How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Ok I'd classify 4th from bottom definite relegation territory but yes let's see what transpires ?

I'm hardly claiming we're brilliant, I'm just more worrying about confidence than points on the board at the minute, not sure why you're jumping on that post. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But they haven't done since they left us? 

As for affecting the mindset of ...

Oh dear. Well perhaps all will be well if you stick your fingers in your ears and just not listen to them! Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to what is a suitable topic for the sensitive amongst us?

What an ill though out throw away comment. Is dislike that blind!!

Person - Watford relegated until he took over. Leads them to security and quite incredible is sacked costing them relegation.

Rowett - Stoke - Left them in a significantly better position that ne inherited, but hay ho - the supporters didn't like the style of play . Where have we heard that!

Clough - Sheff Utd - Two Wembley appearances - Semi Final of League Cup and missed out in the play offs. Kept Burton Albion in the Championship on a National League budget. They would probably still be in the Championship only for the tragic injury to post card signing Liam Boyce.

Believe me I am listening which is why I have posted again. The post was simply to highlight the fact that we have supporters embedded in the fantasy that everything is a quick fix. This is not the case. All I ask is that we give Cocu, a proven manger, the time to see the job through. Haven't we learnt anything from our history?

15 minutes ago, Pearson. said:

Person - Watford relegated until he took over. Leads them to security and quite incredible is sacked costing them relegation.

Rowett - Stoke - Left them in a significantly better position that ne inherited, but hay ho - the supporters didn't like the style of play . Where have we heard that!

Clough - Sheff Utd - Two Wembley appearances - Semi Final of League Cup and missed out in the play offs. Kept Burton Albion in the Championship on a National League budget. They would probably still be in the Championship only for the tragic injury to post card signing Liam Boyce.

Believe me I am listening which is why I have posted again.

Pearson - what? Where is he now?

Rowett - doing okay at Millwall

Clough - where?

?

23 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think November and early December presents an opportunity for us to pick up.

QPR, Barnsley, Wycombe and Coventry at home and Middlesbrough and Millwall away are all games we have a decent chance of winning and games you would earmark as ones to get us back on track. The trouble is, the longer this run continues, the harder even those games start to become.

Will Cocu be here to lead the winter revival? I am really not sure. I find it more likely that it’ll be an opportunity for a new manager bounce.

I don’t understand people saying that he deserves a full season irrespective of what happens.

You would think they had been on the Moon for 20 years and had no understanding of the pressures of the Championship and how long managers typically last.

Reputations and projects get thrown out of the window if you continue losing games and can’t arrest a slide.

The next four games are looking tougher by the day, with Huddersfield and Forest picking up big, morale-boosting wins today, Bournemouth unbeaten so far this season, and Cardiff also unbeaten away from home.

If we were to lose the next four, we’d have lost 8 out of 9 games and we would have 12 defeats in our last 15 league games dating back to July.

Bear in mind we lost 16 league games out of 46 last season - so we would already be halfway to that total. Bear in mind we would have just 3 points from a possible 27 - potentially our worst start to a league season in living memory.

Remarkably, we would have fewer points after nine games than we did at the same stage during that season - just to underline how bad things could get!

At the end of the day, people can say give him time, but with each defeat, it becomes the kind of slump that looks harder and harder to reverse and harder and harder for Mel to ignore.

Let’s not forget this is the same Mel who twice sacked a manager who finished 3rd, 8th and turned around a season that many thought was heading towards relegation to League One. This is the same Mel who sacked a manager who was 5th in January.

Mel may have changed. Mel may have learnt some lessons. Mel might have grown more patient. But even Mel 2.0 will know that the current run we’re on is entering the territory of being indefensible.

Outer Space Thumbs Up GIF by NASA

41 minutes ago, Pearson. said:

Believe me I am listening which is why I have posted again. The post was simply to highlight the fact that we have supporters embedded in the fantasy that everything is a quick fix. This is not the case. All I ask is that we give Cocu, a proven manger, the time to see the job through. Haven't we learnt anything from our history?

Is it not? For every coach example you can give me that started slow and improved, I can give you one that took the reigns and immediately got a team challenging. 

I'm just not feeling it.

Is anyone feeling it really? Are we excited to get these players fit for Cocu so he can unleash his brand of football on the Championship and take us up?

I'm not sure either way. But with Rooney, the heir presumptive, seemingly chomping at the bit of his managerial bridle... 

I think I'd like to hand him the reigns now.

On 16/10/2020 at 22:31, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought that was a good performance, I thought we were the better team, but we clearly lacked anything up front.

The fact we have only scored 1 goal from open play in 7 competitive games, as well as 3 or 4 friendlies should have everyone worried, a goal scoring striker should have been an absolute priority.

People calling Cocu for our transfer activity clearly have no idea how things work at our club, our recruitment team are an absolute shambles and have severely let Cocu down this season.

I kind of feel that is over stating it. Absolutely agree the hunt for a true No 9 hasn’t gone well, but we have signed some real class on the flanks where we have been very short handed for a long time. Clarke came back which is a big plus, and obviously there was a lot of effort put in to find a striker, none of which paid off but it’s a tricky time; our CV and wealth isn’t the best draw at present. I’d say the recruitment dropped one on the striker,  but scored some good ones elsewhere. Cocu must be frustrated but that goes with the job. Anyway, who knows, Buchanan, JHI may now get earlier opportunities to show their metal. .. I am not down hearted or feeling critical at all.... hey, I may not feel the same in 4 / 5 weeks time but we do need some perspective to go with some patience. 

2 hours ago, Pearson. said:

Rowett took a fantastic stoke squad at this level and had them lower mid table

15 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Maybe, but they were fit last season and the football was still slow and boring.

Jozwiak? Ibe? 

Last season was a squad of randomly assembled players by 3/4 different managers - With which Cocu did what he could amongst random and slightly bonkers off field stuff

With the departure of Marriott on loan we're (arguably) down to a squad of players Cocu has found uses for - I don't believe it's close to a 'finished' squad but it's forming up - Now we need to get them fit and working together

I keep trying to point this out - Our attackers haven't had a pre-season - None of our senior attackers have had ANY practice time together - Generally pre-season is the time for fitness but also for learning how to play together, learning a new style, learning what the manager and coaches want from you - Cocu didn't get that last season and hasn't really this season - What with half of our senior players being injured

It's gonna take time to bed in but once we have the likes of Lawrence, Ibe and Jozwiak fit we'll be a different side - Because we'll have actual forwards...

10 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Rowett took a fantastic stoke squad at this level and had them lower mid table

So did several other managers. I guess that stoke squad wasn’t as good as people thought.

Archived