Transfer Window, success or not?

Dimmu

Okay, Marriott and Martin fan boys. Take a step back and reflect the window as a whole. Are you happy with it or not? Was there someone you're excited about?

And yes, I just created another Martin thread. Nevertheless, I put some of the outgoings and incomings side by side, just to that it's easer to compare the players. Are you happy with the balance?

OUT                                                                IN

Carson                                               

Hamer                                                Marshall

Lowe

Malone                                               Te Wierik

Anya

Bogle                                                  Byrne

Huddlestone                                     

Josefzoon                                          Ibe

Bennett                                              Jozwiak

Martin                                                Kazim-Richards

Marriott                                             

Our goalkeeping department changed in U23 as well as Ravas & Mitchell was replaced by Idem & Sykes-Kenworthy. Also, our U23 signed Hutchinson, Ibrahim, Borkovic, Watson and Duncan, while Mitchell-Lawson went out. 

I think it's fair to say the business we made seemed to be based on financies and orienting to the future with young talents coming in. Lot's of cost cutting with big salaries running out, free and cheap signins, and Jozwiak as a only normal priced signing. 

Who am I missing? I left Clarke out of this as he would've been in both sections.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Okay, Marriott and Martin fan boys. Take a step back and reflect the window as a whole. Are you happy with it or not? Was there someone you're excited about?

And yes, I just created another Martin thread. Nevertheless, I put some of the outgoings and incomings side by side, just to that it's easer to compare the players. Are you happy with the balance?

Carson                                               

Lowe

Anya

Huddlestone                                     

Marriott                                             

Our goalkeeping department changed in U23 as well as Ravas & Mitchell was replaced by Idem & Sykes-Kenworthy. Also, our U23 signed Hutchinson, Ibrahim, Borkovic, Watson and Duncan, while Mitchell-Lawson went out. 

I think it's fair to say the business we made seemed to be based on financies and orienting to the future with young talents coming in. Lot's of cost cutting with big salaries running out, free and cheap signins, and Jozwiak as a only normal priced signing. 

Who am I missing? I left Clarke out of this as he would've been in both sections.

You missed this man off the main list  . Success for me 

E08EFEB4-34B1-4262-8E10-29BD358DA070.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I’d say it’s neither been a success or a failure. We’ve addressed the wings with real quality and brought in quality players. But we’ve really let our selves down in the striker and I’d say lb. 

Just watching Moore playing for Cardiff...think he would have fitted the bill perfectly up top....

15 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Carson                                               

Lowe

Anya

Huddlestone                                     

Marriott                                             

Not sure we will be able to judge for a while...

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

With the lack of a new hold-up striker and the uncertainty over the current centre-halves being able to play well in a four. Plus losing Lowe. 

2 steps forward (maybe), one step back. 

Yes, not getting a replacement for Martin is a worry. Pleased with some of the signings. Marshall and Byrne look excellent additions. Good to get others off the wage bill. Buchanan already looks better than Lowe so no worries there.

If we'd have landed Dursun, it'd have been close to the perfect transfer window.

Goalkeeper was a major issue - sorted. Losing Clarke was a major issue - sorted. Upgrade at RB with plenty of money in the bank - good business. Needed some wingers so bought Lewandowski's wing man & a previous loan star here - good business. Whilst the forward situation is still seen by many as a major problem, I suspect Duncan & CKR will be effective additions very soon.

I also think the business out has been good. Malone, Bennett & Jozefzoon had no future here & all been shipped out. Huddlestone had no prospect of first team football so he left also. Clearly Marriott is contentious with some but he's simply not suited to the way we play & isn't at all reliable. We needed some money so cashed in on the 2 young players we could replace reasonably easily.

Martin is obviously the elephant in the room here. I don't blame the club for not offering a 2 year deal nor do I blame them for making the offer much more incentive based (source: Ryan Conway) - I also don't blame Martin for seeking a better offer. Its unfortunate & looks worse for not having landed Dursun - I do applaud the club for not just caving into Darmstadt though. Paying over the odds for someone out of contract in a few months' time is not clever business & those days are over at Derby.

After all that activity, we're likely to be in a much better place from a wagebill perspective & from a talent point of view, have upgraded in every area - apart from CF. 

Think the way I’d sum it up is: It was all going so well... until it wasn’t.

Up until the last few weeks we had done pretty well. For once we were a bit more imaginative with our recruitment, bringing in the likes of Jozwiak from abroad for lower fees than we’d have to pay for similar quality over here. We did pretty well to cover most positions of need with new signings, whilst working under a ridiculously tight budget. It was obviously very disappointing to lose both Bogle and Lowe, but understandable all the same. Particularly looking forward to seeing what Ibe can do when he’s fit - I think he could be a class above if we can get him playing to his maximum potential.

Sadly though, all that good work could be for nothing. The last few weeks was nothing short of shambolic. We’ve known we needed a new striker since before Martin even left, how we ended the window only having signed bloody Colin Kazim-Richards is an absolute joke. When you add in the fact we let Marriott go without replacement, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a wind up. All of the rest of our decent recruitment will probably now be totally undone because we’ve failed to sort out one of the most important positions in our system. It’s pathetic, it really is - and I feel so bad for Cocu who just keeps getting let down by those elsewhere in the club. He’s been saying for ages how he wants a new striker, and we failed to deliver one for him.

I will just quickly add however that our youth recruitment seems to have been excellent again, as usual. We’ve brought in a number of seemingly very talented young players for our U23’s and U18’s, which should bode very well for the future, with virtually no risk. It’s a shame our senior recruitment can’t live up to the same high standards.

Archived