How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Totally agree with this. There's a minority of 'Cocu Out' posters who are bordering on spamming.

Quite telling that there's been no 'Cocu Out' poll in the last couple of days. I suspect those who want a managerial change are well aware of the general feeling of the fanbase & are block posting to 'set the agenda'.

Its also much easier to be destructive than constructive. Have seen very little comment on what line up (given the current limitations) would get us results or what specifically needs to change from a tactical point of view - quite surprising given the tidal wave of complaints about style.

I'll have what your on mate.

But on a serious note, I think your wrong and I find it absurd that you think there is a "so called" agenda from a small few want Cocu out, and as a consequence are invading the forum, flooding it with negative Cocu out posts. Talk about conspiracies, it is ludicrous. I think that it is more likely that a few hardcore elements from each camp (out and in) that keep posting the same things, and thus give the impression of a 50/50 split. I would wager that most fans would give Cocu more time, but that time is running out and rightly so based on performance and results.

Fans are not daft, and most can tell that what is on offer at the moment is no where near good enough. I also feel that most level headed fans are willing to give Philip some more time, but improvement must happen soon, because no matter how much you, we or I like the bloke, football is a results based business, and currently results are not good enough.

I hope Cocu can turn things around, I really do, and hopefully that will start on Tuesday against Huddersfield.

COYR!

2 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I'll have what your on mate.

But on a serious note, I think your wrong and I find it absurd that you think there is a "so called" agenda from a small few want Cocu out, and as a consequence are invading the forum, flooding it with negative Cocu out posts. Talk about conspiracies, it is ludicrous. I think that it is more likely that a few hardcore elements from each camp (out and in) that keep posting the same things, and thus give the impression of a 50/50 split. I would wager that most fans would give Cocu more time, but that time is running out and rightly so based on performance and results.

Fans are not daft, and most can tell that what is on offer at the moment is no where near good enough. I also feel that most level headed fans are willing to give Philip some more time, but improvement must happen soon, because no matter how much you, we or I like the bloke, football is a results based business, and currently results are not good enough.

I hope Cocu can turn things around, I really do, and hopefully that will start on Tuesday against Huddersfield.

COYR!

Given the amount of folk seemingly agreeing with my post, looks like your little rant is misplaced. Also theres no such thing as hardcore 'Cocu in'...the threads are split into those who want him out now & those who want to give him time, some vocal but most (as you say yourself) level headed fans wanting to stick with it for the time being.

Dont believe me? Ask the mods for a list of posters with the highest post count in the relevant threads over the past 3 days & prove otherwise ?

So 8 PL games over weekend, looking at the teams and judging players as defensive or attacking I get the following:

Everton - 5 Defenders, 5 Attackers

Liverpool - 6 Defenders, 4 Attackers (Although Henderson played offensively and should have had a goal allowed!)

Chelsea - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Again, Kante plays advanced now)

Southampton - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Man City - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers 

Arsenal - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Newcastle - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Man Utd - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Fred counted as defensive)

Sheff Utd - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Fulham - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Palace - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Brighton - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Although Lamptey basically plays as a winger)

Spurs - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Although Sissoko, Reguillon and Aurier get forward a lot)

West Ham - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Leicester - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Villa - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

AND then Derby County at home to a second rate Watford team:

7 DEFENDERS and 3 ATTACKERS

Seriously, its painful, frustrating, negative and doesn't win games!!!

Teams in the PL are finally waking up. Maybe its the lack of grounds means teams are going for it more? Southampton started with Walcott, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Ings and Adams all on the pitch away at Chelsea. You play these players then they will have a mentality to score goals and get forward. (Romeu was the holding player) Even their full backs work Walker-Peters and Bertrand.

We play Shinnie and Bird AND 3 Centre backs, the mentality is only going to be to sit back. These players don't have a 'Get in the box' attitude.

I'm sorry but since day one, Cocu has sat back and taken a risk averse mentality.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So 8 PL games over weekend, looking at the teams and judging players as defensive or attacking I get the following:

Everton - 5 Defenders, 5 Attackers

Liverpool - 6 Defenders, 4 Attackers (Although Henderson played offensively and should have had a goal allowed!)

Chelsea - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Again, Kante plays advanced now)

Southampton - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Man City - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers 

Arsenal - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Newcastle - 5 defenders, 5 attackers

Man Utd - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Fred counted as defensive)

Sheff Utd - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Fulham - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Palace - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Brighton - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Although Lamptey basically plays as a winger)

Spurs - 6 Defenders, 4 attackers (Although Sissoko, Reguillon and Aurier get forward a lot)

West Ham - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Leicester - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

Villa - 5 Defenders, 5 attackers

AND then Derby County at home to a second rate Watford team:

7 DEFENDERS and 3 ATTACKERS

Seriously, its painful, frustrating, negative and doesn't win games!!!

