Sack cocu

dantheram

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

My point is that teams come up with squads full of League 1 and 2 calibre players, players with little to no Championship experience to speak of, and loan signings so low-profile that they would never be on our radar.

We have bemoaned our depleted squad. Don’t you think Coventry would love a player like Marshall, a player like Wisdom, a player like Forsyth, a player like Shinnie, highly rated young players from a youth set up that recently competed in the UEFA Youth League?

Lots and lots of players step up from League 1 and do well - Has Duane Holmes ever looked like a 'league 1 calibre player'?

I think almost any team who gains promotion from League 1 has shown they are too good for that level so suggesting their players are a quality level below the championship is an insult to them - And the value of actually having your first team available, whatever 'quality' level you randomly assign to them, is huge

I notice you pick out mostly our senior defensive players - The main problem we've had this season is not having access to our senior attacking talent...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to like Cocu

I admire his playing career

He must have been some player

His early management career is amazing

What a coup after Lampard to get this guy

But.....

When I watch his interviews I find myself wandering off to wash up or something

Does not inspire me at all - hope he does more to the players or maybe that is the problem.

I am still Cocu in at the moment though - COYR

3 hours ago, Dethorn said:

I really want to like Cocu

I admire his playing career

He must have been some player

His early management career is amazing

What a coup after Lampard to get this guy

But.....

When I watch his interviews I find myself wandering off to wash up or something

Does not inspire me at all - hope he does more to the players or maybe that is the problem.

I am still Cocu in at the moment though - COYR

I always found the inspire me thing correct he wouldn't make me want  to go out and do my all and snap someone's legs. He would be the type of guy I would want to read me a bed time story to make me go sleep at night. Id be asleep in couple of minutes 

25 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I always found the inspire me thing correct he wouldn't make me want  to go out and do my all and snap someone's legs. He would be the type of guy I would want to read me a bed time story to make me go sleep at night. Id be asleep in couple of minutes 

Exactly - might be a bit harsh lol - but the esseance of what I was trying to say in a nutszzzzzzz

4 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Do you think he talks to the players in the same way that he talks to the press?

8 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Do you think he talks to the players in the same way that he talks to the press?

Spot on ,,,, how do you keep the answers to the same inane questions over and over again twice a week sound interesting ,,,, the media part must be like pulling teeth for managers in today’s football world 

13 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Personally speaking, whenever a manager work wise comes across as intelligent and thoughtful in what he's asking I'll take his instructions on board and do my best to meet the common goal.

When they rant and rave, and chat obvious cliched nonsense I tend to do my own thing as I know better.

53 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Personally speaking, whenever a manager work wise comes across as intelligent and thoughtful in what he's asking I'll take his instructions on board and do my best to meet the common goal.

When they rant and rave, and chat obvious cliched nonsense I tend to do my own thing as I know better.

There does seem to be a fascination that football managers have to be all singing all dancing. I only have to hear 5 seconds of Dyche interview before his voice gets too much, I just see an angry man. Wilder? A bloke at the pub. Wenger? Benitez? 

There isn't such an obsession in other sports. As a professional athlete, your best should always be given, if you need an inspiration before each game I would say you aren't in the right job. 

That said, there is an art to getting players to perform above their level. But when we don't see what happens behind the scenes, how can we judge. Very few managers if any do I hear interviewed and think I would do anything for them.

The ability to handle the media work rates pretty low on the priorities when choosing a manager.

as ever the barometer is Cloughie.

He would answer one or two questions fairly briefly. Then he would start to fizz a bit. Finally he would explode and end the interview with a “and that’s the final question young man”. 
I really couldn’t be bothered to answer the sort of questions that would come from Ed Dawes, Colin Gibson or even the impeccably polite Chris coles.

man management is an altogether different skill. It was notable how frank would obsess over how players would think or react and how he would respond to that. similarly Roy Keane observed how brian Clough or alex Ferguson rarely commented regarding tactics but would know just what to say to the group.  I’m not sure that Cocu worries about that either.

that’s not a criticism btw.

I think he focuses on the task rather than the people.

10 hours ago, BondJovi said:

There does seem to be a fascination that football managers have to be all singing all dancing. I only have to hear 5 seconds of Dyche interview before his voice gets too much, I just see an angry man. Wilder? A bloke at the pub. Wenger? Benitez? 

There isn't such an obsession in other sports. As a professional athlete, your best should always be given, if you need an inspiration before each game I would say you aren't in the right job. 

That said, there is an art to getting players to perform above their level. But when we don't see what happens behind the scenes, how can we judge. Very few managers if any do I hear interviewed and think I would do anything for them.

Indeed. Calling for Cocu to go because of his demeanour is illogical. The ability to scream at players from the touchline is not a prerequisite for success. 

You can't judge a manager by any individual decision or trait. It's a complicated job and you have to judge on the overall performance. Cocu should be judged on performances and results, with available resources taken into account. 

I quite like Cocu's quiet, calm approach. But I don't like that the football is worse than any manager this century with exception of Clement, especially as Cocu has spent more than any other Derby manager with the exception of Clement. I'm also concerned that Cocu is currently in the lowest league position at this point of the season since Peter Taylor. We're actually one point ahead of the 83-84 team, but they won their 10th game. If we lose tonight it will be Derby's worst start to the season ever in the 2nd tier. 

In Cocu's favour is that we are unbeaten in three and have possibly played a few good teams recently. Still too little, too late IMO, but the next two games must surely be critical. Two wins and he'll get to limp on until January. Two losses and it must be the end. It has to be 4 points minimum. 

20 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Indeed. Calling for Cocu to go because of his demeanour is illogical. The ability to scream at players from the touchline is not a prerequisite for success. 

You can't judge a manager by any individual decision or trait. It's a complicated job and you have to judge on the overall performance. Cocu should be judged on performances and results, with available resources taken into account. 

I quite like Cocu's quiet, calm approach. But I don't like that the football is worse than any manager this century with exception of Clement, especially as Cocu has spent more than any other Derby manager with the exception of Clement. I'm also concerned that Cocu is currently in the lowest league position at this point of the season since Peter Taylor. We're actually one point ahead of the 83-84 team, but they won their 10th game. If we lose tonight it will be Derby's worst start to the season ever in the 2nd tier. 

In Cocu's favour is that we are unbeaten in three and have possibly played a few good teams recently. Still too little, too late IMO, but the next two games must surely be critical. Two wins and he'll get to limp on until January. Two losses and it must be the end. It has to be 4 points minimum. 

The difference is Paul Clement had us top of the league at Christmas 

14 hours ago, ossieram said:

On the sidelines we don't see any encouragement from cocu. He just sits there. Not saying he has to be jumping up and down all the time but this is the reason why people think he doesn't inspire the players.

19 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

I am not sure any manager would want you to do this to be honest.?

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Steve Mac 1 used to go and sit in the stand and talk to Simmo as he claimed that the higher vantage point allowed him to see what was going on better.

With his army of coaches, Cocu could do the same and just pop his head round the door at half time.......?

Archived