If we won at Wembley

Sean

If we won at Wembley, where would Derby County be?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

Really?

The team that finished behind a Leicester team that nearly got relegated and a Burnley Team that did.

It would have taken a lot of new players. How many of that team became top Premier League players?

Thorne and two from Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson was a top ten Premier League midfield.

Grant would have been fine (Stoke fans actually credit him with keeping them up in 16/17).

Ulloa, Ashley Barnes and Vokes were fine in the Premier League and so I see no reason as to why Martin wouldn’t have been.

Keogh would have been fine. 

Fozzy a maybe. Depends how costly his sloppy games in possession were. 

Russell and Dawkins would have been alright cover. 

Wisdom would have returned so we’d have needed a right-back anyway. 

Four or five signings to stay up. Another few the year after to take us up a level. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DC-1975 said:

That's true, but Leicester had to sign Kante and Mahrez to become a decent team. They would improve any team in the Premier League.

The comments that I was replying to were that the 2014 team would have been playing in Europe within a few years. From the squad that played a Wembley I would say only Thorne, Hughes and possibly Hendrick were good enough to compete towards that standard.

Mahrez was there in 13/14 

Since 2014 of the 21 teams that have been promoted 10 are now in the same league as us (obviously three of the eleven are in the top flight this season). Leicester, Burnley, Villa, Brighton, Wolves and Newcastle have established themselves, the rest are back amongst us. And the only ones out of those six who have done it without significant money (in excess of anything we could dream of) are Burnley and Brighton.

QPR, Norwich, Cardiff, Boro, Huddesfield, Hull and Watford are now all pretty much what we are  - a bang average Championship side, probably not likely to get relegated or promoted.

I don't really dream of what might have been because getting there is only the first step in the journey. We missed out on the great divide that happened with the Sky cash injection and foreign owners prepared to plough millions into their vanity project. It's gone, the ship has sailed and it's all but impossible now to get over to the other side now and stay there. So, 2014 or 2019 - chances are we'd be back pretty much where we are now with little to tell but a few stories of the away days at Arsenal and Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Since 2014 of the 21 teams that have been promoted 10 are now in the same league as us (obviously three of the eleven are in the top flight this season). Leicester, Burnley, Villa, Brighton, Wolves and Newcastle have established themselves, the rest are back amongst us. And the only ones out of those six who have done it without significant money (in excess of anything we could dream of) are Burnley and Brighton.

QPR, Norwich, Cardiff, Boro, Huddesfield, Hull and Watford are now all pretty much what we are  - a bang average Championship side, probably not likely to get relegated or promoted.

I don't really dream of what might have been because getting there is only the first step in the journey. We missed out on the great divide that happened with the Sky cash injection and foreign owners prepared to plough millions into their vanity project. It's gone, the ship has sailed and it's all but impossible now to get over to the other side now and stay there. So, 2014 or 2019 - chances are we'd be back pretty much where we are now with little to tell but a few stories of the away days at Arsenal and Liverpool.

And a healthy bank account.

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I think that at least Norwich and Watford are ahead of us just because of the spending power they have.  With some care and patience they will be beck in the next 2 years.  Cardiff and Stoke (!) are running out of time but have a better chance than us.  The rest, well parachute payments don't guarantee success if you don't use the money wisely.  Yep I agree we would be back in div2 but with the advantage of being less worried by P&S and Mel not needing to plough more of his fortune into the club at least for a couple of years

Had we got promoted under Lampard I think it's highly likely we would have been relegated fairly comfortably (Not 11 pts mind). 

To lay some ground work our best 11 to my mind at the back-end of that season was Roos, Boyle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Johnson, Mount, Holmes, Wilson, Waghorn, Lawrence. I think it's reasonable to assume Lampard leaves, Mount and Tomori don't return with a maybe on Wilson. 

So with that in mind I think there is only really Keogh I'm confident could cut it with Bogle as an outside shot. And if you consider that we were seriously lacking depth in places I think we are genuinely looking at a shopping list: GK, 2xCB, LB, 2xCDM, 2xCM, 2xRW, ST, 1xLW if we want to seriously compete. It's just too much in my view, expensive and hard to get them all gelling in a reduced window. 

Personally I'd be thinking about taking the somewhat pragmatic view of accepting we are likely to go down and essentially preparing the squad for the promotion push the following year. I.e  improve the squad but don't go wild spending. 

Archived