1 Striker

DCFC1388

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Martin was by far our most prolific player, and we've not signed players that will make up the difference. Keep calling everyone a bed wetter, it doesn't change how poor the end of the window has been for Derby. 

I haven’t called anyone a bedwetter for a week or two, fwiw I don’t think you fall into that bracket.  

You know as much as I do about the Club’s finances, but I don’t think they are too pretty. Many of those in the past who have mocked me with my anti-Mel position are now turning on him (water off a ducks back btw). Why because he doesn’t want to, or can’t, inject further funds into the club. The bedwetters think there is a money tree he just needs to keep shaking for their benefit.

Martin was offered a contract the club could afford. He chose not to take it. Good for him. Let’s see how he does over the season at Bristol shall we and see if he improves on his tally of 11 last season. I doubt it. His scoring record in the two seasons before that were worse, although I suspect his fanboys will insist we have to make some allowance for his health issues.

Looks like we have bought a stopgap till January, and then Mel might have more certainty on the finance front. I think it’s about 12 /14 games we might have to make do with Rooney, CKR and Waghorn. Duncan and Whittaker itching to be given opportunities. No big problem, and for once I do have some sympathy for Mel. He really must be thinking tonight why do I bother.

For me, I’d go for 4-3-3 with a ‘false 9’:

Marshall

Byrne - Te Wierik - Clarke - Forsyth

Bielik

Holmes                 Sibley

Ibe               Lawrence          Jozwiak

We could play Lawrence in the style of an Adam Armstrong type of forward.

I don’t think we have anything to lose and it might make the best of a bad situation and we’d probably be fun to watch and give teams something to think about at the very least.

People say Cocu’s priority was a quality centre forward.

With all due respect, the club didn’t deliver that, so maybe now is the time for a rethink and a readjustment.

49 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree we need 3 options in the striker position for the system we play. The trouble is, we don’t really have that. Rooney isn’t a striker anymore, and Hector-Ingram and Duncan both aren’t ready yet. Our only proper options are Waghorn and Kazim-Richards. That’s neither enough depth, or enough quality. Waghorn is a good player to have coming off the bench, but he’s not a promotion level starting striker. And Kazim-Richards was surely only brought in as emergency cover, with Marriott now gone, he’s going to have to play far more regularly than we’d hoped. It’s just a mess, you can’t deny it. We’ve ended up significantly weakening one of the most fundamental positions in our side, by letting Martin leave without proper replacement. Just like we did in 2016/17. I really struggle to see how we’re going to cope this time.

Whittaker, Whittaker, Whittaker.

Is he invisible to everyone else on here?

Scores at prolifically at every level so far, given a chance, and he will from now on, given his head.

Which is appears CKR can help him with.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Whittaker, Whittaker, Whittaker.

Is he invisible to everyone else on here?

Scores at prolifically at every level so far, given a chance, and he will from now on, given his head.

Which is appears CKR can help him with.

To be fair, I had forgotten about him as a potential striker. I’d like to see him given a chance there, think he’s more suited to it than playing wide. But it’s still an unknown.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I haven’t called anyone a bedwetter for a week or two, fwiw I don’t think you fall into that bracket.  

You know as much as I do about the Club’s finances, but I don’t think they are too pretty. Many of those in the past who have mocked me with my anti-Mel position are now turning on him (water off a ducks back btw). Why because he doesn’t want to, or can’t, inject further funds into the club. The bedwetters think there is a money tree he just needs to keep shaking for their benefit.

Martin was offered a contract the club could afford. He chose not to take it. Good for him. Let’s see how he does over the season at Bristol shall we and see if he improves on his tally of 11 last season. I doubt it. His scoring record in the two seasons before that were worse, although I suspect his fanboys will insist we have to make some allowance for his health issues.

Looks like we have bought a stopgap till January, and then Mel might have more certainty on the finance front. I think it’s about 12 /14 games we might have to make do with Rooney, CKR and Waghorn. Duncan and Whittaker itching to be given opportunities. No big problem, and for once I do have some sympathy for Mel. He really must be thinking tonight why do I bother.

Not verbatim, but I have noticed you been quick to ridicule people who are criticising some of the moves the club has been doing. Some are way over the top, but it's hard to be enamoured. 

Agreed on the finances front, I have no idea what we have or haven't got, but it seems weird to spend the rumoured amount on Jozwiak but then be relying on a 34 year old on a free for the striking position which is arguably more critical. 

I wouldn't blame Mel, he's always put his money in and trusted his managers, which has ultimately not always been the correct decision in hindsight, but that's not on him. I do worry where the goals are coming from. I just don't see them in this team. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not verbatim, but I have noticed you been quick to ridicule people who are criticising some of the moves the club has been doing. Some are way over the top, but it's hard to be enamoured. 

Agreed on the finances front, I have no idea what we have or haven't got, but it seems weird to spend the rumoured amount on Jozwiak but then be relying on a 34 year old on a free for the striking position which is arguably more critical. 

I wouldn't blame Mel, he's always put his money in and trusted his managers, which has ultimately not always been the correct decision in hindsight, but that's not on him. I do worry where the goals are coming from. I just don't see them in this team. 

Me, ridicule people?
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

I cannot remember a more negative team selection at home for many a year absolute shambles Mel on TV just said one word Cocu is not under pressure YET !!!

He also said he puts himself under pressure 

Quite clever that, but I don’t think he meant it the way I’m implying.

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure how we are going to cope replacing the 13 goals Marriott and Martin scored between them last season. Keep forgetting how prolific they were ??

But at this rate it would take us 33 games to score 13 goals.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because he's gash. Always has been. Awful record everywhere he's been, and fans of every club he's been at find it funny that we've signed him. Try put some positive spin on this if you want, he'll be as bad for us as he's been at every other club, when we needed a proper striker, we brought in a poor journeyman. 

Yes but who fault is it we had to buy a striker of this quality not ducking Cocu, we have no funds, so beggers can not be choosers, we really should have got a decent striker in, but like our owner saids there is no pot of gold, it's safely locked up in his bank account for now lol

8 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Yes but who fault is it we had to buy a striker of this quality not ducking Cocu, we have no funds, so beggers can not be choosers, we really should have got a decent striker in, but like our owner saids there is no pot of gold, it's safely locked up in his bank account for now lol

I never said it was Cocu's fault. 

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Yes but who fault is it we had to buy a striker of this quality not ducking Cocu, we have no funds,

We had funds to buy the German striker, to be 'in' for Wilson. He's chosen to sign a striker who has been short-term at most clubs he's been at. Has scored very few goals. And who isn't yet fit.

Archived