Man U and Liverpool in talks to join European Premier League

Curtains

A problem created by the greed of the top European Leagues cannot be solved by more greed.

Lack of a diverse range of competition is directly a result of stripping the poorer/smaller leagues of their best players, and this is what has been proposed to solve that.... Something to redress the balance would solve it, instead they've decided to close the shop even further.

As the money continues to filter upwards, soon the concentration of the top players will be entirely held within 18 clubs. What happens when Spurs realise they are still unable to win anything? Reduce the competition further still? One day the top 40 players will be held entirely by Real and Barcelona and they'll just play eachother 38 times a season and folk will lap it up on PPV for £29.99 per game.

Joke of a sport football is.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m all for them going if it leads to major reform within our own system. Wage caps at clubs (a total amount in total a club is allowed to spend on total wages, not a cap on what an individual can earn), shared gate receipts, money divided fairly between clubs and leagues, and just a genuine drive to push competition. I’d love for Derby to be able to go up and think we have a chance at winning something and I’d love for us to have the chance to build a good team without knowing that as soon as we have a good player he’s likely gone.

Different winners of the leagues and completions will build interest. Some robust financial governance will stop clubs going out of business. Football needs to remember where it came from, remember that it is a game made up of clubs that belong to communities, remember that it is a game that is supposed to entertain, not some kind of business to be played out on spreadsheets. 

Let the big 6 go and make their league, but let it be its own thing. It is time to stop our game being held hostage by some businessmen who don’t give a toss about the other clubs and their fans, a toss about the history of the game and what it means to people, who only give a toss about generating money. It is time for football to be returned to the people.   

It's a great opportunity to reset things.

Let them go.

The rest of the clubs should already be streamlining their finances in the light of Covid. Carry on doing that, work out at FA / league level a full and robust financial system that cares for the clubs and let actual football take centre stage. 

I couldn't care less if English football is a global brand or whether people wear club shirts in China or wherever.

Of course, this would take leadership on the part of the FA and Football League, so fat chance.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's a great opportunity to reset things.

Let them go.

The rest of the clubs should already be streamlining their finances in the light of Covid. Carry on doing that, work out at FA / league level a full and robust financial system that cares for the clubs and let actual football take centre stage. 

I couldn't care less if English football is a global brand or whether people wear club shirts in China or wherever.

Of course, this would take leadership on the part of the FA and Football League, so fat chance.

Perfectly put, I would see this as an opportunnity to get our own houses in order, let them go (and dont let them back when they realise that getting spaked 4-0 by Bayern every other week isnt that much fun)

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Perfectly put, I would see this as an opportunnity to get our own houses in order, let them go (and dont let them back when they realise that getting spaked 4-0 by Bayern every other week isnt that much fun)

I suspect the FA are terrified of losing the "big 6" - can't see them having the balls to issue such an ultimatum so they will no doubt find a way to facilitate this move however much it may annoy everyone else....

I used to enjoy watching the European cup, cup winners cup and uefa cup, however the champions league holds no interest at all, as it’s pretty much a closed shop now, that has distorted club football to make it so.

If we returned to the “old” format and effectively ring fenced the top 18 greed league as though they no longer existed, I think you’d find in Europe that the rest would do quite nicely.  Ok, the top players would initially flock to that league, as would the international markets.

However, that would not lessen the enjoyment of winning the competition you are in.  For example, do you think Barrow fans thought “well, we won the league, but Man Utd were not competing against us, so it doesn’t count”?

And, over time, the big ticket matches would arrive for the football tourists, as the league reshapes and new big ticket matches arise when the teams competing at the top emerge.

I really hope this happens and the FA stand their ground, as it’s a great opportunity for football to become much more enjoyable for the fans of every other club.  Plus, you’d find new generations of fans adopting a local team, as even more can’t afford to go and watch Liverpool home and away.

Knowing the FA, they’ll allow a Liverpool B team to take Liverpool’s place so they can hoover up the rest of the talent and monopolise twice as many players.

If the rest of football can show the resolve to turn their back on this league, it would soon get very boring to watch a season that is completely over after 15 games for half of the teams.

So the bailout is 250 million for 3 leagues  allowing them to cream of a share of 6 billion and make all the decisions financed by a load of Wall street nobbers, who know nothing about 'soccer'. In the meantime the charity shield friendly that benefits er.... charity will be scrapped.   No european cup which is effectively disbanded as an entity.  Can't call it the champions league anyway as 75% aren't. Sure there will be a nice new trophy, the old one will be melted down and used to make alloys for Ronaldos fleet of cars.  No chance for anyone domestically to challenge to get in this ridiculous league as the bouncer doesn't like your shoes.

Load of baalocks.

Archived