Transfer Window, success or not?

Dimmu

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We needed a GK and got a good one, needed CB and got Clarke back which was great, needed to replace Bogle and got Byrne who looks brilliant so far. Desperately needed wingers and got Joswiak and Ibe, jury still out on both. Now the big one, even before Martin went we needed to strengthen our attacking options. Martin went and we loaned out Marriott, is Turkish Colin and adequate replacement, imo not at all. I think the lack of attacking options will  ultimately cost PC his job. So has the window been a success, it’s a no from me.

** also don’t understand why we have brought players in who aren’t fit enough to start. 

I see it more as a partial success, rather than a partial failure.  We've signed some exciting prospects, Ibe, Joswiak and Duncan, but the striker issue just takes a little bit of gloss off it.  Having said that, I'm not writing CKR off before he's even put his boots on, he's a big unit and won't be bullied by defenders and really could do a job for the team. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

** also don’t understand why we have brought players in who aren’t fit enough to start. 

Because that's all we could get I imagine with the money we had or were prepared to pay or could attract over other clubs or because we then went down to our 3rd or 4th picks due to a combination of one or all of the above. 

I do hope that @David has got a new server lined up for all the traffic the forum is going to get once CKR proves to be poo, or for the humble pies if he's a success?

As for the OP, I think it has been a generally positive window. If we'd done all our business in the last week everyone would be raving about all except the striker situation. Yes, it's a very important cog in the team's machinery, but Dursan for example was as big a risk as CKR.

I wish perhaps they'd been more open up front and said look its about saving money for the next 12 months and losing high wage earners and bringing in freebies and lower earners. 

Also say we have lower aspirations about being mid table and not getting relegated this year and pushing on next season with a younger hungrier squad that knows how to play Cocuball. 

18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Could it be that those players will get fit soon, whereas an inferior player will not get better?

He’ll be sacked before they’re fit enough to make a difference, odd strategy 

3/5

Marshall - Good keeper, cheap, but only got 2/3 years left in him.

Byrne - Solid rightback that can attack, cheap, can't say anything against the lad.

Te Wierik - Not started great at all, hopefully comes good otherwise we're still a CB short. Free so at the worst he won't be a shocking signing.

Clarke - Solid, average - good defender, familiar with the club so should hopefully start putting in 7/10 performances.

Jozwiak - Think he'll be the real deal when confidence starts to come back to us. Shame the deal dragged on for a couple of extra weeks.

Ibe - Bit of a gamble, but one I believe is worth the risk, on his day will put a team to the sword.

Kazim-Richards - Experienced and free, think he'll do a job for us, but we should've done better.

Duncan - Good signing on paper but can't predict whether he'll go on to do anything with us or not.

A step in the right direction, but the lack of a quality striker has killed off any hope of us challenging this season. Just hope players get fit soon because It'll be nice to see a starting line up with a bit of attacking intent/class.

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

He’ll be sacked before they’re fit enough to make a difference, odd strategy 

I would have thought that he's got at least until Christmas. Hopefully the new players will be fit in a couple of weeks. We've bought professional footballers, not pub league players (yes, I'm including CKR).

I think it's a qualified success, assuming the purse strings are not what they once were.

A decent target striker in and would've been very successful.

Also worth noting hanging onto Lawrence may prove to be very good.

Assuming Lawrence, Waghorn and Bielik can make an impact when they come back and Ibe and CKR offer something.

Questions over MTW, perhaps just not suitable for championship, or needs time to adapt.

Outgoing, lots of aging high earners off the books. Selling Lowe and Bogle to the prem has to seen as a success in terms of academy players adding value and cash.

Apart from striker, I think it's been a good window, a lot smarter than previously.

Our problems have not been transfers. Injuries and playing awful are

The success of the window depends from which angle you judge it from. In terms of the parameters that the Club set, I reckon it has been a pretty much complete success.

The exercise this year has been in resetting the financial boundaries and I would think the club have taken a considerable amount of cost out of the playing budget for only a marginal reduction in quality; that has to be deemed a success in any business analysis.

Has it been a 'sexy' window for fans? Possibly not.

2 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

I wish perhaps they'd been more open up front and said look its about saving money for the next 12 months and losing high wage earners and bringing in freebies and lower earners. 

Also say we have lower aspirations about being mid table and not getting relegated this year and pushing on next season with a younger hungrier squad that knows how to play Cocuball. 

Yes exactly communication is king. We dont need detail but you are spot on lower expectations and all pull together

To add some non Derby fans opinions (from my local mates teams whatsapp group) into the mix they think we’ve had a great window. They are very much looking at it on paper though. 
On paper we look okay, good even. Problem is so many players not fully fit or out injured is the reality. 

Archived