Straw poll

Sean

Cocu in or out?  

484 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m just frustrated. I was ready for a long term project and knew there’d be rubbish games but I was expecting to see a slow and gradual improvement in performances. Other than 7 games last season I haven’t seen us get any better during his time here. 

I know he’s been through some crap off the pitch but on the pitch I’m running out of excuses for him. Even with the injuries we’ve got we should have more than 3 points from the games we’ve played. 

The first half yesterday showed me that we are capable of playing with high intensity and pressing high and causing the opposition to make mistakes. So it begs the question where has that intensity been up to now?! 

I’m happy for him to be given a bit longer to turn it around. I’m not fussed if he is sacked. I will be angry if we end up with some pudding like Pulis/McCarthy/pardew/Allardyce though. 

If Mel pulls the trigger it’s got to be a more pragmatic manager that will also play the younger lads. We’re developing a brilliant bunch of players. 

46 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

In - if we go down we go down. It might be better in the long run to drop down a division & press the reset button fully.

It wouldn’t be the end of world - the club will still be here 

This is insanity - we’d be asset stripped of what remains of our best players for peanuts, our income levels would collapse as would our attendances and we would end up with a team full of 17 year olds and journeymen. We’d be down in League One for years like Sunderland.

Best solution - Cocu out and reset in the Championship with someone who knows what they doing.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are you sure?

Just to remind you of a few of your comments on the Philip Cocu thread:-

Damn missed all of this at the cinema watching spider man... Peter Parker ain’t the only one shooting webs now having seen this news!

Cocks out for cocu!

Also, twan scheepers?! This has gotta be a bloody pisstake hasn’t it?! Someone’s having us on 100%, no way that can be his real name! Expect this is all to be a joke and big Dave to be announced imminently

Genuinely didn’t think we’d pull this one off, seriously ambitious move and props to Mel for managing to persuade him to join. Seemed unlikely but somehow he’s worked his magic and got him here, hopefully that means he’s got the funds available to bring in the quality of player we need to finally get to the prem

Who needs the wayback machine when you got our man GSTAR ?

I am in, but i usually say that anyway, changing our managers frequently (not all our own fault of course) is very damaging so i am one for the status quo and letting someone build something as there is usually some sort of reset when a new manager comes in (excluding mac 1 and 2 maybe).

I think had i been getting off my backside and going to pride park instead of sat comfy on my sofa my view might be changing faster than it is.

I like him, i think hes been dealt an awful hand since he got here, but god i need to see something, i felt we where from when Rooney signed, but seriously makes me thing how good that combo of rooney picking it up in midfield, martin creating space for the runners really was...

I know its Martin again, but i cant apologise because we just havent replaced him, it will cost more than we needed to offer him to replace him i am sure of it.

I voted in.

Only just.

The reasons I'm still in...

The first half performance was a very different type of performance that we've seen all season and I actually thought we played really well. The movement from the front 3 and the forward looking passes from our midfield were a joy to watch.

We have a team of relative youngsters and some of our top players just returning from injury so he's been short handed all season.

We have no money, we will have even less if we get rid of 4/5 managers and coaches so we won't be able to strengthen in Jan even if we wanted to.

I don't want Rooney to get anywhere near managing our club. If Eddie Howe was knocking on the door, or Lee Johnson of that ilk then I might think differently.

The reasons I am nearly out.......

The second half was poor, we conceded a break away goal and never then looked like scoring, the heads dropped, no one wnated the ball and all the manager and coaches could do was to stand there passive. I know they don't kick the ball, but getting in the ear of players to give more is vital in moments like that.

The youngsters seem to be regressing (Bird in particular) with the negative approach with 3 at the back.

The majority of boring and turgid football. I am not entertained at all, and it isn't even getting results.

Not looking like scoring if the goals were legs and we could pay for it.

Can’t understand how 113 people still want Cocu as manager.

Ive been worried for a while that he’s a fraud and doesn’t have what it takes to win in the championship but the final straw tonight was taking Shinnie off leaving us lightweight in midfield.

Ridiculous decision and a sign of a manager who is desperate and doesn’t know how to turn things around.

I’ve said it before but if he was called Barry and was from Bolton people wouldn’t be so patient.

Out for me. Not just for our league position, our performances and the drab style. There’s also a growing list of naively poor decisions and poor judgement:

1. Letting proven strikers go

2. Dutch Mike - reminds me of the Van Morrison line “....shakes like a leaf on the tree”. Never will adjust to Championship football. Poor judgement to think he would.

