Sack cocu

dantheram

I am probably one of Cocu's biggest defenders but I'll fully admit I have a large bias towards him based on the dream scenario of he gets it right.

The long term vision of playing good possession football utilising a large amount of talented academy products to my view is a path that would lead us towards long term stable success and doing it in a way that's both appealing and easy to root for. And that is pretty much what Cocu built at PSV (before anyone starts with they played crap football, actually go watch a game from that time period).

Hes one of the few managers i can remember us having that is genuinely planning for and thinking about how to develop the club over multiple seasons. And I think you could see the idea albeit inconsistently in spells last season.

Even if his position becomes untenable, which I admit it definitely isn't far from right now, for me it will be a great shame. 

As an aside I think in the scenario where he goes, if we get the following appointment wrong we probably aren't getting out of the championship any time soon.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel incredibly sorry for Cocu tonight. He has had so many problems that were not of his making and now all the speculation in the press. I wouldn't want to do his job even with his pay. Yes he's got some things wrong and it would appear he's finding the Championship a real challenge but he doesn't deserve what's happening now.

I cannot believe I am the first person to revive this thread tonight.

Again I ask, have our expectations fallen so low that we’re no longer questioning the managers position when we’ve just drawn at home; 5 points in 8.

I’m going to recount a story. As I’m born and bred in East London (Raised a Derby fan via family connections) I remember well the 02/03 West Ham Premier League season.

Glen Roeder, another nice guy manager like Cocu, managed to get a team with the likes of David James, Defoe, Joe Cole, Kanoute, Di Canio, Lee Bowyer, Les Ferdinand relegated.

All along the ammers fans were saying they’re too good to go down and that Roeder was ‘turning a corner’.

This is sounding eerily familiar to me.

Whilst I accept that there are green shoots and tonight players like Buchanan, Knight and Jozzy excite me, we just need to be doing better.

Given the talent that we have in our team and the potential of the young-uns coming through, can we be certain that another manager would not be doing better?

Cocu seems a decent bloke and I may get some stick tonight, but I really think we need to reset the manager position before we do a West Ham.

I absolutely GUARANTEE that if we lose at the weekend (And I don’t want us to lose by the way) they’ll be plenty more on this thread calling for the chop from Mel.

1 minute ago, Birdyabroad said:

Again I ask, have our expectations fallen so low that we’re no longer questioning the managers position when we’ve just drawn at home; 5 points in 8.

I’m going to recount a story. As I’m born and bred in East London (Raised a Derby fan via family connections) I remember well the 02/03 West Ham Premier League season.

Glen Roeder, another nice guy manager like Cocu, managed to get a team with the likes of David James, Defoe, Joe Cole, Kanoute, Di Canio, Lee Bowyer, Les Ferdinand relegated.

All along the ammers fans were saying they’re too good to go down and that Roeder was ‘turning a corner’.

Whilst I accept that there are green shoots and tonight players like Buchanan, Knight and Jozzy excite me, we just need to be doing better.

Given the talent that we have in our team and the potential of the young-uns coming through, can we be certain that another manager would not be doing better?

Cocu seems a decent bloke and I may get some stick tonight, but I really think we need to reset the manager position before we do a West Ham.

I absolutely GUARANTEE that if we lose at the weekend (And I don’t want us to lose by the way) they’ll be plenty more on this thread calling for the chop from Mel.

Improving as the injured and unfit players are coming back. Tightened up at the back. Onwards and upwards.....

Scared Horror GIF

3 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

This. For me we were fairly dull. Bits of luck helped and another good freekick. But, meh...

I do think that our expectations are so low now that many are just shrugging their shoulders.

The forum is remarkably quiet for a team left in the bottom four of the championship.

I hope you are wrong on the Roeder comparison.

On 23/10/2020 at 16:47, RamNut said:

Borbokis.   Blatsis.  Bragstad.   Boertien

I never trusted defenders with names beginning with B after that. 

Boertien was alright for a price of about 300k. Blatsis and Bragstad came in at the same time . We actually raised our bid for Bragstad three times to fend of interest from other clubs unbelievably.   Remember seeing a huge cut out of Borbokis in a shop window in Cyprus dressed in rams shirt about 10 yrs after he left.  Very sun bleached and looking sorry for itself but probably better than the real thing.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I do think that our expectations are so low now that many are just shrugging their shoulders.

The forum is remarkably quiet for a team left in the bottom four of the championship.

Or perhaps people are just fed up with all the whining

I would think that Mel is already well aware of the feelings of many and even more aware of the financial implications of sacking Cocu and his team. I also suspect that he feels that we are making progress following the return of Waghorn and Lawrence, with Bielik, Rooney and Ibe to return in the next month.

With 38 games left to play, I hope that’s the case anyway?

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Think there must have been a secret meeting where 50% of the fans decided that they don't mind finishing bottom 8 and playing football that raises everyone's blood pressure. I wish I'd get to the stage where I'm shrugging shoulders, would make post match less traumatic.

10 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Didn’t roeder also miss games because he had a brain tumor....?

12 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I can.

Archived