ve been scored and given us what we deserved from the half - just very unfortunate that it went against us.

Trouble then is heads drop when we go behind and the second half was admittedly poor and uninspiring.

I truly hope he is given the time to turn things around because I really don’t think we’re a million miles away from turning a corner, but it feels like I am living on “ifs”. If Pedro doesn’t score a wonder goal for Watford we get a deserved point, if the Lino today didn’t miss his Specsavers appointment we go into half time deservedly ahead etc etc. 

But I don’t really know how much longer we can rely on an if eventually going our way. Ultimately we do eventually need some results. I don’t really think we’ll get relegated and I do believe we will eventually clamber to mid table but I can very much understand the frustrations of those who don’t (or at least those who can articulate their thoughts and concerns without sly digs about his nationality, demeanour or accent anyway)! 

I do think, and would hope most would acknowledge, Cocu has been unbelievably unfortunate throughout his reign. These things are supposed to even out so I can only assume he’s in line for a lottery win. 

The sad fact of the matter is that as soon as Huddersfield scored I just felt totally deflated knowing the best we could get is a point. With 30 minutes left you shouldn't be thinking that's it game over. But with Cocu overseeing things that's exactly what I'm thinking. Apart from a weird 7 match streak last year were we scored 3 goals every time we crossed the line the rest of the season was a bore. People stick the knife in to Rowett but his team scored more and created more than what this team is doing. Has Cocu been unlucky? Without question but sometimes things aren't meant to be even if the right intentions are there. 

11 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

That was me just asking an honest question where Sibley is, wasn’t suggesting for one second that he should be played when injured. Not sure where you got the idea that I was digging Cocu out either ??‍♂️??

Personally think you’ve misunderstood my post. 

Love the sentiment (mostly) of the OP and what the poster is trying to get at...

But I can't help but feel like this is all largely based on green shoots. And that's not enough.

If the plants are growing right you've got to change.

That being said, I was these shoots to grow and the only way you do that is by giving it time.

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

That was me just asking an honest question where Sibley is, wasn’t suggesting for one second that he should be played when injured. Not sure where you got the idea that I was digging Cocu out either ??‍♂️??

Personally think you’ve misunderstood my post. 

Ok, apologies then. I thought it was well known that he's been injured since before Norwich. Sometimes things like that can be missed. In interviews with Cocu since, all the focus has really been on the likes of Lawrence and Waghorn. Because we need fit forwards.

6 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Free flowing attacking football would insinuate plenty of chances, we had 2 shots on target.

I get the rebuild/we’re skint bit, but our squad is so much more capable than what we are seeing.

We were seeing glimpses of it at the back end of last season, so why have we gone so downhill since then?! 

Loosing Martin and Bogle was massive, people can chat poo about Martin all they want but he was our key player in attack, with Bogle our 2nd most creative player. He couldn't defend well but going forward he always was positive and could create space for other players with his dribbling. 

Archived