3. Being left without strikers because of other poor decisions.

4. Recruitment- we scrape the bottom of the barrel. 
5. I’d love to read the job descriptions of the various coaches. I think there’s 5 altogether. And then we had to recruit a fitness coach! Yet we can’t take a decent free kick or corner. And last night we were tactically nullified by a relative novice.
Too many hands on the tiller and collectively making wrong calls time after time. 

I suspect they won’t be sacked yet. And please not Rooney as next manager. Mel, stop making Hollywood appointments. Get Mac in with Paul Cook. We have a great crop of youngsters. The time is nigh.

Im still voting In, although I'm almost always pro stability and against manager sackings.

Firstly, because I belive they can turn this around.

Secondly, Cocu and his staff have 3 years left on there contracts. The financial implications of sacking them would probably mean Darren Wassall as manager and not striker in January.

9 hours ago, goldstar said:

I don't think the players are playing for him now, 2 minutes added time to go and we faff about outside the box with no interest in whipping it in.

We get in good positions then stop for a look around, the player next to them decides not to make space, but instead to stand 3 feet apart and gain no ground. Every ball needs to be inch perfect because we run into traffic yet they slice us apart so easily. 

Negative, dull, uninspiring, tedious football. Bring back the days of 2014 where we could be 4 down but still have hope we could turn it around. Now, if we concede 1, that's it. 

Negative body language. Same old cliche phrases on social media. Rooney absent coming up to what could be a make or break few matches. 

Cocu seems to be a really nice guy and i hate to see it like this and wish it could have worked out. However i don't see this getting better and we would be delusional to think relegation wasn't a big possibility. 

A number of players appear to have lost their appetite for enjoying football. We seem bound by tactics. Dire to watch. Before Covid we were winning games. An unknown combination of factors has stopped that. More than unfit and injured players involved it seems. Something perhaps similar, happened to Forest and some other teams.

I’m “in” for the same reasons most other “ins” are. A questions for the “outs” that “need results now”. How long will you give a new man? How fast a turnaround would you want? If a new man is appointed and we are still struggling in Feb, will you want another new man in. Or are you “well it can’t be any worse” camp?

8 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I’m “in” for the same reasons most other “ins” are. A questions for the “outs” that “need results now”. How long will you give a new man? How fast a turnaround would you want? If a new man is appointed and we are still struggling in Feb, will you want another new man in. Or are you “well it can’t be any worse” camp?

I appreciate all you are saying but it's hardly wanting results now when out of 12 matches we have lost 10 of them....I think the fan base has been exceptionally patient.

1 minute ago, DC-1975 said:

What has McClaren done in the last 6 years that suggests he is the right man. Plenty of other managers have out performed him over that time. Surely it's time to move on!

Paul Cook as a No.2? Why would he accept that when he's got a reputation as being a good No.1?

Mac is a great coach. Paul cook to pick up the reins as time progresses. Mac as Director of Football -  he’s been studying that role. Paul Cook may not want it - but it’s an offer he may accept. 
just a suggestion but something has to change. 

10 hours ago, goldstar said:

Yep, it used to be fun, and enjoyable experience, a treat to watch, now it's like Stockholm syndrome where you hate every second of it yet can't help but watch. 

I remember the Rotherham game under McClaren, 3-0 down and it ended 3-3 due to Ince i think. Unbelievable to see the drive and positive play. And the Ipswich game, don't get me started. 

That Rotherham game got a really bad reaction on here. Calls for a proper manager like Pearson and "we should be beating teams like Rotherham"

There was a massive sense of entitlement around at the time. I hope the past few years have shown people that not getting promoted isn't necessarily failure. 

Just now, Alpha said:

That Rotherham game got a really bad reaction on here. Calls for a proper manager like Pearson and "we should be beating teams like Rotherham"

There was a massive sense of entitlement around at the time. I hope the past few years have shown people that not getting promoted isn't necessarily failure. 

It is failure.  

Is this you supporting Mac mate 

1 hour ago, Justa said:

Can’t understand how 113 people still want Cocu as manager.

Ive been worried for a while that he’s a fraud and doesn’t have what it takes to win in the championship but the final straw tonight was taking Shinnie off leaving us lightweight in midfield.

Ridiculous decision and a sign of a manager who is desperate and doesn’t know how to turn things around.

I’ve said it before but if he was called Barry and was from Bolton people wouldn’t be so patient.

If Barry from Bolton had won nowt then yeh, people would be less patient!

Archived