Teams in the PL are finally waking up. Maybe its the lack of grounds means teams are going for it more? Southampton started with Walcott, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Ings and Adams all on the pitch away at Chelsea. You play these players then they will have a mentality to score goals and get forward. (Romeu was the holding player) Even their full backs work Walker-Peters and Bertrand.

We play Shinnie and Bird AND 3 Centre backs, the mentality is only going to be to sit back. These players don't have a 'Get in the box' attitude.

I'm sorry but since day one, Cocu has sat back and taken a risk averse mentality.

ffs what part of all our forwards are injured don't you understand. 

With all the rubbish happening in the world, keep him for as long as we can for much need stability. Do we really want to see a promotion winning season without supporters? No. Are we going to be relegated? No. Steady the ship and hopefully the team will to start scoring goals. I have no expectations, I'm not fussed with a behind closed doors season. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

ffs what part of all our forwards are injured don't you understand. 

FFS - Mentality/Tactics. What bit about that don't you get?

Knight, Rooney, Holmes, Whittaker, JHI could all have started. Hell, I would even have given TL 50-60 minutes. If you are fit enough to be on a bench, I think you're good enough for 60 minutes on the pitch.

So what would I have done given the players in that squad - probably this:

Bird and Rooney deeper, TL left, Knight middle, Holmes on the right, JHI up top. (Whittaker on for TL around 60)

He could have not let Marriott go, so that's on him as well but even given that, he could have played those players and had a better attacking mentality. I've slated Whittaker in the past, but him and Knight are the two players who have come out this season with a desire and drive to try and move the team up the pitch.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

FFS - Mentality/Tactics. What bit about that don't you get?

Knight, Rooney, Holmes, Whittaker, JHI could all have started. Hell, I would even have given TL 50-60 minutes. If you are fit enough to be on a bench, I think you're good enough for 60 minutes on the pitch.

So what would I have done given the players in that squad - probably this:

Bird and Rooney deeper, TL left, Knight middle, Holmes on the right, JHI up top. (Whittaker on for TL around 60)

He could have not let Marriott go, so that's on him as well but even given that, he could have played those players and had a better attacking mentality. I've slated Whittaker in the past, but him and Knight are the two players who have come out this season with a desire and drive to try and move the team up the pitch.

Wow. Didn't realise you were a physio and a great coach.

Do you not think if Rooney had played in Shinnie's position he would be any more attacking in open play?

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Jozwiak? Ibe? 

Last season was a squad of randomly assembled players by 3/4 different managers - With which Cocu did what he could amongst random and slightly bonkers off field stuff

With the departure of Marriott on loan we're (arguably) down to a squad of players Cocu has found uses for - I don't believe it's close to a 'finished' squad but it's forming up - Now we need to get them fit and working together

I keep trying to point this out - Our attackers haven't had a pre-season - None of our senior attackers have had ANY practice time together - Generally pre-season is the time for fitness but also for learning how to play together, learning a new style, learning what the manager and coaches want from you - Cocu didn't get that last season and hasn't really this season - What with half of our senior players being injured

It's gonna take time to bed in but once we have the likes of Lawrence, Ibe and Jozwiak fit we'll be a different side - Because we'll have actual forwards...

My thoughts exactly.  Even Lawrence's cameo against Watford showed me what one of our senior players coming back gives us. Yes it's depressing but I am seeing improvements. Call me deluded (open invite there I guess) but I thought some of our play against Watford was pretty good.  Rooney should have scored. Lawrence could have.  And yes, I know it looked sparse in the final third. We still have 40 odd games left.  Said it before. Get Lawrence, Ibe, Jozwiak, Waggy, Bielik fit & out there, plus even Duncan post Xmas then we should judge based on Cocu's team.  And we need to see what Kazim brings before we right him off as past it.  Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will Derby be.....

...especially if Rooney keeps buying watches. 

26 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

My thoughts exactly.  Even Lawrence's cameo against Watford showed me what one of our senior players coming back gives us. Yes it's depressing but I am seeing improvements.

This is it for me

Has the start to the season been fun? No

Has the start to the season been good? No

Does that mean we need to start ringing the alarm bells and raising a panic? No

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/teams

Think everyone should check out our squad every now and then - We're struggling for goals - Under "Forwards" we have listed:

Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waggers, Ibe, Kazim-Richards, Whiattker

So we started the season with 1 (not senior)

We currently have 2 fit (1 senior and 1 not) and 2 fit-ish (training but not match)

Is it any wonder we're struggling for goals when all our forwards are out?

Archived