Positivity?

RoyMac5

Against Blackburn we were hopeless and we'd been poor up until then.

But they made the effort against Norwich and tonight was a case of losing to the one bit of quality in the match.

Last two games they have put in the effort, looked like they knew what they were trying to do and when we get a number 9 fit and the better wingers playing again I think we'll be OK in an unspectaculer mid table fasion.

If the pastings had been continuing, if the players weren't putting the effort in, then I could be on board the misery train by now, but we're not there.

And FWIW, we'd probably still have lost one nil if we'd thrown Marriott on for 10 minutes at the end.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Dwayne Holmes summed us up. Some nice ideas, even some nice touches but ultimately has very little idea what to do.

But that’s the paradox isn’t it

Lil Duane should have set up two clear goal-scoring opportunities but made the wrong pass

Does it appear so lacklustre then? 

I thought we passed the ball well and worked to get forward much quicker throughout the game.

Obviously, we lack a cutting edge ATM. When we get Joswiak, Lawrence, Ibe, Waghorn and even CKR available, it will give us much more attacking options.

The striking positive to me though tonight has been how fair minded most people have been on this forum - from all sides of the Cocu divide.

I think there's a growing realisation that we're undergoing a major rebuild with no finances whatsoever - and that's really difficult. Time and patience will be needed.

However, it does help fans support the club when they can see the level of effort and desire that they put in tonight.

Even if the quality isn't there, even when the experienced attackers are mostly unavailable, it's easier to support the club when the team put a shift in ?

A few I thought. Jason Knight looks better and better with every game. We saw some better passing and movement, we looked pretty solid again defensively and we didn't make it easy for Watford. Theirs was a belter of a goal. The big positive for me was Tom Lawrence. So good to see him back and he looking hungry. Few others to look forward to also, so some positives, yes, but also plenty still to work on / resolve.

37 minutes ago, cannable said:

Lil Duane should have set up two clear goal-scoring opportunities but made the wrong pass

Duane was sooo rusty tonight,he was pretty bad but we know how good he can be.

I'm hoping that this was entirely down to not being match fit.

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

A few I thought. Jason Knight looks better and better with every game. 

Jason Knight is an animal, runs himself into the ground every game and has never given less than 100%. He's going to the very top for his attitude alone, and he has bags of ability on top of it. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

After Watford scored we attempted to go at them. We picked up the pace. Why don't we set up to do that?

Tbf I thought we had started to do that a little before they scored. 

We didn't set up to do that because we didn't have the players to do it. 

52 minutes ago, cannable said:

You know full well that the only measure of attacking intent and decent play is shots on target! Literally nothing else matters.

Even if we score a goal and win the match (Norwich, obviously), the number of shots we had on target aside from the goal is more important than the goal!

"Why didn't we attack them until we were losing?"

Errrrrrrrm, we did!

Duane passes to Rooney instead of Knight, Rooney scores, 1-0, no such complaint.. Duane takes a better touch and doesn't hit over the bar from a good position, 2-0 (although accepting that one event doesn't follow the other if the first event happens)... No such complaints.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

It manifests itself on the pitch - I knew as soon as we went a goal behind that's game over. 

We could have played until next Friday and not score... build up play was ok but we simply had nothing when it came to the killer strike. Even England’s top scorer couldn’t hit the target from the edge of the box... 

Jozwiak returning will allow Knight back into the centre where he will be far more dangerous. Maybe we could start Lawrence and give him 60 minutes and build up his fitness.

Following this we should start to see a steady flow of experienced players returning to the team, all of which will offer something to the team.

Another game for me where we just did not know what to do with the ball after 10 yards inside the opposition half. No one looks confident, no one seems to have any idea of a game plan. I get it - we are missing a few but surely the team should have some direction? Don’t see it. Want cocu to succeed so bad. But two more defeats and just don’t see how anyone can see progression and how anyone can make an argument for his tactics - In turn how can you say he should be in charge? Isn’t that like 10 defeats in 13 or something close. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Because our manager won’t, he has conception of attacking football. It’s all about possession and nicking the odd goal. It’ll never work in the Championship 

His PSV tenure ended with a +247 goal difference but yes he is negative and defensive

7 hours ago, Sean said:

His PSV tenure ended with a +247 goal difference but yes he is negative and defensive

In Holland with with good players not the championship without a forward line. We scored 2 goals in the last 7 games, and we’ve let our best two forwards leave. Please tell me why you think we’ll see anything similar at Derby to a +247 GD?

8 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

A few I thought. Jason Knight looks better and better with every game. We saw some better passing and movement, we looked pretty solid again defensively and we didn't make it easy for Watford. Theirs was a belter of a goal. The big positive for me was Tom Lawrence. So good to see him back and he looking hungry. Few others to look forward to also, so some positives, yes, but also plenty still to work on / resolve.

Agree on Knight, he’s going to be some player (I’m sure we’ll flog him for an old Nissan Micra, a pack of Doritos and some light bulbs then bring in a 35yr old from the Indian premier league to replace him) And brilliant to see Lawrence back even with his dodgy hair cut & cheeky school boy smile, hopefully Ibe will have lost a stone or two and  be fit one day, Turkish Colin will turn out to be Fat Ronaldo re-born and the Polish lad will delight us with skill not seen at PP since that monster truck event. We live in hope and that’s what kills us, COYR?

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

After Watford scored we attempted to go at them. We picked up the pace. Why don't we set up to do that?

Phil doesn’t like it when we play with intensity lol

im just literally lost with us atm 

I’m not a fan at all of cocus style...personal opinion 

we have players out that will improve us... by enough .. I’m not sure about ... and when I say enough im talking keeping our heads above water from the drop

i think as a club we’re in a hole Cos of Mistakes made previously Which Phil is not accountable for 

that said during his reign he’s made Many mistakes tactically that he is accountable for.

If I had a magic wand I’d have taken Hughton before forest and before we got cocu ... just more my style of manager but I Haven’t 

I want to see a project finally come to fruition at Derby and painfully there’s only one way to conclude this story and it’s to let it play out no matter how painful it is  

Although I genuinely fear it’s taking us to a place we really don’t want to go 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Agree on Knight, he’s going to be some player (I’m sure we’ll flog him for an old Nissan Micra, a pack of Doritos and some light bulbs then bring in a 35yr old from the Indian premier league to replace him) And brilliant to see Lawrence back even with his dodgy hair cut & cheeky school boy smile, hopefully Ibe will have lost a stone or two and  be fit one day, Turkish Colin will turn out to be Fat Ronaldo re-born and the Polish lad will delight us with skill not seen at PP since that monster truck event. We live in hope and that’s what kills us, COYR?

I've given this a 'like' as it's almost not completely miserable.

Archived