How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Just get off his case until after Forest and then see where we are .

Do you think he's reading this forum then? What difference will it make whether I and others discuss our mis-givings about Cocu. If you don't like the questioning of Cocu's competency don't read it?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think he's reading this forum then? What difference will it make whether I and others discuss our mis-givings about Cocu. If you don't like the questioning of Cocu's competency don't read it?

Of course the Manager and staff and players see this forum it would be naive to think anything else. 

I believe MM also reads it. 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Of course the Manager and staff and players see this forum it would be naive to think anything else. 

I believe MM also reads it. 

If Mel reads it that's fine he must feel terribly down with the team at present. 

Mel said one word when interviewed on the TV the other day we are not panicking or thinking about the pressure on Phil YET!!

1 minute ago, Ramfan1958 said:

If Mel reads it that's fine he must feel terribly down with the team at present. 

Mel said one word when interviewed on the TV the other day we are not panicking or thinking about the pressure on Phil YET!!

You need to wait and see lol 

0AF9562C-D64E-4772-8491-45E164F939DB.jpeg

I originally thought last season was the big clear out and then transition, so that by now we would start to see "the plan" emerging.

Its taking longer than that and I think personally that there are a couple of factors I hadn't fully thought through....

- the finances look to have taken a big turn for the worse

- we couldn't actually shift some of the players we wanted to last season and have had to let contracts expire

- the p&s manoeuvres which, quite apart from Mel's spending plans  have scuppered us further.

We noted  last season how long it took for the players to adapt and sadly it seems we have more or less repeat that with a new set.

My worry is that we are sufficiently cash strapped that we have to make cheap, but high risk signings like Ibe. If these don't come off then we get caught in a repeating cycle of get rid, find cheap alternatives, train them in philips style.

We have a contention between a fairly sophisticated manager, a hurly-burly league and generally quite unintelligent players......have to give him the season and then take stock for me.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Let’s not personalise this. It isn’t about any sort of vendetta. It’s about seeing “our” Club be successful and competing at the level the Club should be competing at. There’s no divine right in football but things are not right. Ok we’re in transition but many of us don’t see any kind of positive progression in either performances or results and projecting forward none seems to be on the horizon. 

..and many of you had completely written your script months ago so just as long as the result isn't positive, no matter what actually happens on the pitch during a game, no matter the reasons for it or circumstance around it you'll trot out the same rote, copied and pasted statements of 'fact' about how we played, and how we want to play.

The reality of our situation is often noted in passing, but ignored in the next breath as irrelevant so you can drone on about the football being crap, boring, defensive and having no intent to attack, even in matches where we created enough good chances to have won the game, or conceded goals on the counter because we'd attemtped to play higher up the pitch.

None of those chances went in though, so they didn't happen and don't count as attacking play.

If many of you can't 'project foward' and see how a general increase in the quality & availability of our attacking options results in better performances and results, and when looking back refuse to acknowlede any of the positive performances & results from late December to the end of June, then write them off as being nothing to do with the manager anyway, then really that says more about you than it does anyone else.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Granted it takes a lot more effort to find than it should, but some have totally given up looking. They haven't given up bloody criticising and twisting everthing against the manager though, that's clearly a much more enjoyable hobby.

Thankfully there are at least as many people who, while they remain unconvinced which is their prerogative, are still able to analyse the match and the performance and pick out the positives, talk about and appreciate the intent behind the tactical decisions and such, but many of you made your minds up over a year ago and nothing will change it.

The manager gets all sorts of abuse about having a negative approach and mentality, I'd suggest a few of the people coming out with that try looking in the mirror once in while, because boring and negative isn't even the half of it.

This may have been said before  but if Sheff Wed catch us up i think that would be the time to say thanks but its not working Phil, i think if my memory is correct they are only 8pts behind so in the next 3/5 games we should know if he is up to the challenge  that the rigours of championship football brings.

3 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

This may have been said before  but if Sheff Wed catch us up i think that would be the time to say thanks but its not working Phil, i think if my memory is correct they are only 8pts behind so in the next 3/5 games we should know if he is up to the challenge  that the rigours of championship football brings.

7 pts behind but that being pedantic sorry

5 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

But all the injured players and signings who are not yet match ready will not have had the chance to make an impact. Christmas will be a better time to judge where we stand...

7 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

Sheff Weds' results should have absolutely no bearing on discussions about Derby County or decisons made.

It's totally irrelevant.

You might as well say that is Sheff Weds finish the season in the play-offs every team from 7th-24th should immediately sack their manager.

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

First 10 league games - any manager should get that as a bare minimum.

10 games - Xmas - show improvement, tactics, win a few, demonstrate progress.

Xmas - end of season - get in and around top 10, have some good games, clear sign of THE PLAN

If he doesn't meet those milestones, there are questions to be answered, however none of that matters if we can't afford to sack him and there is nobody better to come in.

Evaluate after game 10.

Isnt this what Cocu had all of last season for?

11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

..and many of you had completely written your script months ago so just as long as the result isn't positive, no matter what actually happens on the pitch during a game, no matter the reasons for it or circumstance around it you'll trot out the same rote, copied and pasted statements of 'fact' about how we played, and how we want to play.

The reality of our situation is often noted in passing, but ignored in the next breath as irrelevant so you can drone on about the football being crap, boring, defensive and having no intent to attack, even in matches where we created enough good chances to have won the game, or conceded goals on the counter because we'd attemtped to play higher up the pitch.

None of those chances went in though, so they didn't happen and don't count as attacking play.

If many of you can't 'project foward' and see how a general increase in the quality & availability of our attacking options results in better performances and results, and when looking back refuse to acknowlede any of the positive performances & results from late December to the end of June, then write them off as being nothing to do with the manager anyway, then really that says more about you than it does anyone else.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Granted it takes a lot more effort to find than it should, but some have totally given up looking. They haven't given up bloody criticising and twisting everthing against the manager though, that's clearly a much more enjoyable hobby.

Thankfully there are at least as many people who, while they remain unconvinced which is their prerogative, are still able to analyse the match and the performance and pick out the positives, talk about and appreciate the intent behind the tactical decisions and such, but many of you made your minds up over a year ago and nothing will change it.

The manager gets all sorts of abuse about having a negative approach and mentality, I'd suggest a few of the people coming out with that try looking in the mirror once in while, because boring and negative isn't even the half of it.

Every group has its Eeyores.

Reading this forum makes me think that Derby has more than most. 

But I think probably every club feels like that. Ever sat with the home fans at White Hart Lane? Terrible moaners.

16 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Sheff Weds' results should have absolutely no bearing on discussions about Derby County or decisons made.

It's totally irrelevant.

You might as well say that is Sheff Weds finish the season in the play-offs every team from 7th-24th should immediately sack their manager.

Any manager that lets his team be caught by a team starting on minus twelve in possibly eight games should be asked .

questions

Archived