Huddersfield v Derby County Tuesday 20th October

sage

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yep - Another reason Cocu needs to go. The decision to let JM go out on loan is catastrophic.

Its not the loaning out that is bothering me as much.

Not replacing him is absolutely disgraceful.

Rooney who's been playing in midfield is now all of a sudden a striker option. 

Waghorn hasn't kicked a ball in pre season and only just back training.

Kazim-Richards has been playing in Mexico and isn't match fit. These are the kind of players we are signing. 

Cocu would have known. One minor problem with Rooney in the next 2-3 weeks and we're in trouble.

How or why we have not replaced Marriott is absolutely beyond me and quite frankly disgraceful from the club.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Kazim-Richards has been playing in Mexico and isn't match fit. These are the kind of players we are signing. 

Cocu would have known. One minor problem with Rooney in the next 2-3 weeks and we're in trouble.

How or why we have not replaced Marriott is absolutely beyond me and quite frankly disgraceful from the club.

That's fair.

I liked jack when he first came. But he didn’t fit into the one striker team set up.

He couldn’t hold the ball.

i don’t think cocu wants him. The decision to extend his contract before sending him out could be a way to protect his value, or an indication that someone else disagrees.

i quite like the fact that cocu has stopped pussyfooting around and taken the gloves off. 

I’m yet to see anything from trialist that whets my wotsit but Whittaker should now get his chance, 

be brave Phil.
due to Rooney’s stupidity this is a gift. 

Just now, RamNut said:

I liked jack when he first came. But he didn’t fit into the one striker team set up.

He couldn’t hold the ball.

i don’t think cocu wants him. The decision to extend his contract before sending him out could be a way to protect his value, or an indication that someone else disagrees.

i quite like the fact that cocu has stopped pussyfooting around and taken the gloves off. 

I’m yet to see anything from trialist that whets my wotsit but Whittaker should now get his chance, 

be brave Phil.
due to Rooney’s stupidity this is a gift. 

Whittaker isn't a central striker though, and never played there for the youth teams either - as much as I agree he should be given more time playing. This is JHI's time to be given a go rather than 10mins from the bench. We need the pace and mobility to disrupt teams as playing so slowly without players of a good enough technical quality to beat their man is so easy to defend.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Whittaker isn't a central striker though, and never played there for the youth teams either - as much as I agree he should be given more time playing. This is JHI's time to be given a go rather than 10mins from the bench. We need the pace and mobility to disrupt teams as playing so slowly without players of a good enough technical quality to beat their man is so easy to defend.

I agree that Whittaker ain't central striker, not alone at least. But I'm absolutely sure he has played upfront with u23.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Whittaker isn't a central striker though,

I think he is long term. He was just too lightweight and therefore got shoved out wide. But he’s looking a bit stronger. 

should’ve signed Kyle wootton like @Curtains suggested.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Half of his games in the 18/19 U18 title winning season were at CF (when Stretton was out injured). He played a few games there the season before as well

Cocu: So, should we loan Marriott out?

Pearce: Absolutely. The wage bill is still too high.

Mel: Totally agree.

Cocu: And what about a replacement?

Pearce: Not necessary. We’ve got England’s record goalscorer on the books.

Mel: Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!

Twan: But what if...?

Chris VdW: But shouldn’t we be prepared for the worst? Look at the last 12 months.

Pearce, Mel, Cocu in unison: Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!

Waghorn (who was eavesdropping outside): Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!

Twan: *rolls eyes*

Chris VdW: *shakes head*

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

You don't rate Duncan then?

Ok, so not fit yet, but we need a longer term view than 2-3 weeks.

We're not Chelsea, we cannot afford to bring in players to cover short periods or possible events.

37 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Cocu: So, should we loan Marriott out?

Pearce: Absolutely. The wage bill is still too high.

Mel: Totally agree.

Cocu: And what about a replacement?

Pearce: Not necessary. We’ve got England’s record goalscorer on the books.

Twan: But what if...?

Chris VdW: But shouldn’t we be prepared for the worst? Look at the last 12 months.

Pearce, Mel, Cocu in unison: Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!

Waghorn (who was eavesdropping outside): Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!

Twan: *rolls eyes*

Chris VdW: *shakes head*

Duncan: "Hungry"

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I feel Cocu is going to start JHI for this one. Very excited to see him get a chance from the start, I really hope he can make an impact and stake a claim for a spot that's wide open for him this season. 

Thought this was interesting, probably explains why he wasn't involved early on this season

I'm all for JHI getting a start.

Myself and others get shot down when we suggest Whittaker at CF; but maybe try him for half hour at the end of a game.

Hopefully, Duncan will be fit soon but, from the little I know (and it is a little), he is the kind of striker - like Marriott- that would be better in a front two, feeding off a big man.

My question for those that watch more academy games than me....

Why doesn't Stretton ever get a mention in these discussions?

Is it clear that he isn't ready?

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Duncan: "Hungry"

To be fair, I don’t think anyone would be upset at seeing Duncan or Hector Ingram given their shot under ordinary circumstances.

If they were coming into a confident and flowing team that was getting results, no problem. 

I think the concern that people have is that we are on a particularly poor run of form and desperate for any kind of result to stop the rot.

This is where you would want to turn to your experienced players to dig you out of a hole. 

Introducing Duncan or JHI at this point could do more harm than good for their confidence and their prospects.

29 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I think I am missing something. Every time I mention Duncan having a go its shot down. Is there a reason I am not aware of that he cant even make the bench tomorrow? Even if not match fit, surely someone that young can come on and run around for 10 minutes?! 

If we only want someone to run around for 10 minutes then that would surely be Kazim-Richards, given he was signed for the first team. Trialist had a solid season last year for the U23s and has earned the right to play ahead of Duncan. Stretton has also shown he's a goal scorer every season, no matter what level he's played at - he's also started off this season very well. it could be argued he's also earned the right to be given a chance.

Duncan hasn't even played a single game for us yet so should be viewed as currently being behind the 3 listed above for this game.

Archived