Man U and Liverpool in talks to join European Premier League

Curtains

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, this idea makes no sense to me.

What problems does it solve?

If you hand-pick 18 teams from the major European leagues, it doesn’t eliminate the problems the Champions League has.

You will still get mismatches like Bayern v Spurs/Arsenal and you will get games that no-one will want to watch, like Lyon v Ajax.

They might as well condense it further and have a ten-team league. You could have the top four teams in England, the top two teams in Spain, the top two teams in Italy, the champions of Germany, and the champions of France.

That might be workable.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

To be honest, this idea makes no sense to me.

What problems does it solve?

If you hand-pick 18 teams from the major European leagues, it doesn’t eliminate the problems the Champions League has.

You will still get mismatches like Bayern v Spurs/Arsenal and you will get games that no-one will want to watch, like Lyon v Ajax.

They might as well condense it further and have a ten-team league. You could have the top four teams in England, the top two teams in Spain, the top two teams in Italy, the champions of Germany, and the champions of France.

That might be workable.

I think you’re making the mistake of thinking it has anything other than money to do with.

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Looks like The Big Picture plan was to help create space for this super league sooner than expected ! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Honest to God, I was going to post early on in the other thread that I wondered if this Big Picture boll....  was a smokescreen to pave their way to breaking away and forming a Euro Super League but decided against it as I thought I’d just get ripped into for a ridiculous post. 

ie propose something that would upset the apple cart then they could (in their mind) stamp their feet and take their ball home so to speak.

I hope they go and Sky miss out on the broadcasting rights, a bit of karma for charging 15 quid to watch the like of Burnley v West Brom last night, outrageous and just pure greed.

Call their bluff and tell them to go if they want to. But that if they go there’s no coming back for 50 years. We’ll keep a version of the Champions League where you still qualify domestically.

I’d give it 10 years before Spurs ‘fans’ are bored of finishing bottom every year and realise they can’t attract players because they’re finishing bottom every year. 

I agree with everyone who's saying, "good, duck off and don't come back". The problem is that they'll likely want to still be involved in or maybe field B teams in the domestic leagues. Most fans would tell them to sod off, but it's not our decision. The owners of the smaller clubs will not want to see the big teams and the revenue that accompanies them disappear and if forced they will ultimately roll over and accept whatever shitty deal the big boys put forwards. Sorry to sound so negative, but we've seen this pattern time and time again. Big clubs push sweeping changes that benefit no one but themselves, get voted down, increase monetary package (bribe) that accompanies the deal until they get the required number of votes to push it through. It happened with youth teams in the EFL Trophy, it happened with adopting the tiered academy system, and it will continue happening.

Don’t necessarily have a problem with the idea, but there’s got to be some sort of defined promotion/relegation from the league Imo. The moment the established elite lock themselves away in the top division, raking in all the profits forever more, is the moment football dies imo. There’s got to be some hope of reaching the top, otherwise what’s the point in playing in the lower leagues? The best players certainly wouldn’t want to go down there.

Think on the whole it’s just another show of greed from Man Utd and Liverpool, but it could have some benefits to be fair. Would certainly make the Premier League a lot more even, without 6 teams hammering everyone every week.

Good - so long as they clear off and never come back or try to hang around in English football 

also if they think I would pay a single penny to watch it they are mistaken 

this following on from the big picture is the big picture - they want less domestic games and no cup to have the openings to do this - I can’t actually stand them which is why I chuckle every time they get beat in Europe games 

while we are at it get the FA to make sure the players are never allowed to be selected for England 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The same teams, even if they're "big" stuck playing each other in a closed league is going to get boring real fast.

Particularly if one team is always beating all the others.

Let them get on with it, I hope their "fans" enjoy the games (and all the "Air Miles")?

Archived