How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I have to say in Cocu’s defense is that he is used to dutch football, where even the keeper wants to score goals, and his possesion football might have been useful in a situation like that, sadly it has proven completely worthless in this league, and he should have figured that out by now.

I also recall him saying that «a new forward is not top priority» (this was in the beginning of the transfer window).

He should swallow those words along the contract he was given.

I found it quite interesting in Rosenior's interview that he said he Cocu and the staff wanted success for the football club, and he hopes the players do too. Hopes? That to me was a slip of the tongue, if he hopes they do then thats not good at all, it should be unquestionable and evident.

As woeful as his tenure has been this season, the players are definitely not playing for Cocu. 

1 minute ago, goldstar said:

I found it quite interesting in Rosenior's interview that he said he Cocu and the staff wanted success for the football club, and he hopes the players do too. Hopes? That to me was a slip of the tongue, if he hopes they do then thats not good at all, it should be unquestionable and evident.

As woeful as his tenure has been this season, the players are definitely not playing for Cocu. 

The most interesting part of that interview for me was the last bit, where he says something along the lines of that he "hopes" they will be given time to turn things around.

Suggests to me that they are not sure they (as staff) will be in the job much longer. 

Just now, goldstar said:

And who’s fault is that ?

pehaps they don’t buy into his tedious slow paced tactically naive football that doesn’t work at this level ?

can’t really blame them can u ?

10 minutes ago, Jack Willow said:

I'd say his time is up.

It's pointless to continue further with him at the wheel.

The sooner it's over, the better for the club.

The main obstacle will be his supposed salary 90.000£ per week + the salary of his assistants.

90k a week ?

u sure ???

i ducking hope not 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The most interesting part of that interview for me was the last bit, where he says something along the lines of that he "hopes" they will be given time to turn things around.

Suggests to me that they are not sure they (as staff) will be in the job much longer. 

Yeah it does, sounds to me like he's almost stepping forward to say 'hey i still want to be part of the staff even if Cocu goes'. 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

90k a week ?

u sure ???

i ducking hope not 

I’ve read to cut ties now with PC and the gang will cost us £4M. 

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

And who’s fault is that ?

pehaps they don’t buy into his tedious slow paced tactically naive football that doesn’t work at this level ?

can’t really blame them can u ?

On the one hand no as it's horrible football, but they're playing for the fans, the fans are paying higher and higher amounts every year to follow the club, and to disrespect them that much by downing tools is wrong. Do your discussions and protests off the pitch, do your job on it. 

I don't think we can justify giving him any more time. He lost @angieram and all but the final 10% of fans after QPR. Myself and the final few fans were willing to give today's performance a final opportunity to keep him on the payroll. Unfortunately, I think we're now down to fewer than 100 Derby fans in favour of keeping Cocu in the job. Mel or our new UAE owner surely only have one option infront of them...

10 minutes ago, goldstar said:

On the one hand no as it's horrible football, but they're playing for the fans, the fans are paying higher and higher amounts every year to follow the club, and to disrespect them that much by downing tools is wrong. Do your discussions and protests off the pitch, do your job on it. 

They have to play to his requests and style though... or they don’t get in the team 

Take their first goal today.... Marshall ... probably under most managers ushers everyone up the pitch and bangs one as far as he can muster for us to go contest it

under instructions he’s tasked with getting the ball to one of the centre halves or fullback to try and play out 

now I’m not blaming cocu for Marshall’s poor pass ... but Marshall is doing what he’s being instructed to do 

the same can be said for a lot of the goals we’ve conceded under cocu ... players trying to play their way out of situations under the instruction of how cocu wants us to play 

some Of the time it’s come off, but sometimes it doesn’t and more often than not it’s costing us

It’s cocus job as manager to get the team playing to its strengths and it still seems he hasn’t realised that the players he has simply don’t have the ability to consistently execute what he would like... it’s cost us points numerous timed over and I’m hoping now , sadly his job  

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we can justify giving him any more time. He lost @angieram and all but the final 10% of fans after QPR. Myself and the final few fans were willing to give today's performance a final opportunity to keep him on the payroll. Unfortunately, I think we're now down to fewer than 100 Derby fans in favour of keeping Cocu in the job. Mel or our new UAE owner surely only have one option infront of them...

I’m making no bones that I want him gone and have done for a couple of months now 

but take absolutely No joy from it whatsoever 

I wanted him to succeed like everyone here I’m sure, but we can’t just flog a dead horse

for me his start of the season attempt to recreate the lifeless midfield two of Huddlestone and dowell with Rooney and bird was a real wtf moment tbh  

This shouldn’t even be a question anymore and I’m fairly certain by the time we play again Cocu will be gone.

The next question is who do we bring in...someone until the end of the season to keep us up or do we try again on a long term contract. 

The rot needs stopping ASAP. The immediate legacy of the Billy/Jewell relegation season was the engrained “loser” mentality that took ages to overcome afterwards. The longer this goes on for the longer it’s going to take to turn around.

The only saving grace is that the fans are absent from the games at the moment. Previously these levels of abject ineptitude haven’t been appreciated and fans haven’t exactly been shy about letting their feelings be known. If the teams this poor now I wouldn’t want to think how bad they’d be with the crowd on their back as well.

Like many I’ve wanted this to work, but it’s abundantly clear that it’s not and with the last two games I’m afraid we’re now well past the point of no return. Can only see things getting worse from here unless changes are made.

Archived