Positivity?

RoyMac5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be honest all I've done is watched a highlights clip but having watched it the body language of the players is awfull including rooney .they seem to be going through the motions and not believing in what there doing this and the fact we didnt have a proper striker through the door spells relegation . I'm sorry but cocu time is up . 

Just now, NottsRammy said:

Going to be honest all I've done is watched a highlights clip but having watched it the body language of the players is awfull including rooney .they seem to be going through the motions and not believing in what there doing this and the fact we dint have a proper striker through the door spells relegation . I'm sorry but cocu time is up . 

I understand what you are saying but I think things will look a lot different when we have the injured players back and new signings fit. Then will be the time to judge.

We had to stop the rot. We were too easy to play against and looked like we would concede every attack. Big improvements in that regard last two games. We’ve played two decent teams and deserved something from both, we haven’t created many chances but neither have they. We created several chances against Blackburn and lost 4-0.

Now the defensive structure looks sorted as players come back we’ve now got to work on shifting the balance so we have more in attack. Lawrence showed what a difference we can make and we have other good players to come in, Knight as people have said gets better every game, Duane showed some signs of returning to form yesterday as well. 

Let’s see what happens in the next 6 games before the international break and where we’re at. Clearly if we lose a big chunk of those then pressure will mount on Cocu. Everyone knows right now we need to improve. We’ve been here before under Cocu and we did improve so to say this year will be a long relegation battle is extremely hasty IMO.

22 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've given this a 'like' as it's almost not completely miserable.

With the best will in the world though It’s hard to get upbeat over your side that have 4 defeats in 5 now is it and mustered one goal ... and nearly as many efforts on goal in those games 

Within that we’ve had one unlucky defeat, one equally lucky win and 3 games where we’ve simply been second best 

All we can do is wait and see what happens when Waghorn, Bielik, Ibe and Sibley are fit.

I still have my doubts that Phil marched into Mel’s Office and insisted that we get rid of Martin and Marriott at all costs, even if there were no replacement(s). I suspect finance is the most important issue at the Club now and that leaves us short of talent, particularly upfront. 

I don’t envy management’s job. With the players available so far this season, I doubt anyone would have had us playing free flowing football and scoring goals for fun. 

Being a realist has always been a problem for me?

5 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

All we can do is wait and see what happens when Waghorn, Bielik, Ibe and Sibley are fit.

I still have my doubts that Phil marched into Mel’s Office and insisted that we get rid of Martin and Marriott at all costs, even if there were no replacement(s). I suspect finance is the most important issue at the Club now and that leaves us short of talent, particularly upfront. 

I don’t envy management’s job. With the players available so far this season, I doubt anyone would have had us playing free flowing football and scoring goals for fun. 

Being a realist has always been a problem for me?

Nothing wrong with a bit of pragmatism Bob ?

If one looks at the match stats, we were the better side, more shots, 1 each on target, more posession, better pass accuracy, etc etc, yes, before someone says it, possession etc means nothing if u do nothing with it, but, the last 2 games have been against recent prem sides, and we have no real recognized striker on the pitch (dont say Rooney, what he was is what he was), we need to engage brain and think, Who or what would a new manager appointed next week play up front... until we have options, theres no point sacking Cocu. I'm sure he desperately wanted to get his man in, but whoever negotiates couldn't get it done ? much to everyone's disappointment 

At the moment I’m feeling the same about our next game as I would about an impending trip to the dentist for a check up. Best I can hope for is nothing happens but it will more likely result in some pain. 
Pre his appointment I had no knowledge of Cocu’s style as a manager but now I do I find it’s not to my taste. Very bland and unexciting. If only he had the same effect on the opposition as he does  on me we could nick a goal or two when they drifted off. 

2 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Going to be honest all I've done is watched a highlights clip but having watched it the body language of the players is awfull including rooney .they seem to be going through the motions and not believing in what there doing this and the fact we didnt have a proper striker through the door spells relegation . I'm sorry but cocu time is up . 

Watched the whole game, no issue with body language, the players worked hard, including a Rooney. On another day we draw or scrape a win.  

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

In Holland with with good players not the championship without a forward line. We scored 2 goals in the last 7 games, and we’ve let our best two forwards leave. Please tell me why you think we’ll see anything similar at Derby to a +247 GD?

I'm not claiming we will ever be that powerful in the Championship but you've answered your own question, Cocu can only do what he can with the players at his disposal. We've had to cut costs in this transfer window but have still brought in Jóźwiak, Ibe, Duncan and have been missing Waghorn, Lawrence, Sibley, Holmes to an extent. Have them all fit and firing and we'll be okay.

Martin was good for us but we can't afford to keep him, no matter how many times this has to be repeated people still don't get it. I like Marriott but he has been awful in this side for a long time and I can understand why Cocu has decided he needs a change of scenery and we need to go down a different route.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I'm not claiming we will ever be that powerful in the Championship but you've answered your own question, Cocu can only do what he can with the players at his disposal. We've had to cut costs in this transfer window but have still brought in Jóźwiak, Ibe, Duncan and have been missing Waghorn, Lawrence, Sibley, Holmes to an extent. Have them all fit and firing and we'll be okay.

Martin was good for us but we can't afford to keep him, no matter how many times this has to be repeated people still don't get it. I like Marriott but he has been awful in this side for a long time and I can understand why Cocu has decided he needs a change of scenery and we need to go down a different route.

You’re right he can only do what he can with the players he has. I worry that it’ll be tepid, boring and anti attacking football. So I’d rather give these players to someone with a more positive outset. 

38 minutes ago, nfb said:

If one looks at the match stats, we were the better side, more shots, 1 each on target, more posession, better pass accuracy, etc etc, yes, before someone says it, possession etc means nothing if u do nothing with it, but, the last 2 games have been against recent prem sides, and we have no real recognized striker on the pitch (dont say Rooney, what he was is what he was), we need to engage brain and think, Who or what would a new manager appointed next week play up front... until we have options, theres no point sacking Cocu. I'm sure he desperately wanted to get his man in, but whoever negotiates couldn't get it done ? much to everyone's disappointment 

The short passing game is fine but....as Andy Hinchcliffe remarked it takes a long time to get up the pitch. We could really do with a player who has a bit more vision and can hit a pearler of a pass out of midfield. A Charlie George type of pass. trouble is those players cost millions. I’m hoping Bird can become that player, but he would need to become more focussed on attack and less interested in doing a Don Masson / Jacob butterfield  impression. 

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Best performance of the season by a mile and players are close to returning. We will improve and shouldn’t be in danger of going down. 

I didn't realise anyone was even considering the notion of relegation. We will improve when a few players return to fitness, but it's mid table at best this season. 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The short passing game is fine but....as Andy Hinchcliffe remarked it takes a long time to get up the pitch. We could really do with a player who has a bit more vision and can hit a pearler of a pass out of midfield. A Charlie George type of pass. trouble is those players cost millions. I’m hoping Bird can become that player, but he would need to become more focussed on attack and less interested in doing a Don Masson / Jacob butterfield  impression. 

Totally agree with this.

We have no-one in midfield with some vision who will blindside a defence.

Plenty of players who can give and take a simple pass, recycle possession, but no-one who can take a defence by surprise and break their rhythm.

You watch teams like Leeds, Brentford and WBA last year and within minutes we’re being opened up with a incisive forward pass. Brentford at home, it took 2-3 minutes or less.

This is going to be a problem when the likes of Lawrence, Ibe and Jozwiak have indifferent games.

Hopefully we can address it in January or the summer. We’d be foolish not to.

Archived