Sack cocu

dantheram

I wish him all the best, seems a genuinely nice bloke and he’s not had a good hand dealt to him with his time here, but even so football is meant to be entertaining and his football isn’t fun to watch, that squad I believe is capable of so much more than we’re seeing. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could be in deep trouble. Cocu would be gone under normal circumstances. As things appear to be, Mel can't sack him with the takeover in progress. 

Worryingly, the prospective new owners have failed to complete two takeovers which went on for months.

We could be still in this position in a few weeks. It's not going to be pretty if this takeover doesn't happen quickly. 

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

His coaching and tactics has let them down too....they all have responsibility for this shambles but the gaffer takes the most.

I don’t disagree where the buck stops. I haven’t looked at the matchday thread yet, but I am just saying for the purposes of this thread that the players should be getting a few pelters tonight too.

3 minutes ago, Justa said:

Some people who have questioned Cocu have been ridiculed to be fair ? 

Haven’t seen much of that personally, maybe aside from the fallout from the “lost dressing room” thread, which at the time I still believe was premature. 

I have seen lots of good debate between people who questioned Cocu and people who believed in the long term, but sadly I do now think his time is up, and I would imagine most others will too.

Ultimately someone who I think everyone would agree has given his all for this football club, and who has carried himself in the exact way we wish a representative of the club would, is probably going to lose his job. I don’t think anybody should delight in that.

17 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I do wonder why people haven’t worked this out. No way Mel sacks him a day or 2 before selling the club. All eyes on the takeover.

Course he can sack him. The new owner had probably said that's it now.

Can't see a new manager being appointed until we have an owner though.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Agreed.

A couple of weeks ago though the boot was on the other foot though

An eye for an eye we all go blind. But pathetic i told you so's aren't exclusive to those who were critical of the manager they feel was not doing a good job for the club they support

Not particularly excusing it, and I may well be guilty of it myself, but taking pleasure in seeing people proved wrong when your team has won is different to taking pleasure in seeing people proved wrong when your team has lost, no?

4 minutes ago, Beardmm said:

I’ve been a big advocate of Cocu in so far, but today I may have changed my mind. 

He’s found a system that suits the team and then he changes it to basically accommodate Rooney. 

Up until today we have seen improvement, albeit glacial like in its pace, but we have definitely been better. He’s changed the system and we looked bad again. 

Take Rooney out. Play with a back 3/5 and let Knight and Shinnie run the whole game. Wouldn’t have been as good with Fozzy but would’ve worked ok and better than we managed 

It does worry me that Rooney can't be taken out due to a contract or something like Red 32 refusing to pay his wages if he is fit but doesn't play. 

If it's not something like that then I don't understand Cocu's loyalty to Rooney at all.

For me the problem is he's always going to want to play a game where we keep the ball at all costs, even if that means turning round on the edge of the opponents' area and passing all the way back to our half. He's always going to want to do that even though we are incredibly easy to work out. Sit back in numbers when we have the ball in your half: we will try to pass it through you, and we can't. Press when we have it in our own half: we will try to pass our way out of trouble and mess up under pressure. There is no combination of players in this squad who can make this work. Cocu seems incapable of coming up with a Plan B and if so I don't see how we can continue. 

Tonight is the end of the line for me. Absolutely gutted. He’s had the toughest job since Clough. There’s been positives in the youngsters he brought through, the clubs future is bright and he’s played a part in that. But his message (whatever that is) is not getting through. 

Real positives in the last 3 games but they have all been lost tonight. Bizarre to give Buchanan a rest. Awful performance tonight, only not bottom due to Wednesday’s points deduction.

Im confident there is a decent team in there but the players need to hear a new message.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Isn't that the essence of the problem though. That's the classic description of a team not playing for their manager. 

To be honest I am not sure that is the case. I didn’t see anyone hiding or not putting in sufficient effort, perhaps Lawrence at times, and Holmes who looks shot to me. I am just saying as a collective, in the attacking half of the field, a group of talented footballers looked Vauxhall Conference tonight. It was not good enough, and I don’t think it was a tactics problem either. The players were just so sloppy when it came to delivering the important balls .

5 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

You are deluded. What good has he done! He is a football manager. He is judged solely on results. I’m not happy about sacking anyone. I’m uninterested if he’s a nice man. Can he do the job. Results say not. He is a shadow of a manager and shows no ability to manage. 

Yeah. But it's sad innit he's a good man, with excellent credentials. Who could be happy with *his* predicament? Happy for us if we move on. #COYR

Just now, i-Ram said:

To be honest I am not sure that is the case. I didn’t see anyone hiding or not putting in sufficient effort, perhaps Lawrence at times, and Holmes who looks shot to me. I am just saying as a collective, in the attacking half of the field, a group of talented footballers looked Vauxhall Conference tonight. It was not good enough, and I don’t think it was a tactics problem either. The players were just so sloppy when it came to delivering the important balls .

I agree, I don't think it's an effort thing. This malaise comes from coaching, preparation and in-game management.

Archived